Never Watched EVA

WTFDaveMustaine said:
You can compare them on the level that they are human stories. I'd say that's a pretty strong connection.

The main characters in both are also kind of similar. There are also other similarities. Both make a lot of use of silence, train journeys, recurring images and bizarre visions.

Gawyn said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
I didn't enjoy Eva for the mecha battles but for Shinji's character development throughout the run of the series. I think most people just watch it fro some rampant mecha action though which I don't deny it has a fair amount of but it wasn't the main attraction to me.
He developed? He started out a whiny git and ended up the same whiny git in my opinion. Throughout the whole series he was nothing short of a wet fish without a backbone to speak of. The rest of the cast largely didn't fare better, either and it was filled with the kind of people I wouldn't want to associate with. One of my least favourite anime on many levels and the characters were a large part of that.

I have to agree, you really missed the point. Shinji wasn't whiny to begin with, he was emotionally distant and insecure, then he became whiny and in both endings he resolves at least some of that. Did you not also notice that after his self-conscious entrance into the Eva (episode 1) he also eventually arrived at delusions of grandeur (such as when he believes he is heroic and powerful in the bus)? Shinji has a number of subtleties, a backstory to justify his emotional withdrawal (later rekindled by the battle with the 17th angel, due to affection) and, as has already been pointed out, is placed in traumatic and inhuman circumstances.

I also love both endings. The series had a much more subdued and melancholy exploration of existentialism and certain parts of human nature, whilst the End of Eva was a surprisingly deep, symbolic and wonderfully emotional film.

The characters of Eva are all very realistic in my opinion. It's not entirely realistic that a combination of such mentally tortured people happened on the same office, but still.

To the topic creator - buy it if you're an anime fan and collector, if you're somewhat more casual than all that, then rent it or follow your intuition.

This sorta makes this thread kind of Void but
----------------------------
Dun Dun Daaah
I'm on Episode 3 of Eva and i really like it; will be finished watching soon.

silhouette-of-a-void said:
Gawyn said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
I didn't enjoy Eva for the mecha battles but for Shinji's character development throughout the run of the series. I think most people just watch it fro some rampant mecha action though which I don't deny it has a fair amount of but it wasn't the main attraction to me.
He developed? He started out a whiny git and ended up the same whiny git in my opinion. Throughout the whole series he was nothing short of a wet fish without a backbone to speak of. The rest of the cast largely didn't fare better, either and it was filled with the kind of people I wouldn't want to associate with. One of my least favourite anime on many levels and the characters were a large part of that.

I have to agree, you really missed the point. Shinji wasn't whiny to begin with, he was emotionally distant and insecure, then he became whiny and in both endings he resolves at least some of that. Did you not also notice that after his self-conscious entrance into the Eva (episode 1) he also eventually arrived at delusions of grandeur (such as when he believes he is heroic and powerful in the bus)? Shinji has a number of subtleties, a backstory to justify his emotional withdrawal (later rekindled by the battle with the 17th angel, due to affection) and, as has already been pointed out, is placed in traumatic and inhuman circumstances.

I also love both endings. The series had a much more subdued and melancholy exploration of existentialism and certain parts of human nature, whilst the End of Eva was a surprisingly deep, symbolic and wonderfully emotional film.

The characters of Eva are all very realistic in my opinion. It's not entirely realistic that a combination of such mentally tortured people happened on the same office, but still.

To the topic creator - buy it if you're an anime fan and collector, if you're somewhat more casual than all that, then rent it or follow your intuition.

Do my eyes decieve me.
MORE LOGIC.
Great understanding of eva,you have.

It's not entirely realistic that a combination of such mentally tortured people happened on the same office, but still.

Consider the fact that everyone's problems are linked in someway to the office/project. Nobody really has any random problems dissacociated from NERV, second impact etc.

jayme12345 said:
This sorta makes this thread kind of Void but
Dun Dun Daaah
I'm on Episode 3 of Eva and i really like it; will be finished watching soon.

I hope you enjoy, but if you don't that's just your opinion. The series really gets interesting after about episode 10 in my opinion (although I liked the beggining, where some didn't).

Ark said:
It's not entirely realistic that a combination of such mentally tortured people happened on the same office, but still.

Consider the fact that everyone's problems are linked in someway to the office/project. Nobody really has any random problems dissacociated from NERV, second impact etc.

My mistake, thanks for pointing that out.

I enjoyed NGE, but creating two endings (one that didn't make sense, and one that was made to appease NGE fanboys) just doesn't sit well with me. People can plug the "character development" all they want, but it's the story that pulls me in and saves it from mediocrity.

Ugh well I ain't gonna go around explaining it because i'd probably be here typing until tomorrow morning but I think that everything in the series represents something else to Shinji like the Angels and whatnot. Maybe there weren't Angels attacking the Earth, maybe most or all of the characters weren't even real and were just exaggerated or represented a part of himself or others around him and so on.

Somebody else can delve a little deeper if they want.

Maxon said:
That's not something I picked up on. How is it used as symbolism?

I think he meant more that the plot serves merely as stage for which the character development to play itself out on.

Also, End of Eva is the real ending. The last two episodes are the way they are because they ran out of time and money.

Ark said:
Also, End of Eva is the real ending. The last two episodes are the way they are because they ran out of time and money.
Hmm, way I heard it the last two episodes were the way it was supposed to end and they had plenty of time and money. And EoE was kinda Annos answer to all the people who didn't like it - something like "Fine, you don't like character development? Then how about an ending with loads of unnecessary violence and nudity, since that's what you're interested in?"

Y'know, I've been seeing these Eva debates over the ending for years, but I've never seen anyone give any real evidence as to why it ended like it did. Just speculation.

The last two episodes made sense in respect to Shinji's inner struggle but then again it was pretty dull to watch, End Of Eva was a whole lot more fun and said pretty much the same thing.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
The last two episodes made sense in respect to Shinji's inner struggle but then again End Of Eva was a whole lot more fun and said pretty much the same thing.
Oh, I liked both the endings. The only thing I could never figure out was how they were supposed to be the same thing. While they both end in Shinji making a development, as far as I can see the developments are pretty much opposite.

He accepts himself in both, seems like the same to me... well at least that's what I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ramadahl said:
Ark said:
Hmm, way I heard it the last two episodes were the way it was supposed to end and they had plenty of time and money. And EoE was kinda Annos answer to all the people who didn't like it - something like "Fine, you don't like character development? Then how about an ending with loads of unnecessary violence and nudity, since that's what you're interested in?"

Y'know, I've been seeing these Eva debates over the ending for years, but I've never seen anyone give any real evidence as to why it ended like it did. Just speculation.

That's the story according to Aaron Clark of Evamonkey.com. I believe they started production on Death/EoE like 2 weeks after the show finished airing in Japan. They must have had the general storyline in their minds as you see allusions to EoE in the last 2 episodes e.g. Misato and Ritsoko dead, unit 2 underwater.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back