MVM Entertainment to announce new anime license soon

Looking over that list from the last page, I think quite a few of them could be done with being made available again, in some kind of budget set form. I missed my chance to get Rune Solider and Dai Guard as well as a few others which I only learned about more recently.

BlackWolf said:
Looking over that list from the last page, I think quite a few of them could be done with being made available again, in some kind of budget set form. I missed my chance to get Rune Solider and Dai Guard as well as a few others which I only learned about more recently.

Dai Guard is still available, and cheap...

Just Passing Through said:
Exactly! A lot of the old ADV crap is still available for pennies, and has been for months or even years. Where's the sense in bringing that back? I mean, Yugo the Negotiator FFS! MVM should look to license something new and exciting, not plunder a dead company's back catalogue of titles that nobody wanted in the first place.

If those titles had any profitability, Funi would have snapped them up by now. The shows they have rescued are presumably profitable in the US market, but here?

There are only 2 or rather 3 titles that spring to mind when it comes to resurrecting ADV's back catalogue.

Neon Genesis Evangelion should not be allowed to go out of print, simply for the impact it had on anime history. It is to TV anime what Akira was to cinema. Like it or hate it, it needs to be out there.

The other 2 are The Place Promised In Our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star. Makoto Shinkai transcends anime, and again, like it or hate it, his work deserves to be part of the cinematic record.

It's all about which title any new anime fan would look to as an essential title from yesteryear, not about how good or bad a respective title may be, but whether watching it would be practically compulsory when it comes to learning what anime is about, where it came from. Most anime shows, brilliant or not, are pretty dispensable.

If I think about it, there are only a few titles that I consider indispensable

Neon Genesis Evangelion
The Makoto Shinkai movies
Akira
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
Bubblegum Crisis

hmm idea for thread...

BlackWolf said:
i missed my chance for Rune Solider too

There are only 2 or rather 3 titles that spring to mind when it comes to resurrecting ADV's back catalogue.

Neon Genesis Evangelion should not be allowed to go out of print, simply for the impact it had on anime history. It is to TV anime what Akira was to cinema. Like it or hate it, it needs to be out there.

The other 2 are The Place Promised In Our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star. Makoto Shinkai transcends anime, and again, like it or hate it, his work deserves to be part of the cinematic record.
totally agree with you

AHEM!

Let's not forget that ADV licensed Last Exile. And that's a show that really NEEDS to be kept around for posterity. It's a classic.

It's also very tricky to find a box set these days.

some people think that most ADV titles dont deserve a second chance but i totally disagree

Azumanga Daioh
Chobits
Elfen Lied
Excel Saga
Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor( before manga rescued it )
Hellsing
Neon Genesis Evangelion
are all classics

HdE said:
AHEM!

Let's not forget that ADV licensed Last Exile. And that's a show that really NEEDS to be kept around for posterity. It's a classic.

It's also very tricky to find a box set these days.
i want that

animefreak17 said:
some people think that most ADV titles dont deserve a second chance but i totally disagree

Azumanga Daioh
Chobits
Elfen Lied
Excel Saga
Hellsing
Neon Genesis Evangelion
are all classics
Chobits was Geneon USA, it's out here from MVM.

Reaper gI said:
animefreak17 said:

Azumanga Daioh
Chobits
Elfen Lied
Excel Saga
Hellsing
Neon Genesis Evangelion
are all classics
................. dame i was looking on the wiki ADV for a list of adv titles i forgot chobits was mvm title but it was oin wiki ADV titles
i cant remember for crap lol

ilmaestro said:
Totally agree with some of that, sure. But I didn't say "none", just about 18 or so I would say looking back at the list.

But who to say what is worth bring back though. I guess both us would say D.N.Angel, 009-1, Jinki:Extend & Coyote Ragtime are show that are not really worth bring back. But all those title have been rescued recently in the USA.

I think the issue facing re-releasing these shows is not the quality of the shows themselves but the issue of HD TV's/Blu Rays. While Blu ray have yet to take off for Anime but may do in the future and with everyone buying TV's with a resoloution of 1080p. Unless those ADV titles have good transfers in the first place or get upscaled Blu-Ray version later on. It may affect the chances for them to sell later on if they look horrid on HD TV.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Exactly! A lot of the old ADV crap is still available for pennies, and has been for months or even years. Where's the sense in bringing that back? I mean, Yugo the Negotiator FFS! MVM should look to license something new and exciting, not plunder a dead company's back catalogue of titles that nobody wanted in the first place.

If those titles had any profitability, Funi would have snapped them up by now. The shows they have rescued are presumably profitable in the US market, but here?

www.anime-on-line.com are a niche seller, try to find Dai-Guard for new on one of the main retailer shops.

I am not saying MVM or any other UK distributor should re-release ADV titles on mass instead on focusing new UK titles. But if some of those ADV titles are available at a reasonable price then they are worth a shot, especially with the titles becoming increasing harder to find in future.

All but one volume of Dai Guard are available at Play.com for £3 each. The other one can be had for a couple of quid from Amazon Marketplace.

But the point is that most old ADV titles probably didn't shift too many units first time around. I suppose there may still be a market for the higher profile titles like Evangelion, Chrono Crusade, Noir, and Rahxephon, but that's about it.

Manga should definitely rescue the Shinkai movies, though, seeing as they have 5cm Per Second.

animefreak17 said:
Reaper gI said:
animefreak17 said:

Azumanga Daioh
Chobits
Elfen Lied
Excel Saga
Hellsing
Neon Genesis Evangelion
are all classics
................. dame i was looking on the wiki ADV for a list of adv titles i forgot chobits was mvm title but it was oin wiki ADV titles
Heh, I gotta get round to finishing that :lol:

Neferpitou said:
But who to say what is worth bring back though.
Me! :p

You make a good point about BD, though, the longer things are left the more important being able to release them in HD becomes.

Paradox295 said:
animefreak17 said:
Reaper gI said:
animefreak17 said:

Azumanga Daioh
Chobits
Elfen Lied
Excel Saga
Hellsing
Neon Genesis Evangelion
are all classics
iv got chobits and its one of my favourites

animefreak17 said:
Paradox295 said:
animefreak17 said:
Reaper gI said:
animefreak17 said:

Azumanga Daioh
Chobits
Elfen Lied
Excel Saga
Hellsing
Neon Genesis Evangelion
are all classics
iv got chobits and its one of my favourites
Not Chobits. The wiki.

fabricatedlunatic said:
All but one volume of Dai Guard are available at Play.com for £3 each. The other one can be had for a couple of quid from Amazon Marketplace.

That the problem, it will be hard to get certain volumes and that will get worse in time. People want to able to get all volumes easily or more preferably have a smaller box set release instead.

fabricatedlunatic said:
But the point is that most old ADV titles probably didn't shift too many units first time around. I suppose there may still be a market for the higher profile titles like Evangelion, Chrono Crusade, Noir, and Rahxephon, but that's about it.

Manga should definitely rescue the Shinkai movies, though, seeing as they have 5cm Per Second.

And also Angelic Layer, Azumanga Daioh, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Cromartie High School, Hellsing TV, Elfen Lied, Excel Saga, Final Fantasy: Unlimited, GetBackers, Kino's Journey, Last Exile, Spriggan, Gunsmith Cats, Martian Successor Nadesico & Movie.

I don't think there too much argument that cheap re-release of those title above wouldn't sell well some point in the future.

The rest title I mention may have some argument against them but are still possibilities if the time is right and theirs a low enough asking price.

A few other thoughts on Re-Releasing titles:

Their maybe no massive license fee as well if they sub licensed the title directly from Funimation. It would mean less profit of course but less risk as you don't need to shift as many units.

If Blu-Ray become the norm we might even see complete series released on one Blu-Ray Disk. With Blu-Ray I don't think you need to bother with encode the material to PAL. I am sure I remembered MANGA mentioning on their twitter that they use Funimation source material often on their Blu-rays.

Not too sure if you have to pay the BBFC fees again though. As even though the Guyver TV series was already rated for ADV it was done again for Manga. I am going to ask Manga on twitter about that.

The only one of those you listed I'd bother saving is Azumanga Daioh. The rest were pretty mediocre for the most part, and only really got bought when ADV were doing their huge stock clearouts before they went bust.

come on there was some good series that ADV released.

anyways any word on what mvm is releasing?

i saw on hmv there releasing
Blade Of The Immortal Collection 3dvd
re releasing Disgaea Collection: 3dvd
Gallants

Back