Anime for Veterans and Beginners

cudwieser

Student Council President
Just a random question but can you request anime from the following genre for a veteran anime viewer who knows something about anime and is looking for something outside the box and anime for those new to anime and are maybe unsure of themselves and what they like.

The genre's (for reference sake) are

Mech/Space Mech
Sci Fi
Slice of Life
Fantasy
Comedy
Drama
Action
Sports/Hobbies
Game/MMO (differentiating this from Fantasy and including anime spun off from games here and vice versa)
Romance
70's
80's
90's
Post-Millennium

Some titles may cover multiple genre, but your suggestions can be different in all cases. You don't have to make a suggestion for each genre either.

Any ideas anyone?

P.S if there are genre I've missed please post your suggestions and the genre. Thank you :)

All these for beginners, unsure I'd feel right recommending for 'veterans' when I'm not even really there myself!

Mech/Space Mech - Gurren Lagann
Sci Fi - Cowboy Bebop
Slice of Life - K-On!
Fantasy - Madoka Magica
Comedy - Yuru Yuri
Drama - Sound! Euphonium
Action - Black Lagoon
Sports/Hobbies - Haikyuu!!
Game/MMO - No Game No Life
Romance - Toradora
90's - Berserk
Post-Millennium - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Well I can suggest some underrated anime that a veteran might not have seen:

Casshern Sins- Fantasy/Sci-Fi
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia- Supernatural romance/drama
Gankutsuou- Sci-fi/fantasy/Drama
Ghost Hunt- Supernatural
Golgo 13- Action
Tiger and Bunny- Action/Superhero
The Perfect Insider Drama/Thriller
The Tatami Galaxy- Comedy/Romance
Utawareumono-Fantasy

These are the anime I'd recommend to a newcomer in order of your genres:
Mech/Space Mech- Gurren Lagann
Sci-fi- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex & 2nd Gig
Slice of life- K-On! or Hidamari Sketch
Fantasy- Little Witch Academia
Comedy- Space Dandy
Drama- Anohana!
Action- Black Lagoon, Second Barrage & Roberta's Blood Trail
Sports/Hobbies- Yuri!!! On Ice or Akagi/Kaiji
Game/MMO- No Game No Life
Romance- Eureka Seven (this is technically sci-fi and mech but a lot of the focus is put on the developing relationship between the two main characters)
90's- Berserk
Post-Millennium- Naruto & Naruto Shippuden or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

I just thought of the titles that were good for veterans (a lot of them are underrated) and for newcomers (fairly mainstream or just some titles I wish I'd watched when I started out)

All these for beginners, unsure I'd feel right recommending for 'veterans' when I'm not even really there myself!

Mech/Space Mech - Gurren Lagann
Fantasy - Madoka Magica
I'd have to disagree with those for beginners, because I feel like they both rely on people being familiar with Mecha/Magical Girl genre tropes for a fair bit of their value. I mean if people watched them before any others in their respective genres and enjoyed them, fair enough, but I think people would get more out of them if they weren't the first things they watched.

I'd have to disagree with those for beginners, because I feel like they both rely on people being familiar with Mecha/Magical Girl genre tropes for a fair bit of their value. I mean if people watched them before any others in their respective genres and enjoyed them, fair enough, but I think people would get more out of them if they weren't the first things they watched.

Unless I'm misremembering, Madoka Magica and Gurren Lagann were amongst the first anime I watched, and certainly the first of their respective genre and I still got a lot out of them. They might be more enjoyable if you are familiar with anime, but I personally feel at least that they stand strong enough on their own to merit watching them early on. Rewatching them later when you have more knowledge may just make them better!

Unless I'm misremembering, Madoka Magica and Gurren Lagann were amongst the first anime I watched, and certainly the first of their respective genre and I still got a lot out of them. They might be more enjoyable if you are familiar with anime, but I personally feel at least that they stand strong enough on their own to merit watching them early on. Rewatching them later when you have more knowledge may just make them better!
Gurren Lagann was one of my first anime as well, certainly my first involving mecha.

I think the Gainax mecha shows are all very interesting from the point of view they are all referring back - Gunbuster was a mecha show made by mecha show otaku who grew up on the likes of Gundam and Mazinger, Evangelion was a mecha show made by now self-hating mecha show otaku, Lagann is a mecha show made by mecha show otaku who grew up on Gunbuster and Eva. Fascinating when you think about it.

For the real story, gotta watch 'em all.

I think the Gainax mecha shows are all very interesting from the point of view they are all referring back - Gunbuster was a mecha show made by mecha show otaku who grew up on the likes of Gundam and Mazinger, Evangelion was a mecha show made by now self-hating mecha show otaku, Lagann is a mecha show made by mecha show otaku who grew up on Gunbuster and Eva. Fascinating when you think about it.

For the real story, gotta watch 'em all.

This is really interesting. I read a literary criticism book recently by Edward Said called Beginnings. Really difficult read, but one its main themes was how the birth of modern literature was at the moment when literature started becoming a more abstract complex of references to and twists of literature that went before it, so basically literature about literature (Ulysses being an example). It sounds that's a bit like what started happening with the Gainax shows.

Okay let me show you how this is done lol :p

I'm replacing Game/MMO with Horror/Supernatural because the former is far to limited and flavour of the day (or the last few years but still...) and the latter is clearly an oversight. I also added a Movie/OVA category.

I also put way too much thought/time into this haha but I hope someone decides to watch something from reading my musings. Anyway enjoy I guess?

--------------------------------
Veteran
Mecha/Space Mecha: Mobile Police Patlabor Franchise ... All of it!!
- Okay so I know any Anime fan worth their salt has heard of this franchise and most likely seen one of the movies or the Early Days OVA at least BUT just how many of you have actually watched it all? Like ALL OF IT? Yeah probably not too many. This isn't a classic for no reason and every entry should be devoured by all Anime Mecha fans. It's a special gem so go and see it all already!!
Sci Fi: Time of Eve (Movie Version)
- Yes the OVA is basically the same thing and the Movie is just a complete cut with no interruptions but it flows so much better. Its just the superior version no question. Time of Eve is an approachable relatively simple Sci-Fi story but where it stands tall is it's heart. Time of Eve will move you and it will make you think, it's not complicated but it poses questions and ideas that are quickly becoming our present every passing day. The Movie also has one of the very best Anime Dubs in existence imo so there's that too.
Slice of Life: Hanasaku Iroha
- This might have alittle too much drama to perfectly fit the title of Slice of Life series but it's apt enough for me. The show is a fantastic coming of age tale set around the daily lives of the workers at a traditional Japanese Inn. It's wonderful mix of drama and comedy with a cast of characters that your surely to fall for. Animated by P.A Works it's also an astoundingly beautiful series.
Fantasy: Natsume's Book of Friends and Mushishi
- Obvious choices but it can't be understated that these are basically the epitome of the Fantasy genre in Anime and should be seen by any Anime fan who's been around for awhile. They both have a stronger focus on Japanese Fantasy (so no D&D like fair here) and despite both being episodic they actually make that the major pull. These series will make you laugh and cry. They will scare and inspire you. Each series handles multiple genre's with an ease that will ignite awe in any viewer who gazes upon it. Lofty and fancy words but both these series are worthy of such praise. I really need to watch Season 2 of Mushi-shi already.
Comedy: The Daichi's - Earth Defense Family
- Yes this is an Anime and yes you have more than likely not heard of it. You may be surprised to learn that it was licensed and fully dubbed back in the day. Anyway this series is a hilarious parody of Tokusatsu/Superpower shows coupled with a fantastically clever exploration of family dynamics. The series is so much more than it first appears and is endlessly endearing. Bonus fact: It was one of the very last Cel Animated TV Series and is a tour de force in the forgotten craft.
Drama: Yomigaeru Sora -Rescue Wings-
- Yet another show I bet most of you have never heard of. Rescue Wings is a very interesting drama about a guy working in the Japanese Rescue Force as a Helicopter pilot. It's slice of life coupled with some pretty heavy melodrama. It's a pretty unique series and is of a really high quality. Not your everyday series and definitely should be seen by those looking for something truly fresh.
Action: Katanagatari
- Perhaps not as obscure as it once was but is still not something that is easy to actually watch in 2018. A gorgeous series with more style than a Paris catwalk. With each episode dedicated to basically a boss battle, each enemy with their own special fighting style and design this show leaves an impression that won't soon be forgotten. The end is beautiful making the destination worthy of every spectacular step it took to get to it.
Sports/Hobbies: Big Windup
- In sports anime there are two major factors that make for a fantastic show. The Sport being studied and showcased in detail throughout and a cast of relatable, likable and realistic characters to get behind and root for. Unsurprisingly I believe Big Windup to be a superb example of how to do it right. Yet I often feel it's heavily underappreciated with many of it's genre peers dwarfing the shows 39 episodes. Still this show is a must for anyone who has ever enjoyed any Sports Anime. I dare you to not like this show, yes the main character can be trying at first I'll admit but it's worth getting over the hurdle if needed (I honestly never found it an issue but many have). And hey if he bothers you don't worry because this show has one of the best cast of characters in all of anime that I'd be shocked you wouldn't enjoy being with.
Horror/Supernatural: Devilman Crybaby
- A very recent series of course and the buzz has certainly led many to watch it but still I couldn't think of a Horror series more likely to be more appreciated by a seasoned Anime fan. Adapting one of the most classic stories in Manga this show is an absolute rollercoaster ride and an instant classic. A masterpiece that will not be forgotten anytime soon. Let this show grab you by the neck and drag you through it's crazy thrill ride of a story. You'll be glad you let it trust me!
Romance: Flowers of Evil
- Yes I'm going there. Flowers of Evil or Aku no Hana is a Romance series. Yes it's use of rotoscoped animation gives it a rather 'unique' look but damn if this show won't swallow you whole and refuse to let you go. It's masterful storytelling, a truly bizarre and absurd blend of melodrama and romance...very dark romance. I love it and if you haven't tried it I really think you should. No show that has two characters walking hand in hand without saying a word for 5 whole minutes and yet keeps you totally glued to the whole scene should be dismissed because the animation looks 'funny'. Flowers of Evil is superb and not to be avoided.
70's: Space Battleship Yamato 1974 + The Sequel Film (Even though it's no longer canon)
- The birth of the Anime Space Opera and the first real glimpse of Leiji Matsumoto's genius. A fantastic classic Sci-Fi series with a gripping story that goes well beyond the more traditional episodic monster of the week fair that was par the course in most Anime of the era. And yes you should definitely watch the 'first sequel' because the film is absolutely fantastic and served as a dramatic edge of your seat climax to the original series even if eventually it was scrubbed from the official canon and remade as Space Battleship Yamato 2, I still think this film should be watched even if it does spoil the second series. Both are masterworks and should be seen in their original uncut form.
80's: Cat's Eye
- Fun, This show is alot of that. It's abit silly but thats part of the charm. The main cast of three sisters who moonlight as insanely talented art thieves while also running a cafe by day being chased down by the hapless police who are based just over the road and yet still can't put two and two together provides some great comedy and action. Add to that that the girls are beautiful and very 80's and there is alot to enjoy in this series. Each episode a fun adventure. Yes the police are stupid, yes Cat's Eye should be easy to catch and the absurdity to which they get away with each caper ups the ante each episode but still as I say this show is charming as all hell and fun and definitely worth the time.
90's: Kurogane Communication
- Never has the post-apocalypse been portrayed in such a happy way. The show follows the last human alive and the small group of robots that have made in their mission to make sure she stays alive. One part survival series to one part slice of life comedy this show is a warm and endlessly likable adventure with a cast so damn joyous to be with. I love this show and it's tragic that just so few people have seen it. A true overlooked gem that takes a truly unique look at the end of the world.
Post-Millennium: Shingu - Secret of the Stellar Wars
- Sometimes I find it difficult (actually most of the time) to describe exactly why a show stands out to me and this show might be the hardest so far on this list. This show is so many things, it's Sci-Fi, it's Super Power action, it's Mecha, it's Slice of Life, it's Comedy, it's Drama. It's damn well everything. That's not to say it's the greatest show ever but damn is it fantastic. I think the main reason I love this show is it's quirky nature. Every reveal is taken in the shows stride and nothing is overly dramatic. The series deals with galactic proportions and yet everything is so down to earth and chill. The show has a wonderful array of characters and is mightily charming. Similar to The Daichi's this show was one of the very last Cel Animated series and as such is a fantastic example of the art form. It's a stunning show.
Movie/OVA: Area 88 OVA
- The greatest OVA ever. I've seen alot but Area 88 stands tall. It's just a great story with superb animation, a truly epic soundtrack and wonderful sound design. It also has a beautiful conclusion. It's just a perfect piece. Originally 3 episodes but now available as two movies it's incredible how good the endings to each of them are. Not really sure what else to say, when I think about this OVA all my brain goes to is superlative central with little depth. It's just a special thing.
- I tried my best to pick stuff obscure and underappreciated, I'm sure there are a few titles some of you probably haven't even heard of but I can assure you all these recommendations are worth trying. I love all of these and haven't rated any of them less than an 9/10.
Beginner
Mech/Space Mech: Eureka Seven
Sci Fi: Steins;Gate
Slice of Life: Bunny Drop
Fantasy: Berserk
Comedy: Great Teacher Onizuka
Drama: AnoHana
Action: Attack On Titan
Sports/Hobbies: Hajime No Ippo
Horror/Supernatural: Blood+
Romance: A Lull In the Sea
70's: Future Boy Conan
80's: Maison Ikkoku
90's: Slayers Franchise
Post-Millennium: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Movie/OVA: Princess Mononoke

Last edited:
I'll have a go. Beginners... most accessible, veterans esoteric/underrated...

Beginners

Mech/Space Mech: Robotech
Sci Fi: Cowboy Bebop
Slice of Life: Azumanga Daioh
Fantasy: The Vision of Escaflowne
Comedy: Slayers
Drama: Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
Action: Black Lagoon
Sports/Hobbies: Haikyu
Game/MMO: .hack
Horror/Supernatural: Tokyo Ghoul
Romance: His and Her Circumstances
70's: Battle of the Planets
80's: The Mysterious Cities of Gold
90's: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Post-Millennium: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Movie/OVA: Akira

Veterans

Mech/Space Mech: IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix
Sci Fi: Planetes
Slice of Life: Non Non Biyori
Fantasy: Moribito
Comedy: Nichijou
Drama: Welcome to the NHK
Action: R.O.D. The TV
Sports/Hobbies: Chihayafuru
Game/MMO: Outbreak Company
Horror/Supernatural: Shiki
Romance: Aoi Hana
70's: ?
80's: Bubblegum Crisis
90's: Cyber City Oedo 808
Post-Millennium: Niea_7
Movie/OVA: The Wings of Honneamise

I guess I'll take a shot at this. (Replaced Mecha with Horror since I haven't watched nearly enough mecha in my life to recommend any)

(I didn't really make the list specifically towards vets/beginners, but instead tried to think of things people may not of watched/seen)

Horror - Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Sci Fi - Crest of the Stars
Slice of Life - Mushi-shi
Fantasy - Twelve Kingdoms
Comedy - Hozuki's Coolheadedness
Drama - Vampire Knight
Action - Kingdom
Game - .hack//roots
Romance - Chibi Vampire Karin
80's - Saint Seiya
90's - The Slayers
Post-Millennium - Kyo Kara Maoh!

I don't really get the beginners vs veteran thing. I just watch what sounds good. I would say to anyone new just to look through MAL, see what's popular and if you like it then go down the rabbit hole of the recommendations. I think I've moved beyond beginner now, but definitely wouldn't call myself a vet. So here's a list of films (as I've watched a lot and seems unrepresented in above lists) I like. I went with MAL for genre, if it's listed on the films page I went with it. I've added a few and taken out Game (the only film I have seen in the genre needs a watch of a series) and Sports/Hobbies as I haven't seen any:

Sci-Fi - Ghost in the Shell

Slice of Life - Wolf Children

Fantasy - Princess Mononoke

Comedy - Tokyo Godfathers

Drama - Anthem of the Heart

Action - Akira

Samurai - Sword of the Stranger

Historical - Grave of the Fireflies

Horror (Psychological) - Perfect Blue

Supernatural - Spirited Away

Romance - Whisper of the Heart

Some slightly lesser known series that many won't of seen. Something fresh for veterans but beginners could probably enjoy most of these too.

Mech/Space Mech - Escaflowne
Sci Fi - Space Brothers
Slice of Life - March Comes in Like a Lion
Fantasy - Shinsekai Yori
Comedy - Gintama
Drama - Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Action - Katanagatari
Thriller - Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor
Sports/Hobbies - Chihayafuru
Romance - Tsuki ga Kirei
70's - Ashita no Joe
80's - Legend of the Galactic Heroes
90's - Yu Yu Hakusho
Post-Millennium - Bakuman

Unfortunatly I think many of the ones I would recommend were or are already popular, I would like to browse this list and see for myself what some people are putting forward,but I'll just say one of my personal favourites is claymore, it really does start off as a fantasy as it's setting looks a lot like midevil Europe, but it's a little sci-fi too considering how some of the creatures are created, the "claymore" girls are created through experiments using flesh of monsters, and if you don't like how the anime ends I really recommend you pick up the manga, only the end of the series deviates from a tight adaption, and the manga rewards you for sticking with it.
I would throw pretty much anything trigger has worked on here too, especially kill la kill. You don't have to know a particular series but you would have to know the tropes of magical girl series to really enjoy it, particularly the trope of a series using fan service to sell itself, KLK takes that trope, beats it over the head with satire and makes it's own satire part of its plot, something similar, with trigger working with A1 and currently airing is darling in the Franxx, two pilots take a pretty lewd position to pilot mechs.
And of course trigger used to be some people working for gainax who worked of neon genesis evangalion, one of the most classic mechas in the genre. They also worked on gurren lagaan, another mecha that puts satire to mecha tropes, you can clearly see what trigger does today in gurren.
And may I suggest you use whatever free time you have to watch another classic: 6 episodes, 4 letters, 0 brain cells; FLCL

Back