UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Kiddy Grade got a Blu in Germany I think
Did Shangri-La get a Blu?
If Last Exile ever got a Blu I'd be over it like a rash.

Ideally they'd be Gonzo titles that have BDs released in the US, and I don't know off hand if titles lik Speedgrapher, Black Cat, Gantz and Desert Punk have been.

I own the Japanese Blu-ray Box for Last Exile, it does include the English dub but no subtitles, although it is just an upscale and looks very similar in quality to the DVD.

lastexile3.jpg

I do have the Funimation Basilisk Blu-ray release, but would definitely double-dip on an AL CE. And I would love to pick up Shangri-La, Speedgrapher, or Gantz on Blu-ray someday, as I have all the US DVD box sets for those as well.

Last edited:
I own the Japanese Blu-ray Box for Last Exile, it does include English subtitles, although it is just an upscale and looks very similar in quality to the DVD.
Wait, it does include English subtitles? Are you absolutely sure? Everything I've seen said it only had the English dub, which is why I never picked it up.

@MVM is there any fixed disk2 of “The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat” available?

I‘ve added to the “Defective discs” entry of this title (see quote below): I don’t think the startup loop is a major thing (as it’s skippable), but the second issues with the subs are a bit less minor.
Pretty old message too reply to, but figured worth mentioning.
Just wanted to confirm same problem with "The hentia prince and the stony cat" disc 2

Ok managed to get round too checking both my disc 2's (one from my store bought copy and one from pot luck disc only) and both have the endless loop of the MVM logo on my PS3 (Also endless loops on my PC via Leawo player), so only way is straight to menu.

Also Subs missing from BBS ep2 as well on both my discs.

I get the impression no-one bothered to order it. It's a sad indictment on our society that we all look down upon DVDs so disdainfully. :)
I buy lots of DVDs, as I got back into anime in 2015, I've probably got what I need.
All I want is to watch the anime. So if the DVD is cheap enough compared to the Blu-ray, I'll buy it.
Collectors editions sound great except it's usually an extra book. Is that it?
I expect more.

I will only buy a DVD if it is a DVD-only title, or if they really screwed up the transfer on the Blu-ray, and the DVD looks better. I actually just received Peach Girl on DVD in the mail yesterday. But my overall anime purchases are at least 50:1 Blu-rays over DVD; I might buy 2 or 3 DVDs in a year's time, while buying 150-200 Blu-rays in that same time. I switched all of my home video hardware totally over to HD 15 years ago, so I have no desire for DVD quality anymore.

In contrast though, I have yet to adopt any 4K capabilities at home yet - One of my Oppo Blu-ray players is 4K, but I have no 4K display to connect it to. My 15 year old HD TV in the living room still has a perfectly good picture, and it would be too costly to replace the projector in my basement theater room with a 4K projector. So even though I do buy some 4K/Blu-ray combo releases, I can't watch any of those 4K discs yet. :(

Last edited:
I'd say its a sad indictment of our society that DVDs are still a thing. Blu Rays have been around for 16 years and yet DVDs are still more or less on parity is mad to me.
I think there are a few reasons why DVD never died. First, they're cheaper, and that's all some people care about. The visible difference between a good quality DVD and a blu-ray depends on a combination of screen size and viewing distance. For people watching on a not-massive TV at living room distances, the flaws in DVDs can be well hidden (aside from PAL speedup, but I only started being bothered by that once I acclimatised to 24p). This is even more the case for people with poor eyesight who don't bother wearing glasses (which makes no sense to me, but they exist in droves).

Then there's the audio situation. I know people with blu-ray players who have gone back to only buying DVDs because they hate having to constantly adjust the volume in movies, or having to turn subtitles on to hear what people are saying in Christopher Nolan movies. I get around these issues by having a soundbar with a dynamic compression option, but Joe Consumer doesn't know that technology exists. This would have been less of an issue if Dolby TrueHD had become the standard audio format, since that supports automated compression, but the prevalence of DTS HD Master Audio killed off that possibility. Even then, it would have relied on Joe Consumer knowing that option was buried somewhere in their player's settings menu.

The broad dynamics on blu-rays used to drive me up the wall before I bought that soundbar. I still think it's dumb that only a handful of discs have optional audio tracks with compressed dynamics.

To stop any debate about picture quality, I'm not arguing about that.
I'm sure plenty of folk around the world like DVD because it's cheaper and so Hollywood has noticed this.
WWE went Blu-ray only for a year or so.
Then started selling DVDs again. They must have noticed a financial gain.
Disney sell 10s of millions of DVDs a year. Is someone suggesting refusing money?
Do you want to argue?

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 5
Thanks.
The first title afaik was native HD, but never received an English friendly Blu-ray. The second has a Blu-ray in Japan, but with awfully low quality...
Including a movie sounds unfair to me.

I don't own #4, and #5, but may buy them seperately later...

Back