UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

I guess AL snapping up Sentai titles has made MVM look elsewhere. Ninja Scroll TV and now Tenjho Tenge, it’s good to see more Discotek titles coming to the UK. As long as it’s the same or better, I will always be happy to support the local release especially with how hard and pricey Discotek titles can be to get at times. Maybe we can get Iria on blu ray? Please MVM.

I guess AL snapping up Sentai titles has made MVM look elsewhere. Ninja Scroll TV and now Tenjho Tenge, it’s good to see more Discotek titles coming to the UK. As long as it’s the same or better, I will always be happy to support the local release especially with how hard and pricey Discotek titles can be to get at times. Maybe we can get Iria on blu ray? Please MVM.
Would be nice if they would consider Sherlock Hound the Blu-ray is really awesome would be nice to have a Region B release

Would be nice if they would consider Sherlock Hound the Blu-ray is really awesome would be nice to have a Region B release
While there are so many great titles MVM could get, I would love for them to get Sherlock Hound. I don't know how well older anime sells but the Sherlock name and Miyazaki being connected to it, would probally help its sales in the UK. Even if its a bit more obscure compared to his other works.

While there are so many great titles MVM could get, I would love for them to get Sherlock Hound. I don't know how well older anime sells but the Sherlock name and Miyazaki being connected to it, would probally help its sales in the UK. Even if its a bit more obscure compared to his other works.

I've heard it mentioned from a few sources that attempts at releasing pre-90's (& not-Gundam) titles have performed terribly. Like double-digits bad in some cases. There's no established historical exposure, & thus fandom here, or even appreciation for the classics like in France & Italy, nor is the country large enough to justify limited releases, like Discotek in America can get away with.

I'm actually curious how well those Patlabor films sold for AL, as the franchise never sold well in the states, and I can imagine the situation being radically different here, particularly without the Manga dub. I mean MVM never continued on from their first ova release. That's telling.

At the end of the day I'd love to pay for a collector's Aim for the Ace, Glass Mask or Lady Georgie set over here, but I'd probably be one in about fifty doing so. :(

I've heard it mentioned from a few sources that attempts at releasing pre-90's (& not-Gundam) titles have performed terribly. Like double-digits bad in some cases. There's no established historical exposure, & thus fandom here, or even appreciation for the classics like in France & Italy, nor is the country large enough to justify limited releases, like Discotek in America can get away with.

I'm actually curious how well those Patlabor films sold for AL, as the franchise never sold well in the states, and I can imagine the situation being radically different here, particularly without the Manga dub. I mean MVM never continued on from their first ova release. That's telling.

At the end of the day I'd love to pay for a collector's Aim for the Ace, Glass Mask or Lady Georgie set over here, but I'd probably be one in about fifty doing so. :(
I remember watching a load of Sherlock Hound in the 80s as a kid. That, Willy Fog (the around the world in 80 days thing) and Mysterious Cities of Gold were on every school holidays from late 80s to early 90s.

I think with a proper release, they could get some nostalgia going. I know MCoG had a release but I’ve not picked it up so I can’t say how good it is, but it’s on my to buy list if I see it for a decent price.

AAAAA I WOULD LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVE a UK release for Aim for the Ace, Glass Mask and Lady Georgie! Same with The Rose of Versailles and Dear Brother (Oniisama e...)!

I'm a big fan of Shojo anime, and have the US Blu-rays for all five of those series - but I would love to double-dip on Collector Edition sets of any or all of those myself, and especially if they included digipaks. So which one of those series would you like me to watch for you first? 🤔 😉

I'm a big fan of Shojo anime, and have the US Blu-rays for all five of those series - but I would love to double-dip on Collector Edition sets of any or all of those myself, and especially if they included digipaks. So which one of those series would you like me to watch for you first? 🤔 😉
The Rose of Versailles or Dear Brother cause Riyoko Ikeda + Osamu Dezaki = peak fiction

I remember watching a load of Sherlock Hound in the 80s as a kid. That, Willy Fog (the around the world in 80 days thing) and Mysterious Cities of Gold were on every school holidays from late 80s to early 90s.

I think with a proper release, they could get some nostalgia going. I know MCoG had a release but I’ve not picked it up so I can’t say how good it is, but it’s on my to buy list if I see it for a decent price.
Used to love watching Willy Fog and Cities of Gold - another 80s show I used to enjoy that used to be on was Belle and Sebastian.

But in terms of earlier/older anime it can be hit and miss. As someone mentioned regarding our Patlabor OVAs - the franchise pretty well known, but the second one was released only on DVD (a decision due to Australia's sales) due to not great sales on the first OVA. It would be interesting to know what generation of fans purchased Future Boy Conan for example - did the younger generation enjoy it, or did it only appeal to older fans etc.

But we're certainly not against releasing older anime - in fact we're in the process of looking into re-licensing some older titles 🤫

Used to love watching Willy Fog and Cities of Gold - another 80s show I used to enjoy that used to be on was Belle and Sebastian.

But in terms of earlier/older anime it can be hit and miss. As someone mentioned regarding our Patlabor OVAs - the franchise pretty well known, but the second one was released only on DVD (a decision due to Australia's sales) due to not great sales on the first OVA. It would be interesting to know what generation of fans purchased Future Boy Conan for example - did the younger generation enjoy it, or did it only appeal to older fans etc.

But we're certainly not against releasing older anime - in fact we're in the process of looking into re-licensing some older titles 🤫
Any chance of older anime from the 90's/00's that are still unfortunately DVD only such as Tenchi Universe, Ghost Stories or some of the Burn-Up series?

Would ye consider a Sherlock hound release as of now the Blu-ray has no region B release

I purchased Future Boy Conan on 4k although admittedly I’ve not got round to watching it yet as I’ve had one foot in a Lupin hole and the other in a Yowamushi Pedal hole.

Any chance of older anime from the 90's/00's that are still unfortunately DVD only such as Tenchi Universe, Ghost Stories or some of the Burn-Up series?
This goes for any older anime, not just the ones you've mentioned but would be A) the license would be available for UK rights, B) the series has been released on Blu-Ray. If it's available only on DVD they just don't sell as well bar the odd exceptions (Trigun for example).

Back