UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

May I be the first to suggest the recent US Funi release artwork! I think it was the original Vol.4 cover 😀

But let's be honest, I'll settle for quite literally ANY other piece of art 😉
If I remember correctly, MVM tried to go for that one for the Blu-ray release but they weren't allowed. Of course, MVM can correct me on that.

If I remember correctly, MVM tried to go for that one for the Blu-ray release but they weren't allowed. Of course, MVM can correct me on that.
You'd think with it already being cleared and used on the Funi & Geneon releases they wouldn't have a problem. But I know how 'protective' some studios are about foreign releases.
As in: Stick em with them crap artwork so people don't reverse import.
If I remember correctly the aussie blu had the same artwork but a quick search and the Spanish (i think?) release featuring the same artwork has been edited slightly to make it decidedly slightly less crap 😂

Samurai_Champloo_TV_Series-116866736-large.jpg
You work with what you've got. Brighten it up, frame it a little better, don't stick a giant logo on it. Easy peasy.

Edit. And drop the FHM quote! It's not 2005 anymore 😂

Last edited:
Wasnt Champloo meant to be a poor seller for them? Suprised to see another release of it.

Ive been meaning to try it for years so I'll l probably pick it up if the artwork's nice enough.
The DVD has been a constant good seller, but yes the BD did start off slow. I think as BD is now more common and more easily accessible it has sold much better.
We did, but were instructed we had to use the original art. For the Steelbook art, again it depends on what art is available and what we're allowed to use. End of the day it has to have approval.

I'm a little out of touch so this may have been covered but... Is this new release of Samurai Champloo the same as the earlier release or does it use new masters etc? I remember the earlier blu-ray release garnering a lot of criticism (not just for the cover which never actually bothered me.)

I'm a little out of touch so this may have been covered but... Is this new release of Samurai Champaloo the same as the earlier release or does it use new masters etc? I remember the earlier blu-ray release garnering a lot of criticism (not just for the cover which never actually bothered me.)

There were two releases of Samurai Champloo in the US, the first, Region A locked was a DNR nightmare. It was quite rightly panned. Funimation then went back and remastered it, released it on the Classics label coded Region AB, and that's the good looking transfer, the one to get. That's the only one that MVM have released in the UK.

There were two releases of Samurai Champloo in the US, the first, Region A locked was a DNR nightmare. It was quite rightly panned. Funimation then went back and remastered it, released it on the Classics label coded Region AB, and that's the good looking transfer, the one to get. That's the only one that MVM have released in the UK.

Thanks. I'll stick with the uk release I have then ^_^.

Shouldn't you have had stock pre-prepared and ready to go rather than waiting to see how many sold first.
And than? Unpack those that didn't get sold?
The mystery boxes from MVM usually are a great deal so I've got no problem being patient.

They could have added a "please allow approx 1 week extra time for handling" in the items description for those, who weren't familiar with this.

Yeah I kinda assumed by now there would be a delay because of Gundam stuff or the amount of orders. Only ordered the two DVD boxes so I'm not in a big rush to receive them.

Shouldn't you have had stock pre-prepared and ready to go rather than waiting to see how many sold first.

We did have an initial stock ordered in early before the deal went live, but keeping busy with Anime Ltd's Gundam orders were priority to ship. Take into account it was also a bank holiday, which delayed deliveries. And to make matters worse we're getting just part deliveries, which means I can't do certain bundles because half the stock isn't turning up till the next day and late in the afternoon.

One person can only do so much in a day.

Back