UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

O Maiden's is great little coming of age story. I've honestly never been a huge fan of Mari Okada's approach to melodrama or relationships, but the show tones down a lot of her worst excesses and becomes a lot more thoughtful & considered as a result. So there's far less scenes of people shouting lines past each other, or spitting directing venom at thinly-veiled representations from her past. I remember watching the show around the same time I read her earlier autobiography, and it was genuinely refreshing to see how more empathetic her writing had become in just a few short years. I dread to think how she would have portrayed the gyaru character around the time of Anohana/Hanasaku Iroha/Tari Tari, but here it was one of more life affirming subplots.

Between Maquia & this, I thought we really saw a shift with Okada looking back at her previous frustrations with family & school, & re-framing, or attempting understand & see the good it in. As a result, I think they count among her best works.

Can you no longer buy Danmachi S1?
Wasn't season 1 put out by another company (Manga?) with MVM picking up the series with season 2 (and maybe the spin-off?)

Sadly if it was with Funimation it's probably long out of print, even the likes of CEX are selling it for £35 second hand.

Maybe one of these days MVM might be able to 'rescue' season 1 to re-release it in this country, otherwise it won't be the only title where one company started releasing the first season only for another company to release the rest with the 1st season going out of print.

Last edited:
Wasn't season 1 put out by another company (Manga?) with MVM picking up the series with season 2 (and maybe the spin-off?)

Sadly if it was with Funimation it's probably long out of print, even the likes of CEX are selling it for £35 second hand.

Maybe one of these days MVM might be able to 'rescue' season 1 to re-release it in this country, otherwise it won't be the only title where one company started releasing the first season only for another company to release the rest with the 1st season going out of print.

Yeah, Animatsu licensed S1 for the UK before merging in with Manga UK.

Manga UK licensed the movie as well but all the rest has been released by MVM over here.

The S1 OVA never got licensed though, seeing as AL have re-released a few Animatsu titles I'd like to say there's a decent chance that AL or MVM will re-release S1.

Yeah, Animatsu licensed S1 for the UK before merging in with Manga UK.

Manga UK licensed the movie as well but all the rest has been released by MVM over here.

The S1 OVA never got licensed though, seeing as AL have re-released a few Animatsu titles I'd like to say there's a decent chance that AL or MVM will re-release S1.
Seems like the sort of thing AL would do!
Season One with zero chance of subsequent ones, messing up everyone's collection? 😂

That's an amazing deal for a great show. Also reminds me, have MVM said anything about getting the movie? It's already been a while since Sentai's US release.

That's an amazing deal for a great show. Also reminds me, have MVM said anything about getting the movie? It's already been a while since Sentai's US release.

AFAIK the tv series wasn't a great seller for MVM, so I highly doubt they will licence the movie unfortunately.

AFAIK the tv series wasn't a great seller for MVM, so I highly doubt they will licence the movie unfortunately.

Yeah, a while ago they mentioned it wasn't a great seller like @Titan said and because of that they wouldn't be licensing the movie unfortunately.

Now AL are licensing a lot of Sentai titles I wonder if they'd be interested but if it's a low seller then I guess not.

Need to import it myself still as I haven't seen the movie, adore the series, definitely recommend picking it up and the LE is really nice.

Yeah, a while ago they mentioned it wasn't a great seller like @Titan said and because of that they wouldn't be licensing the movie unfortunately.

Now AL are licensing a lot of Sentai titles I wonder if they'd be interested but if it's a low seller then I guess not.

Need to import it myself still as I haven't seen the movie, adore the series, definitely recommend picking it up and the LE is really nice.
Sadly no plans for the movie at this point. Movie titles are also always more expensive to license as well.

Back