Never Watched EVA

WTFDaveMustaine said:
He accepts himself in both, seems like the same to me... well at least that's what I remember.
True, but I was more referring to the fact that in the series he accepts his friends and family and remains with them inside Lilith, whereas in EoE he remains on the Earth all by himself... unless I was missing something.

Arc said:
That's the story according to Aaron Clark of Evamonkey.com. I believe they started production on Death/EoE like 2 weeks after the show finished airing in Japan. They must have had the general storyline in their minds as you see allusions to EoE in the last 2 episodes e.g. Misato and Ritsoko dead, unit 2 underwater.
Um, where did he get his info from? I couldn't find it on his site...
And even if they did have the general storyline in their minds, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's the "real" ending.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ramadahl said:
Um, where did he get his info from? I couldn't find it on his site...
And even if they did have the general storyline in their minds, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's the "real" ending.

I've heard him say it on a podcast. E-mail him.

Ramadahl said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
He accepts himself in both, seems like the same to me... well at least that's what I remember.
True, but I was more referring to the fact that in the series he accepts his friends and family and remains with them inside Lilith, whereas in EoE he remains on the Earth all by himself... unless I was missing something.
Honestly I think that extra little bit at the end was just to annoy the fans that complained before. He made it so odd that it doesn't really have an answer and even if it does then I'll assume it's symbolic for something else and not actually that he is alone on Earth. It's so vague that it could mean anything.

Ramadahl said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:

No you're not missing something. The people who see the endings are the same see that Shinji comes to the same realisation in both versions and completely miss that the plot of the final two episodes is completely different in many ways from EoE the attack on Nerv is clearly hinted at, but in the TV ending, but in the TV version it is Gendo and not Shinji who initiates third impact with Rei, and lets not forget that as you say, in the TV version Shinji remains inside Lillith.

Arc said:
That's the story according to Aaron Clark of Evamonkey.com. I believe they started production on Death/EoE like 2 weeks after the show finished airing in Japan. They must have had the general storyline in their minds as you see allusions to EoE in the last 2 episodes e.g. Misato and Ritsoko dead, unit 2 underwater.

I've always found the assertion that EoE is the real ending hard to believe, given how different the plot of the two versions is. Gainax have always claimed that the EoE was made as a reaction to the outcry against the TV ending and I'm inclined to believe them, however soon after production they started work on Death. They may already have been planning Rebirth and safter seeing the reaction they probably decided to add the new ending on to the movie they were already making.

Death was originally supposed to be the full alternate ending, which means that the idea of EoE must have evolved significantly during the production of Death & Rebirth. Besides, Anno must have had a general outline in his head of the plot of the final two episodes while he was making them, even if he didn't actually intend show it. The original intention for Death/EoE may well have been to show that plot, to satisfy the demand for an ending "with loads of unnecessary violence and nudity."

Wow i'm glad i'm not an Eva nerd. :p

I watched it again today(End Of) and it seems more like this now i've been reminded.

Series - Acceptance with support

Movie - Acceptance but continuing alone.

That seems to fit more.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Ugh well I ain't gonna go around explaining it because i'd probably be here typing until tomorrow morning but I think that everything in the series represents something else to Shinji like the Angels and whatnot. Maybe there weren't Angels attacking the Earth, maybe most or all of the characters weren't even real and were just exaggerated or represented a part of himself or others around him and so on.

I found Eva over-elaborate and ove-complicated because of things like this... I also found it a very negative series and none of the characters appealed to me at any time. In fact, most of the characters were annoying and came across as pathetic.

Nothing in the series stood out for me at all and I agree with what Gawyn has said in this thread. Definitely not woth splashing £70 on - there are so many more enjoyable series you could buy! :)

7zark7 said:
I found Eva over-elaborate and ove-complicated because of things like this... I also found it a very negative series and none of the characters appealed to me at any time. In fact, most of the characters were annoying and came across as pathetic.

Nothing in the series stood out for me at all and I agree with what Gawyn has said in this thread. Definitely not woth splashing £70 on - there are so many more enjoyable series you could buy! :)
Mmm, the characters aren't really designed to be likeable, they're designed to be realistic and have their own well-developed personalities... and I like them all the more for that :p .

Ramadahl said:
7zark7 said:

Mmm, the characters aren't really designed to be likeable, they're designed to be realistic and have their own well-developed personalities... and I like them all the more for that :p .

It's strange that no one ever says they don't like Lucy from Elfen Lied because she's a relentless killer.

i hate them because i sit htere and watch them kill and al that goes through my mind is if this is real what if that was real, but oh wait relentless killers and tht could ve me on the recieving end of a knife. i mean its just psycological
________
Ultimate Fighter

7zark7 said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
Ugh well I ain't gonna go around explaining it because i'd probably be here typing until tomorrow morning but I think that everything in the series represents something else to Shinji like the Angels and whatnot. Maybe there weren't Angels attacking the Earth, maybe most or all of the characters weren't even real and were just exaggerated or represented a part of himself or others around him and so on.

If nothing in this series stood out then you are clearly BLIND whether you liked the series or not.

Sorry to dig up an older thread but...

NGE is great... Until is disappears into cloud cuckoo land. I’ve seen series which loose track halfway through, but NGE really disappears up its own anus. Much as I like the first half the latter half really takes away from the enjoyment for me.

Hokum said:
Sorry to dig up an older thread but...

NGE is great... Until is disappears into cloud cuckoo land. I’ve seen series which loose track halfway through, but NGE really disappears up its own anus. Much as I like the first half the latter half really takes away from the enjoyment for me.

What do you mean disappears into cloud cuckoo land? It isn't factually realistic at any point.

True, but i'm willing and able to suspend my sense of disbelief, for most things.

But NGE really does shoot off into a shroom enhanced dream of biblical magnitude.

Hokum said:
True, but i'm willing and able to suspend my sense of disbelief, for most things.

But NGE really does shoot off into a shroom enhanced dream of biblical magnitude.

I really don't see how the second half of the series is any more bizarre than the first.

The first half is a lot more subtle, and doesn't have all the questions you want answering. So I sort of see what he means.

Back