UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Let's see if Hanabee will get the conversion from NTSC to PAL right. I heard their conversions are very lackluster with higher pitched voices. As stupid as it may sound, if MVM uses an O card for the art box instead of selling company promotion boxes I will definitely buy their CE release.

Robbl said:
Let's see if Hanabee will get the conversion from NTSC to PAL right. I heard their conversions are very lackluster with higher pitched voices. As stupid as it may sound, if MVM uses an O card for the art box instead of selling company promotion boxes I will definitely buy their CE release.

Are you talking about Maid Sama?

Because the check discs for that are NTSC. In fact all of November's releases bar Rozen Mozen are NTSC

Although half are December releases now with the delays.

Just Passing Through said:
Robbl said:

Are you talking about Maid Sama?

Because the check discs for that are NTSC. In fact all of November's releases bar Rozen Mozen are NTSC

Although half are December releases now with the delays.
I'm talking about Fate

korat56 said:
anyone have any idea if Monster Musume will come with Almost Daily OO! Sort of Live Video we got what why shana so i think the odds are good.

It's too early to know what sort of extras will be included with the set. We'll have to wait until late 2016 for any information on its release.

Robbl said:

That's a feature of NTSC to PAL conversion, unless you pitch-shift, it's impossible to avoid.

Buzz201 said:
Robbl said:
Let's see if Hanabee will get the conversion from NTSC to PAL right. I heard their conversions are very lackluster with higher pitched voices.
That's a feature of NTSC to PAL conversion, unless you pitch-shift, it's impossible to avoid.
NTSC has a higher framerate (30fps) than PAL (25fps) so using framerate conversion would result in a whopping 20% slowdown.
The speedup occurs when going from film rate, 24fps, which applies to all modern anime which is sourced from HD masters and results in a 4% speedup. Madman always pitch shift the result, but not everyone else does.

Shiroi Hane said:
NTSC has a higher framerate (30fps) than PAL (25fps) so using framerate conversion would result in a whopping 20% slowdown.
The speedup occurs when going from film rate, 24fps, which applies to all modern anime which is sourced from HD masters and results in a 4% speedup. Madman always pitch shift the result, but not everyone else does.

I've heard complaints about Madman's pitch-shifting, so its probably a case of being damned if you and damned if you don't.

Then again, there are people on Amazon that seemed confused by NTSC DVDs being released in the UK, so it really is a lose-lose-lose scenario.

Shiroi Hane said:
Buzz201 said:
Robbl said:
Let's see if Hanabee will get the conversion from NTSC to PAL right. I heard their conversions are very lackluster with higher pitched voices.

NTSC's 30fps accomodate's film's 24fps quite well without speedup or pitchshifting, through mathematics and interpolation. Blended frames and interlacing and the like. It's also why correctly encoded NTSC can be decoded back to native 24fps playback by progressive DVD players. (You couldn't do that on older anime with 24fps animation and 30fps native CGI). With PAL, 24 into 25 doesn't go as easily, hence NTSC-PAL conversions or 4% speedup

NormanicGrav said:
Emulsion said:
Unlimited Blades Works part 1 Blu-ray is listed as £92.36 on Amazon.

Blimey. For comparison, Hanabee version is AU$129.99 (~£61.85).

Yeah was just checking this myself. This would be a more fitting title to discuss in the " sad example' thread due to the ridiculous disparity.

Might see what up1 do with the Australian version.

So same cost as the KNK box set, similar run time and on blu ray. Count me in on this flawed (well as a stand alone anime anyway) but good series that I was thoroughly hyped about when it came out.

Back