UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Smeelia said:
I wonder why MVM are restricted to DVD only for Maid-Sama. On the US end it has been out for a while and on both DVD and Blu-ray
That's probably why. MVM don't make or commission their own BDs; they can only release anything on BD if someone else is making some and is willing to add a BBFC logo. If the US release has been out for a while then that ship has sailed. I don't believe anyone in Australia has the series, so that is not an option at present either (maybe they are hoping that will change by the time they release a collection).

Shiroi Hane said:
That's probably why. MVM don't make or commission their own BDs; they can only release anything on BD if someone else is making some and is willing to add a BBFC logo. If the US release has been out for a while then that ship has sailed. I don't believe anyone in Australia has the series, so that is not an option at present either (maybe they are hoping that will change by the time they release a collection).
That's a good point. The wording of their comment is open enough that it could be pretty much anything stopping them from releasing a Blu-ray.

If that is the problem, maybe it's getting to time that MVM tried to find a way to overcome that restriction.

I went to Cambridge and spotted Captain Earth Part 1 and Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse Part 1 in HMV (both are on Blu-ray). I noticed that the spine only has the BBFC, MVM logo and main title with no mention of Part 1 whatsoever. Strange..

And I say 'strange' because the Hanabee covers do have Part 1 on the spine.

thedoctor2016 said:
Does anyone know who has the AUS to UBW as i wonder if thats the reason our release won't come till next year even though the US got it today

It's being released by Aniplex of America in the US, so chances are MVM couldn't release it for a while, and if they could, they'd probably have to charge something ridiculously over the odds. MVM may as well wait until they can get the price or volume count down.

Fate Zero got a not very good quality release so i hope it improves over that and comes out Jan next year as i think a 6 month release from US-UK is disgraceful

thedoctor2016 said:
Fate Zero got a not very good quality release so i hope it improves over that and comes out Jan next year as i think a 6 month release from US-UK is disgraceful
You're misunderstanding me. The only reason the US is getting F/SN UBW so quickly is because it's licensed by Aniplex's subsidiary Aniplex of America, and they are changing well over the odds for it.

That releases costs £114 for 13 episodes, a 24 page booklet, a box and a PR card. Even Nasu's mother would probably find that price point outrageous. Unless you want to pay prices like that, deal with a long lag time...

thedoctor2016 said:
Ive already payed £250 for 13eps i just want the dub

I'm sorry what?! WHO THE HELL HAS THAT KIND OF MONEY?!

I knew Type-Moon fans were obsessive, but you know you're being had right?

I'm truly baffled. Do you really love UBW that much? £500 is a lot of money, you could subscribe to Crunchyroll for over 8 years or buy 33+ brand new release films. You could buy three PS Vitas and still have money to spend on games.

I don't think I'd ever be able to justify that amount of money on one series, especially one that's only 26/7 episodes.

thedoctor2016 said:
Does anyone know who has the AUS to UBW as i wonder if thats the reason our release won't come till next year even though the US got it today

While Aniplex of America do have Fate/stay night, Hanabee has the rights for the series in Australia (they apparently outbid Madman for them, Madman has Fate/zero btw).

Considering Fate/stay night Box 1 is 4 Blu-rays, Hanabee will probably shrink it to 3 Blu-rays (as 3 of the episodes (Episodes 0, 1 & 12) are double-length it would probably be a problem to fit onto 2 Blu-rays).

Yeah i wondered as i knew madman had F/Z (says on my discs) but couldn't find anything on there site so Hanabee have it wonder how long it will take for them to produce there discs

Buzz201 said:

I find this comment pretty rude. People who do things like import the Japanese releases are being had?

Imagine if Japanese otaku had this terrible mindset. We probably would never have seen any F/Z anime adaptations. Or for that matter, not much anime at all  (*`д´*).

thedoctor2016 said:
Yeah i wondered as i knew madman had F/Z (says on my discs) but couldn't find anything on there site so Hanabee have it wonder how long it will take for them to produce there discs

I don't think the Australian Q4 line-up is revealed yet so it's possible F/SN might come up and then MVM will probably release it as soon as January.

DesuDayo said:
Well if you have a job you're likely to have money to spend.

Buzz201 said:

I find this comment pretty rude. People who do things like import the Japanese releases are being had?

Imagine if Japanese otaku had this terrible mindset. We probably would never have seen any F/Z anime adaptations. Or for that matter, not much anime at all  (*`д´*).

So, you insinuate that I don't have a job, only to then accuse me of being rude. Hmm.

Anyway in order to avoid an argument I will assume your post wasn't written as rudely as it came across, and clarify that my comment was more about how I couldn't justify spending that much on a single purchase rather than whether I could afford it or not.

I know it's not good for the future of the medium, but would I accept being asked to pay £500 for 27 or so episodes? No. Therefore, should I expect Japanese fans to do the same? No. I can see how that might be considered selfish or arsey, but it's not a viable business model. It's going to collapse at some point, in fact, I'm amazed it hasn't already.

I removed that first sentence as I had a whole paragraph there initially, but felt that I didn't need it to strengthen my point. And what was accidentally left of that paragraph was not directed towards any individual. It was just a statement that if you make money you can spend money as well. Nothing else.

But this is directed at you; Learn the market. If you understood the anime industry and its market in Japan i highly doubt that you'd say that the current business model "isn't viable".

DesuDayo said:
But this is directed at you; Learn the market. If you understood the anime industry and its market in Japan i highly doubt that you'd say that the current business model "isn't viable".

Did you see this? http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... sts/.91536

Not one of the persons interviewed suggests it's a good model and one even explicitly says "Expecting to make that [a budget of $1.2-1.6m] up through disc sales alone is a hopeless business model, but that's how almost all late night anime are," He quotes the lowest figure and suggests they can't make that back from disc scales, so if the others are accurate the situation must be even worse.

If you rely on a few big hits to finance your entire business all it would take is a company to go a year or two without a big hitter, and they could find themselves in trouble. It's hard to see how that could be considered sustainable under any definition of the word.

NormanicGrav said:
thedoctor2016 said:

I don't think the Australian Q4 line-up is revealed yet so it's possible F/SN might come up and then MVM will probably release it as soon as January.

That is great news lets hope they release it this year when there Q4 releases are announced

Back