Must-see anime movies

Dai

Pokémon Master
The full list for those wondering:
(Disclaimer: Links are affiliated)

I should really get around to upgrading my ancient VHS copy of Grave of the Fireflies, but I don't know if I could ever bear to watch it again.

I should really get around to upgrading my ancient VHS copy of Grave of the Fireflies, but I don't know if I could ever bear to watch it again.

I've always preferred the Shinkai stuff over Ghibli, but my friend keeps saying I should watch Grave of the Fireflies so it's on my upcoming list at some point, I don't know how bad it is, but I am aware it's fairly dark.

I know what you mean. I saw Grave of the Fireflies and Barefoot Gen almost nine years ago, and they've been at the top of my rewatch pile for the last four years, and I just keep putting it off.

I've always preferred the Shinkai stuff over Ghibli, but my friend keeps saying I should watch Grave of the Fireflies so it's on my upcoming list at some point, I don't know how bad it is, but I am aware it's fairly dark.
What makes it so heart-breaking is its authenticity. It's based on a semi-autobiographical short story, and you can feel the author's grief and regret throughout.

I have to break from popular opinion (and get ready to dodge the pitchforks) and agree with you there, except for Grave of the Fireflies which is phenomenal and heartbreaking. Yeah just watch it at some point, don't read about it heh. Ghibli stuff is great in general but I don't seem to like it as much as everyone else though I do believe grave of the Fireflies and Only yesterday are probably some of the best animated movies I have ever seen.

grave of the Fireflies and Only yesterday are probably some of the best animated movies I have ever seen.
Now I still love Miyazaki in all his crotchety old man glory, but this right here is why I would put Takahata above him in my estimation. He might not have been as consistent but his highs were higher. RIP, also very much RIP Kondo, the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long (see also Satoshi Kon, and now I’m even sadder than Grave could make me).

Before I read that, does it give info/spoilers? I am the type of person to watch half a trailer rather than all of it to try and avoid spoilers or too much info. Should I watch it blind then come back and read this?
Dont read anything. Just watch it.

Grave of the Fireflies is easily a "Must watch" rather than "Recommended", even if you're not much of a Ghibli fan

The film is very quick to tell you where it's going though; it starts at the end and then the rest of the film is a flashback.
This next bit is not for @Lordhippos to read at the moment, but...

Indeed. A book called The Anime Encyclopedia says in its entry on the film that it tells you right at the start that Seita and his sister die and then defies the viewer to spend their time watching the film hoping that it won't happen.

Likewise, much respect to the late Takahata. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya and My Neighbours the Yamadas are genuinely a couple of my Ghibli favourites.

Now I still love Miyazaki in all his crotchety old man glory, but this right here is why I would put Takahata above him in my estimation. He might not have been as consistent but his highs were higher. RIP, also very much RIP Kondo, the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long (see also Satoshi Kon, and now I’m even sadder than Grave could make me).
Completely agree with your take on Takahata & Miyazaki, have always felt that way about these two. Always a shame and loss to humanity when a great artist dies before their time but I try and find solace in the masterpieces they left us as their legacy.

Another fan! One of only 4 10/10s I've given on MAL, although it's probably one of the lowest rated Ghibli's on there! Which tells you what you need to know about MAL scores!
Nice one, and good to see there are quite a few on this forum who rate this beautifully subtle and understated movie so highly! Yeah MAL can be useful but not reliable, especially based on what you've just said (lowest rated Ghibli - blasphemy!).

I have to break from popular opinion (and get ready to dodge the pitchforks) and agree with you there, except for Grave of the Fireflies which is phenomenal and heartbreaking.

For me I guess it boils down to you like what you like, what is a 5/10 to one person is another persons 10/10. I've seen a few Ghibli films (Totoro, Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle) but none of them blew me away. Shinkai with Garden of Words, Your Name, Weathering With You was definitely more to my tastes.

see also Satoshi Kon

I tried one of Satoshi's films, Summer Wars, but really struggled with it for some reason. I didn't get to the end, but who had the great idea of connecting all of the critical infrastructure to a virtual world? they should be fired!.

Edit - I got Satoshi and Hosoda confused somehow... ignore the confusion it's just me being dopey! :)

Dont read anything. Just watch it.

Ryokai! 👍

Another fan! One of only 4 10/10s I've given on MAL, although it's probably one of the lowest rated Ghibli's on there! Which tells you what you need to know about MAL scores!

MAL scores are definitely not infallible, for me at least it can largely come down to how much I just enjoyed something overall.

To everyone: Is there a thread somewhere with "must watch" anime films? I mostly watch series, but I don't mind dipping into films sometimes, I probably only watch 1 film for every 10 shows I watch, but if I can watch the crème de la crème I don't mind doing so slowly.

Last edited:
I tried one of Satoshi's films, Summer Wars, but really struggled with it for some reason. I didn't get to the end, but who had the great idea of connecting all of the critical infrastructure to a virtual world? they should be fired!.
Summer Wars is Mamoru Hosoda (Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Wolf Children, Mirai)

Satoshi Kon did Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika

That's actually a Mamoru Hosoda film, dude. 🙂

Satoshi Kon made Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika.

Summer Wars is Mamoru Hosoda (Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Wolf Children, Mirai)

Satoshi Kon did Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika

Definitely got my names mixed up there gents! 🤣

Are the other Hosoda films better/worth a go?

I don't think I've seen a single Satoshi film so out of the ones they've done, is there a good starting point?

Back