Multiple Fatalities Confirmed in Kyoto Animation Fire

^Sorry this is somewhat off topic^

I'm really happy with David Productions choice to delay Fire Force over these recent events, not only out of respect for KyoAni and their staff

But I think its very important for their staff mentally as well. I couldn't imagine what its like trying to work on a show with similar [themes]. Hopefully they're not pushed to meet deadlines over the next few weeks and their staff have people to talk to when needed

I think they are just delaying the broadcast of the episodes. I imagine the studio staff are still making them. I doubt their busy schedules could support stopping production because of this incident.

The episodes will probably be produced, and just put in a queue so they'll air weekly once the delay is over.

They will probably have to air a bulk later on as they usually buy the slots season by season so as this is two seasons (then a break) it will probably be a few eps at the end. But I can’t see it returning for a few weeks.

From The Japan Times: autopsies have revealed that at least 20 victims were burned to death, three suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and two suffocated. The cause of death of one was undetermined.

Elsewhere, the Help KyoAni Heal fund is approaching $2 million.

Sentai update. Kyoto Animation have set up their own account and Sentai are looking to transfer the money raised which is now over $2M:

Dear Supporters and Followers,

As you may already know, Kyoto Animation has opened an account to receive donations which they’ve shared via their official website (京都アニメーションホームページ). We have been in contact with their representatives in Japan to finalize the details of delivering your generous donations made through this GoFundMe drive to the victims and their families.

Together we started this movement to help those in need. And together we’ve far exceeded that original goal with over $2 million in donations raised.

Even though the fundraising phase of this drive will conclude at the end of July, we won’t rest until your contributions reach the KyoAni victims and their families in a direct and meaningful way.

Donations made through this GoFundMe drive will not be touched until the details for distribution have been confirmed. We will continue working with KyoAni’s appointed representative and we will continue to provide updates as they become available. An update on this has been shared by KyoAni’s legal counsel through their social channel in Japanese ( ).

There are no words to describe the outpouring of love and appreciation our community has for the Kyoto Animation family. They know the world is supporting them, and we are dedicated to continuing that support in the days to come.

Thank you,
John Ledford
Sentai Filmworks
President

Names of the deceased are starting to emerge.
From what I've heard, the media are acting appallingly in regards to the story. It has been suggested that in this case the newspaper pressured the family to give them an interview. In one instance the media were scrambling to get shots of relatives of the deceased using step ladders as they were allowed access into the studio to see where their loved ones died. It's appalling, even the NHK were doing it. Some media outlets are allegedly ringing funeral homes to see if they are handling the funeral arrangements for the deceased. I think we should respect the original wishes of the studio and not report of the names of the deceased, even if they appear in "respected" Japanese media outlets, until an official announcement is made by police or the studio, unlike some alleged anime "journalists" in the US.

From what I've heard, the media are acting appallingly in regards to the story. It has been suggested that in this case the newspaper pressured the family to give them an interview. In one instance the media were scrambling to get shots of relatives of the deceased using step ladders as they were allowed access into the studio to see where their loved ones died. It's appalling, even the NHK were doing it. Some media outlets are allegedly ringing funeral homes to see if they are handling the funeral arrangements for the deceased. I think we should respect the original wishes of the studio and not report of the names of the deceased, even if they appear in "respected" Japanese media outlets, until an official announcement is made by police or the studio, unlike some alleged anime "journalists" in the US.

Oh, I thought that the name has been officially released. Sorry for any offense. I've removed the link.

From ANN: a local newspaper, Kyoto Shimbun, has reported that the police have released the names of 10 of the victims of the fire. ANN's article gives detailed accounts of each person who passed away.

Sentai will move the money raised by their Gofundme page into the fund raising account set up by KyoAni starting today:
Dear Supporters and Followers,

Although this fundraiser closed to donations on July 31, 2019, we stand in awe of your continued messages of love and generous support for Kyoto Animation during this difficult time. We sincerely appreciate all of your contributions to this drive as well as to other fundraising and support initiatives established by friends around the world.
Now it is time to start the process of sending those funds to Kyoto Animation.

We have been coordinating fund distribution with Kyoto Animation’s agent and lawyer, Mr. Daisuke Okeda. Mr. Okeda has directed us to deposit the funds received from this GoFundMe drive into an account established by Kyoto Animation to accept donations like these. Most importantly, Mr. Okeda has fully assured and committed that the donations contributed through this GoFundMe drive will all be utilized to support the victims of this tragedy and their families. We discuss that pledge in more detail below.

The transfer process has two phases, and each phase has two steps. This is because transactional standards require that funds from a US GoFundMe be deposited into a US bank account. GoFundMe has also advised us to reserve funds in the amount of $100,000 for final credit card settlement. Moreover, all funds withdrawn are subject to standard online transactional fees, which total $89,539.24.
Moving to the withdrawal phases, we will follow these steps.

This first phase will result in the overwhelming majority of funds moving to Kyoto Animation’s designated account. We will be withdrawing these funds ($2+ million) and leaving only the reserve with GoFundMe. The withdrawal will first arrive at a US-based account designated by Sentai to facilitate transfer to Kyoto Animation’s designated account in Japan. Immediately following receipt of funds from GoFundMe, Sentai will transfer 100% of the funds to Kyoto Animation’s designated account. We will initiate this phase tomorrow, Wednesday, August 21, 2019 (CDT), and we will update you through this page when it is completed.

The second and final phase is transfer of the reserve. This is scheduled for 90 days after the completion of phase one. The reserve will be reconciled and the remaining amount transferred on or about 90 days following the completion of phase one. We will follow the same transfer process as described for the first phase. We will update you through this page when it is completed.

We have requested a formal confirmation by Mr. Okeda of receipt of funds. He has committed to doing so, and we will share that message with you through this page.

After the funds reach Kyoto Animation’s specified account, representatives of Kyoto Animation will distribute them to those in need according to their public pledge to do so. More specifically, Kyoto Animation has pledged that any funds received from this GoFundMe drive will go toward providing aid for 1) their lost co-workers, as well as their family and immediate relatives, and 2) their colleagues who remain hospitalized, as well as their family and immediate relatives. They have further committed as follows: “We consider transparency regarding these funds to be of top priority, and we will be reporting all income and expenditures. We are still in the process of determining the best way to report this information, but we will make an announcement once this has been finalized.”

To receive further updates about Kyoto Animation, its members, and its plans for the distribution of funds, please visit their webpage: 京都アニメーションホームページ

Thank you all for your continued support of Kyoto Animation.

So 3.7 percent in transaction fees. 89.5T is quite defty... And that's just the first round of charges, especially if they aren't getting exempt from taxes and the like.

Back