UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Azar

Stand User
Wasnt Champloo meant to be a poor seller for them? Suprised to see another release of it.

Ive been meaning to try it for years so I'll l probably pick it up if the artwork's nice enough.

NormanicGrav

Yume no Shima Shinen Kōen
AUKN Staff
May I be the first to suggest the recent US Funi release artwork! I think it was the original Vol.4 cover 😀

But let's be honest, I'll settle for quite literally ANY other piece of art 😉
If I remember correctly, MVM tried to go for that one for the Blu-ray release but they weren't allowed. Of course, MVM can correct me on that.

Relaxo

School Idol
Small question: Does the current reprint of Love Hina differs in content from the older one? Cause its 5 vs 8 DVDs?
Or were only former DVD5 replaced with DVD9?

Jon O Fun

Hunter
If I remember correctly, MVM tried to go for that one for the Blu-ray release but they weren't allowed. Of course, MVM can correct me on that.
You'd think with it already being cleared and used on the Funi & Geneon releases they wouldn't have a problem. But I know how 'protective' some studios are about foreign releases.
As in: Stick em with them crap artwork so people don't reverse import.
If I remember correctly the aussie blu had the same artwork but a quick search and the Spanish (i think?) release featuring the same artwork has been edited slightly to make it decidedly slightly less crap 😂

Samurai_Champloo_TV_Series-116866736-large.jpg
You work with what you've got. Brighten it up, frame it a little better, don't stick a giant logo on it. Easy peasy.

Edit. And drop the FHM quote! It's not 2005 anymore 😂

Last edited:

MVM

MVM Representative
Industry Representative
Wasnt Champloo meant to be a poor seller for them? Suprised to see another release of it.

Ive been meaning to try it for years so I'll l probably pick it up if the artwork's nice enough.
The DVD has been a constant good seller, but yes the BD did start off slow. I think as BD is now more common and more easily accessible it has sold much better.
We did, but were instructed we had to use the original art. For the Steelbook art, again it depends on what art is available and what we're allowed to use. End of the day it has to have approval.

MVM

MVM Representative
Industry Representative
Small question: Does the current reprint of Love Hina differs in content from the older one? Cause its 5 vs 8 DVDs?
Or were only former DVD5 replaced with DVD9?
The newer version just has the tv series - the original collection had the series and the Xmas & Spring OVAs.

serpantino

Thousand Master
I'm a little out of touch so this may have been covered but... Is this new release of Samurai Champloo the same as the earlier release or does it use new masters etc? I remember the earlier blu-ray release garnering a lot of criticism (not just for the cover which never actually bothered me.)

I'm a little out of touch so this may have been covered but... Is this new release of Samurai Champaloo the same as the earlier release or does it use new masters etc? I remember the earlier blu-ray release garnering a lot of criticism (not just for the cover which never actually bothered me.)
There were two releases of Samurai Champloo in the US, the first, Region A locked was a DNR nightmare. It was quite rightly panned. Funimation then went back and remastered it, released it on the Classics label coded Region AB, and that's the good looking transfer, the one to get. That's the only one that MVM have released in the UK.

serpantino

Thousand Master
There were two releases of Samurai Champloo in the US, the first, Region A locked was a DNR nightmare. It was quite rightly panned. Funimation then went back and remastered it, released it on the Classics label coded Region AB, and that's the good looking transfer, the one to get. That's the only one that MVM have released in the UK.
Thanks. I'll stick with the uk release I have then ^_^.