UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Just because it's not coming from MVM doesn't mean it's not coming at all. Andy Hanley on Twitter said someone is releasing it in 2017, but he's obviously not saying who. My bet would be on Manga, since AL don't do Sentai shows, or perhaps Universal.

I just went and checked the tweet since I didn't read the post properly, and did see the wording "from us". Jumped the gun slightly.

Please be universal over manga. I'd actually want a semi-nice release for it. I have some really old US DVD set of Higurashi somewhere but would really like a Blu-ray of Higurashi, and Higurashi Kai.

I'm so happy to see someone is going to be releasing Higurashi over here, it's my favourite series ever <3 Hopefully it's blu ray so I can retire my dvd sets, though I will double dip regardless.

If it's a Sentai title elsewhere and MVM don't have it here then my guess would be on Manga/Animatsu.

If so, I'd expect the discs to be clones of the Sentai version.
Hopefully with a standard edition. I hate paying a few extra quid for a slipcase I'll just be binning anyway.

Either way, not being MVM gives it a somewhat higher chance of getting a BD release over here.
MVM are getting better but somwtimes still tend towards DVD only if they need to make savings.

If its manga they will release season 1 on Blu-ray, and season 2 on DVD only just to annoy people.

(my fairy tail collection will never be uniform, and complete)

Serial Experiments Lain Collector's Edition will include the following:
  • Rigid Slipcase
  • 4 Artcards
  • Blu-ray & DVD
The release will also be using Funimation's masters.

Serial Experiments Lain Collector's Edition will include the following:
  • Rigid Slipcase
  • 4 Artcards
  • Blu-ray & DVD
The release will also be using Funimation's masters.

I would have thought they'd use Sony AU's reworking of the Funimation masters. That too is a combo release, with the Blu-rays Region ABC, and the DVDs Regions 2,4, while Funi's is Region A locked.

I've also heard there are two different versions of the video quality - Funimation's and Sony Universal.

So I was hoping someone would go into good detail on a comparison.

Importing God Eater is pointless. Support UK companies don't just assume the release will suck.

I don't buy release for supporting a companie, I buy a release because I like the show and I like the release, and in the case of release, MVM have "almost" (not ever) always disapointed me.
I don't particulary like MVM, the vast majority of theirs releases is SE (witch I don't buy, if I just want to see the show I watch-it on CR or whatever) and when they do CE (well, importing CE from others companies is more true...) they frequently do inferior CE aka : logo printed on spine, BBFC, lack of some bonus (No ost for UBW for example) sometime (especially for Aniplex shows) inferior video quality, etc.
The only advantage is theirs prices, it's alway's cheaper than US/JP/whatever releases, and it's a good thing for most of the buyers I don't deny that, but in my case the price is not a wall, I don't buy many releases so, paying 200-300-400$ for a Jp quality 12 episodes show is not a big deal at all.

But don't get me wrong I don't say that only because it's MVM I do the same for others companies as well, my fav show from 2014 was Ping Pong and I was pretty hyped for the UK release but in the end I didn't buy the UK release because of that ulgy logo on the spine (a AL fav thing to do it seem's) it's maybe a ridiculusly little details for you but it's a eyesore for me, I don't want to see that ugly spine on my shelves, so I bought the US release who unfortunatly have amarays case instead of digipacks (shame that show didn't get a solid CE release anywere, exept Japan) that's why I also didn't buy the UK version of Psycho Pass. (yeah I really hate that freaking logo. :D)

Same goes for AOA, i didn't buy UBW from them because their release was kind of meh : amaray cases (don't bring the amaray vs digipack debate here please, I prefer digipack when it's possible, nothing to debate) lack of booklets content (the JP have much more) no drama cd, etc. so I bought the JP release, who cost way more but like I said earlier, not a problem.
And for the fun, their release for Kizumonogatari look incredibly ugly in comparaison to the Jp version (shame there no US sub on the JP).

So, no I don't buy for supporting companies.
Ok, I maybe have been a little too fast in my desicion. maybe MVM will do an incredible CE for God Eater (With digipack, OST, booklets, clean artbox, no printed logo etc.) but I really don't think so.
I hope i'm wrong of course.

I'm not asking you to support a particular company but without the companies there would be no UK anime industry and to be frank it's a rather elitist attitude.

We don't all have the luxury or money to import super expensive sets from abroad. MVM have released several decent collectors sets . Seriouly importing for the sake of it is one one that biggest things that pisses me off about UK fandom. If you want a fancy box set of the series by all means import but don't just presume the UK release is gonna suck without any information.
There is also nothing wrong with standard editions either. Sometimes they are quite welcome.

Back