UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

As someone who doesn't go after MVM sets (hint: this will change in 2017), I did think their Sentai replica(-ish) sets were pretty decent, most notably Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun and No Game No Life. Sure the box could have done without the logos but the content itself was good enough value. Eccentric Family and Lull in the Sea were solid replicas of the NIS America Premium Edition.

I mean, the Fate UBW sets are decent. I'm sorry, but a slight misalignment on the box does not equal bad. You're acting as if the only two options are Perfection or Utter Garbage.

It were all the little things that added up
  • Thinner art case than the Hanabee release
  • Unremovable MVM and BBFC Logos
  • Rencoded episodes to fit on a BD25
  • Misalignment of the embossments
  • No soundtrack (This wasn't that bad since the soundtrack wasn't that memorable and it kept the retail cost low)

Yeah got the name wrong too lol, but it was a nice set. I imagine people will Moan that it wasn't as nice as the USA release though because of bbfc logos etc.

Yeah, they will. Never got the BBFC complaints. Like, it's preferable to not have them, but it's not enough to make me spend way more on an import...

It were all the little things that added up
  • Thinner art case than the Hanabee release
  • Unremovable MVM and BBFC Logos
  • Rencoded episodes to fit on a BD25
  • Misalignment of the embossments
  • No soundtrack (This wasn't that bad since the soundtrack wasn't that memorable and it kept the retail cost low)

Once again, not seeing how that's not decent. As I mentioned above, logos on boxes for me is neither here nor there, and I'm also not a videophile, nor are the majority of people likely watching. Hell, I own the set I never noticed any of these issues. At some point, you have to accept that, to most people, this the set is very nice. Calling it bad is just wrong, as far as I'm concerned. Is it not as good as it possibly could have been? Sure, but that doesn't mean it's inherently bad.

@Robbl lull in the sea and No Game No life's sets are perfectly fine. Do you employ the same standards to the releases you import and pay huge amounts of money for? Buy what you want but Im quite happy to support thier releases.

I'm also not a videophile, nor are the majority of people likely watching.
If I wasn't intrested in quality I'd just watch them on Crunchyroll or whereever, no point in buying Blu-ray sets that don't look great on your shelf or on Screen.

Calling it bad is just wrong, as far as I'm concerned. Is it not as good as it possibly could have been? Sure, but that doesn't mean it's inherently bad.
I never called it bad, it just has a lot of issues for me.

@Robbl lull in the sea and No Game No life's sets are perfectly fine. Do you employ the same standards to the releases you import and pay huge amounts of money for? Buy what you want but Im quite happy to support thier releases.
I never imported US or JP releases. I'm just disappointed that MVMs release are downgraded.
A Lull in the Sea did get damaged during shipment. Twice. Now this may be due to the art case being thinner than the NIS release or Amazon has subpar packaging. Also no glitter embossment.

If I wasn't intrested in quality I'd just watch them on Crunchyroll or whereever, no point in buying Blu-ray sets that don't look perfect on your shelf.
To keep indefinitely, to access the dub and home video versions of episodes, to access bonus features, for a tangible higher quality version of the show. Don't assume everybody else shares your priorities.

Plus, MVM's CEs are exceptional. They're doing better work than AL, Universal and Manga Animatsu. Generally at lower prices too. The only issue I have is that they never pick up any titles I want.

If I wasn't intrested in quality I'd just watch them on Crunchyroll or whereever, no point in buying Blu-ray sets that don't look great on your shelf or on Screen.

I just like owning shows. It doesn't have to be this amazing, 10/10 $30,000 AoA set for me to buy it. I just want to support shows I really like, and there's also examples of CR pulling shows due to licensing. Then there's also the added incentive of stuff like dubs and physical extras like booklets.

I never called it bad, it just has a lot of issues for me.

Your post did imply it was less than decent, why is probably somewhere near bad.

TRIGGERED. Yeah Yuki Kaij for Zero's was better but it is a really good soundtrack the 2015 EMIYA is now my fav version.
Yes Kaji coming back for HF is good too. But also dont use the no soundtrack as a complaint then **** on the soundtrack

Iluvatar is in Belgium(?) if I recall, so not supporting a completely different country's local industry and picking the best option from across the world makes perfect sense. It's what I do even from the UK. Having said that, I have really liked MVM's efforts to step up their CE game lately while also supporting cheaper releases! The Lull In The Sea (NagiAsu) set was especially notable as they clearly got involved right from the start; they weren't straight up copying a foreign release but contributing to the foreign release from the beginning. I have no idea why the shimmer effect was lost in the UK (a simple mistake?) but when that's literally the only complaint, it's a sign it was a pretty good set.

The main reason I like MVM is that they fly against the other companies and license a bunch of really quirky stuff, as well as stuff aimed at people often overlooked (like the entire female fan population most of the time). The UK market wouldn't be what it is today without them. And they listen, too; if people give feedback about what they do and don't like about the CEs, I really believe they'll improve.

R

I don't own that many of MVM's CE's (only Nozaki-kun and Love Live) but I've been pretty impressed with them for the price they charge for them. Sure they're often not as fancy as AL's, but considering how much cheaper they are most of the time, I think they're pretty good value.

Back