MVM Entertainment to announce new anime license soon

King Jimmeh said:
The only one of those you listed I'd bother saving is Azumanga Daioh. The rest were pretty mediocre for the most part, and only really got bought when ADV were doing their huge stock clearouts before they went bust.

I think most of the recently announced UK Anime licenses are mediocre to be honest. But it doesn't matter what you or I think about the quality of a title. If it can sell well and make a decent profit then that is all that matters.

Neferpitou said:
I think most of the recently announced UK Anime licenses are mediocre to be honest. But it doesn't matter what you or I think about the quality of a title. If it can sell well and make a decent profit then that is all that matters.

Most releases are little better than just okay. Reviving older mediocre releases after they're no longer recent isn't going to turn much of a profit. Especially when some people will already own copies of them.

The only time a license rescue would really be worthwhile would be if you were able to license a recent sequel for release as well.

Again who is to say what is an mediocre, OK or Good Anime Title and is the perceived quality that important? Many of the most popular series now are also some of the most widely despised animes around. It doesn't mater how they are received by me, you or anyone else. Just as long they can make a profit that is all that matter, as that will help the industry stay a float.

It can be worthwhile re-releasing titles for other reason than just a tie in. For one they could be cheaper title to release. Also been re-released by a company with a larger market share than original company. Offering the same product at much lower price than the original would also help. I could imagine the Helling TV series selling well with online retail price of £14.99(RRP £24.99).

Then what ones of from that list seem to be popular enough to warrant it? If people supposedly were going to pick any of these up, I think it'd be very hard to judge what may do well since a lot of them shows there don't strike me as the type of thing a lot of newer/digital fans watch and so only the older crew would bother picking 'em up. If the license is cheap enough to lose profit on (or break even) and could potentially sell like hotcakes it might be worth looking into but... just seems like a dodgy tactic for a lot of companies who are focused on moving forward.

I have listed titles before in previous post on the thread.

I would thinking the "Manga collection" titles were a bad idea but they sold remarkably well. At the same time I would say XxxHolic would be good title to release but that flopped badly. Every title that is released is a massive gamble which could go either way. There are no guarantees of sales no matter the title.

It not that much of gamble re-releasing old titles as the potential costs are so much lower than releasing newer shows.

Back