Must-see anime movies

Definitely got my names mixed up there gents! šŸ¤£

Are the other Hosoda films better/worth a go?

I don't think I've seen a single Satoshi film so out of the ones they've done, is there a good starting point?
Personally Summer Wars is my favourite Hosoda film but I know that's not true for most. The Girl who leapt through time is a very good film (my next favourite so maybe start there though his films are pretty varied. If you want something with more of a fantasy element then Wolf Children and Boy and the Beast are solid films. I know Wolf Children tops some peoples lists for Hosoda films but its lower down the list for me personally.

For Satoshi Kon I'd say watch the 4 films in release order. Each one is basically a different genre but they all have dense multi layered storytelling and are, in my view, must watch anime films.

I'd be more likely to just throw on a Hosoda film to chill out but a Kon film is more of an event.

Personally Summer Wars is my favourite Hosoda film but I know that's not true for most. The Girl who leapt through time is a very good film (my next favourite so maybe start there though his films are pretty varied. If you want something with more of a fantasy element then Wolf Children and Boy and the Beast are solid films. I know Wolf Children tops some peoples lists for Hosoda films but its lower down the list for me personally.

For Satoshi Kon I'd say watch the 4 films in release order. Each one is basically a different genre but they all have dense multi layered storytelling and are, in my view, must watch anime films.

I'd be more likely to just throw on a Hosoda film to chill out but a Kon film is more of an event.

Alright thanks, I'll check em out!

I know Wolf Children tops some peoples lists for Hosoda films but its lower down the list for me personally.
The same is true for me as well, actually. šŸ˜Æ

You know, one Hosoda film that I think is criminally underrated is The Boy and the Beast. So much so that even you forgot about it, man! šŸ˜†

I don't think I've seen a single Satoshi film so out of the ones they've done, is there a good starting point?
For what it's worth, my own personal favourite Kon film is Paprika. šŸ‘Œ

is there a good starting point?
Depends how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go. The Kon-weird-ometer* for me goes (from normal to mind bending): Tokyo Godfathers (another of my 10/10s), Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue, and Paprika.
*patent pending

Here's some of my film recommendations from an old thread:

Blimey 3 years old, might be a few differences now.

To everyone: Is there a thread somewhere with "must watch" anime films? I mostly watch series, but I don't mind dipping into films sometimes, I probably only watch 1 film for every 10 shows I watch, but if I can watch the crĆØme de la crĆØme I don't mind doing so slowly.

I guess there is now, thanks to all of you chatterboxes! ;)

Satoshi Kon is one of my favourites. Millennium Actress is the best of the bunch in my book (despite being the least exciting to describe) but I second the recommendation to just watch them all in order. They're all interesting in their own ways.

R

Satoshi Kon is one of my favourites. Millennium Actress is the best of the bunch in my book (despite being the least exciting to describe) but I second the recommendation to just watch them all in order. They're all interesting in their own ways.
Seconded. While I love them all Iā€™ve always found Millennium Actress had the greatest impact and, I think, worked the best. Perfect Blue would be a close second. Paprika is amazing but feels a little more disjointed and Tokyo Godfathers a bit more straightforward, if that all makes sense. I just wish he had time to show us more (release what there is of The Dreaming Machine already, powers that be, although that probably belongs in another thread: ā€œcanā€™t see anime filmsā€).

Woohoo, moved to it's own thread so I am now free to ramble on this subject! I would highly recommend watching all of Kon's movies, especially as you liked Monogatari I think you'd like Kon's works. And don't forget his only series, Paranoia Agent, that is also excellent.

I'll also add my vote to Millennium Actress being my favourite of his works, but they all are really excellent and eclectic. If you end up liking his stuff, then also check out his short film Magnetic Rose, which is one of three short films in Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories.

Woohoo, moved to it's own thread so I am now free to ramble on this subject! I would highly recommend watching all of Kon's movies, especially as you liked Monogatari I think you'd like Kon's works. And don't forget his only series, Paranoia Agent, that is also excellent.

I'll also add my vote to Millennium Actress being my favourite of his works, but they all are really excellent and eclectic. If you end up liking his stuff, then also check out his short film Magnetic Rose, which is one of three short films in Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories.

May try one out this weekend :)

Will report back if I do!

About to re-buy Paranoia Agent for the 3rd time and Discotek are re-releasing Memories soon on Blu-ray and this time it has a dub, which a sub purist on another forum said was outstanding. Canā€™t wait šŸ˜

About to re-buy Paranoia Agent for the 3rd time and Discotek are re-releasing Memories soon on Blu-ray and this time it has a dub, which a sub purist on another forum said was outstanding. Canā€™t wait šŸ˜
Heh yeah I bought (pre-ordered) a second copy now with the upcoming blu ray. Still attached to my dvd set so can't see myself getting rid of it (yet anyway).

Good to know about Memories, after chatting with Neil.T & WMD I got the dvd from CEX but would be happy to get a blu ray version if it was eventually released here (I believe discotek release are region locked but do they make their way to our shores generally?).

Heh yeah I bought (pre-ordered) a second copy now with the upcoming blu ray. Still attached to my dvd set so can't see myself getting rid of it (yet anyway).

Good to know about Memories, after chatting with Neil.T & WMD I got the dvd from CEX but would be happy to get a blu ray version if it was eventually released here (I believe discotek release are region locked but do they make their way to our shores generally?).
Iā€™d highly recommend getting a multi region blu-ray player..

I think it always depends. They release lots of old shows that I believe will never get a release over here but with some u never know and I reckon Andrew at Anime Ltd would love to release memories.

Just had a quick scan and not many of their titles have had a release over here Freedom & Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust but think we got them first. If u want their releases a Multi Region Blu-ray is the way to go.

Iā€™d highly recommend getting a multi region blu-ray player..

I think it always depends. They release lots of old shows that I believe will never get a release over here but with some u never know and I reckon Andrew at Anime Ltd would love to release memories.

Just had a quick scan and not many of their titles have had a release over here Freedom & Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust but think we got them first. If u want their releases a Multi Region Blu-ray is the way to go.
Yeah I've been toying with the idea of getting one forever and probably will eventually give up and buy one this year heh. Any particular ones or stores you would recommend?

Have a few US imports languishing in my collection, of which I really, really want to watch Liz & the Bluebird but wanting to re-watch all of Sound! Euphonium, as it's been a while, is holding me back so far.

I bought a Sony one off Amazon and it works fine. U just press a button for the Region u want before putting the disc in (Blu-rays only, DVDs work automatically), linked below. Thereā€™s a drop down list so u can select different ones.

Multi Region Blu-ray
Ā£200, ouch. Iā€™m glad my Ā£40 Maidston job is still going after digging it out of storage (I am going to replace the fan in it mind, it always was very loud). Youā€™d have thought region free players would have gotten cheaper rather than more expensive.

Ā£200, ouch. Iā€™m glad my Ā£40 Maidston job is still going after digging it out of storage (I am going to replace the fan in it mind, it always was very loud). Youā€™d have thought region free players would have gotten cheaper rather than more expensive.
Yeah they charge a lot just to make it multi region... itā€™s Ā£90 region B only... I just couldnā€™t be bothered with the hassle. Also I wanted 3D as I do have Jim Carreys Christmas Carol in 3D and a couple of others.. there are cheaper ones in the drop down

WiFi - Ā£159
no WiFi - Ā£147.75

tbh Iā€™m not sure u need the WiFi but could be convenient I suppose.

Coming back to this from before...
I still love Miyazaki in all his crotchety old man glory, but this right here is why I would put Takahata above him in my estimation. He might not have been as consistent but his highs were higher.
Completely agree with your take on Takahata & Miyazaki
I kind of hover around the borderline of having the same opinion, perhaps only prevented by the fact that The Wind Rises is my Ghibli favourite.

I think how I would put it is that Takahata was more of an innovator. As I just said, I love The Wind Rises, but compared to The Tale of the Princess Kaguya it isn't half conventional on a visual level. In fact, Takahata's vision for the latter film was such an animation challenge that didn't they have to set up a new studio within a studio to master the techniques? ("Studio 8", I seem to recall.) It must've been highly complex, because the film took a whole eight years to complete!

But then, playing devil's advocate for a moment, how many artists can afford to take eight years to complete a single work? Who's supporting them in the meantime? You could argue that without the more regular, consistently successful output of Miyazaki to keep Ghibli's cashflow going, Takahata would not have been in that kind of position. Looking at bare numbers and not counting Nausicaa, Miyazaki made nine films with the studio (10 if you count the still-in-production How Do You Live?) and Takahata five. Could it be argued that Takahata's filmmaking approach was one of a dreamer whereas Miyazaki's method is more that of a pragmatist?

I hope that nobody will take any of my comments as any kind of slight against the late Takahata in any way whatsoever as, as I've already said, I'm a fully paid-up fan. I'm really just musing out loud purely because the Takahata/Miyazaki subject is such an interesting one.

The present parts are original and the reminiscent parts are an adaptation of a manga.
I either didn't know that before or had forgotten, but wow, that's really interesting. šŸ˜ÆšŸ‘

I do like Only Yesterday. The Japanese VA for Toshio is great. Amazingly, it's the only anime role he's credited with:

Last edited:
Takahata/Miyazaki subject is such an interesting one.
Very good points on the pragmatist and dreamer aspects. Their work style clearly differed from what I recall on that recent documentary on Miyazaki on NHK, which I guess would be a reflection of their personalities. I was reading a thread D1tchd1gger had provided a link to, where someone mentioned something along the lines of Miyazaki being favoured by those who liked fantasy animes, and Takahata by those who preferred character dramas, which I thought was pretty accurate.

I've made a new thread, I'm going to watch all 4 Satoshi Kon films in the next 4 days.

Would be excellent if anyone else wants to join me simulwatch style, but I appreciate it's really short notice! I didn't want to muddy this thread too much with discussion about each film.

Back