MCM Manchester '15 x Otakon '15 News Thread

Now THAT'S gonna be an interesting one!

Discotek are sitting on a lot of cool stuff - most of which we already know they've got. But they've been understandably careful about revealing release dates.

I'm wondering if their annnouncements will reveal any more about their plans for Giant Gorg, Orguss and Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact.

Is it too much too hope that they've got new stuff to announce as well?

OTAKON: DISCOTEK MEDIA

For those who haven't heard of Discotek Media, they have released various anime titles like:
Bokurano, Cutie Honey, Devilman, DNA2, Dynamic Heroes, Fist of the North Star, Go Nagai World, Goldenboy, Great Teacher Onizuka, Lovely Complex, Lupin the Third, Mazinger Z, School Days, Tenjo Tenge, Thermae Romae, Zombie Loan and many more.

New announcement:
Gaiking [Daikuu Maryuu Gaiking]
- All 44 episodes
- Japanese with English subtitles
- Arriving in 2016

Wicked City [Youjuu Toshi]
- Film
- Japanese with English subtitles plus both Streamline and Manga UK English dubs
- Newly remastered for DVD
- Working on extras
- Arriving in 2016

Reminder of upcoming releases:
Darkstalkers
- Also known as Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
- All 4 OVAs
- Japanese with English subtitles and English dub
- Newly remastered
- Early 2016

Descendants of Darkness [Yami no Matsuei]
- All 13 episodes
- DVD
- September 29th

IGPX
- All 26 episodes
- English dub includes uncut version and Toonami version
- Newly remastered in original widescreen format
- Packed with extras
- "People ask for the micro series, as of right now, the plan is to include them all"
- DVD
- November 2015

Iria: Zeiram the Animation
- All 6 OVAs
- New cleaner master for DVD
- Extras are tentative

Lupin the Third: Jigen's Gravestone
- Film
- Discotek's first English dub that's not from someone else
- Blu-ray and DVD

Lupin the Third: Voyage to Danger
- Film
- The first Lupin film rescued from Funimation, Discotek will pursue the others if the film sells well

Lupin the Third vs Detective Conan
- OVA special and Film

Magic Knight Rayearth
- All 49 episodes
- Newly remastered in High Defintion
- DVD in December 2015 with Blu-ray arriving sometime in Winter 2016

Night on the Galactic Railroad [Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru]
- Film
- Extras are tentative
- Coming to Blu-ray and DVD in November

Robot Carnival
- All 9 OVAs
- All new subtitles
- September 1st

Samurai Pizza Cats (SD Blu-ray release)
- All 52 episodes
- English dub version
- Experimenting with Standard Definition content on Blu-ray
- There are no HD masters, all 52 episodes are SD.
- September TBA

Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo [Shin Getter Robo tai Neo Getter Robo]
- All 4 OVAs
- Coming to Blu-ray
- September TBA

Street Fighter II: The Movie
- Film
- "Yes, it's uncut"
- Blu-ray and DVD
- Both the unrated dub tracks, Japanese audio track and the PG-13 edit will be included

Super Dimension Century Orguss [Choujikuu Seiki Orguss]
- All 35 episodes
- Japanese with English subtitles, with the first 17 episodes available in English dub
- September 29th

Toei's A Little Mermaid [Andersen Douwa Ningyo Hime]
- Film
- September 29th

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
- Film
- English audio
- Due to licensor declining the Japanese dub is not included, the film was produced in English
- Blu-ray on September 9th while DVD on September 22nd

Yowamushi Pedal
- All 64 episodes (38 from Season 1 and 24 from Season 2)
- Coming in 2016

Q&A:
Will X (presumably Sonic X) be released on Blu-ray?
A definite maybe, depends on condition of materials, licensing, and the show itself, it's expensive to do Blu-ray still.

Why aren't your new releases dubbed?
Dubbing is expensive, we're starting to looking at dubs as an option going forward, but again, being selective.

Detective Conan on DVD?
One NO COMMENT prevails. Detective conan is hard we're having a good hard look at it. Sorry, i know that's a non-answer.

Wow - GAIKING! I would never have thought!

It may be the only new announcement there, but it's a good 'un!

Nice to see another old Manga Entertainment title get rescued. Wicked City was cut over here in the UK so I'm curious for the Discotek release. Violence Jack has mosaics but other than that it was uncut.

It's kind of ironic that there are probably more old Manga dubs in print via Discotek these days than via Manga UK themselves.nthe kind of stuff they put out would probably sadly not have a big enough market in the UK to be viable as a business though.

CK2xqqvWIAAS4hB.jpg:large

CK2yZoRWgAAXfJe.jpg:large

CK21hk_W8AAXqlm.jpg:large

Discotek's going to be seeing a lot of my $$$s;

Lupin III x3
Magic Knight Rayearth
Night on the Galactic Railroad
Super Dimension Century Orguss

All essential purchases for me - the Orguss set in particular, from the pics they put up on FB a while ago, looks like a corker

It's not a new announcement but Night on the Galactic Railroad is major and very exciting. Can't wait to see it on Blu-Ray and I hope that they manage to get some good extras together too.

"Want more SD on BD? Buy this one!"

My literal response of rolling on the floor laughing should cover it. I applaud the moxy of trying to pass it off as a selling point, though.

fabricatedlunatic said:
ilmaestro said:
britguy said:
Beyond The Boundary seems like a good license, you people know more about this stuff than me, is it?
It is the most medium of mediums. 2013 was not really KyoAni's year.
But but but the upcoming Sentai LE is so pretty :-/
Pretty facades hide ugly lies.

ilmaestro said:

My literal response of rolling on the floor laughing should cover it. I applaud the moxy of trying to pass it off as a selling point, though.

I think an entire long running series on one BD disc is kind of an interesting development. BUT... nah. I don't want this sort of thing to catch on. For the entirely selfish reason that I can see it being adopted (if it's successful - which it won't be) as a release format for longer running retro shows.

I'm all for distributors cutting costs. But not when it means I can't avail myself of their products. Blu Ray region coding being what it is, I can see that being an issue.

ilmaestro said:

Well it still has some merits even if it isn't HD due to being encoded with AVC instead of MPEG-2, which should improve the picture quality a little bit from the better codec. It does miss the point a bit on why people buy blu-rays though.

I think it's also for people that hate having to change discs. By having an entire show on one disc, you don't have to keep getting up. It must be cheaper for them too for having to only press one Blu-Ray than 7 DVD's.

It's not really a show I'm interested in, so am passing.

I'm interested in Night on the Galactic Railroad, it sounds like my kind of thing.

I've heard good things about Robot Carnival, I wonder why there's no Blu-ray though (it seems like something that could benefit but maybe there's a problem with materials or the way it was made).

I'd also be interested in getting Magic Knight Rayearth, although not necessarily for any particularly good reason. I suspect I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much now as I did the first time I watched it but I still might be tempted to give it a try.

I have mixed feelings about SD content on Blu-ray. I don't think it's a terrible idea if it means that something that wouldn't have benefitted from HD anyway can be released at a lower cost but at the same time I wouldn't want to encourage "lazy" releases that ignore the opportunity to get the most out of the picture and/or sound (not that I'm great at recognising the benefits).

The only real benefit is that you won't have to change discs. Other than that, squeezing an entire series onto one BD-50 will mean an equivalent or lower bitrate than DVD that will probably offset any benefit gained from superior encoding. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm not a fan of the idea unless the content only exists in SD in the first place. If it's successful, I'm worried that 'SD on BD' will disincentivise companies from going to the effort of restoring titles in HD.

I love love love love Night on the Galactic Railroad. The soundtrack is also brilliant.

You can fit 10.5 DVD's on a single BD50 so if anything I'd expect SD encodes on BD's to have a HIGHER bitrate than DVD. There's the physical storage space required for DVD's vs Blu-Ray boxes too (OK minimal but certainly adds up over a large collection).

Having said that I do share your concern about removing the incentive to do HD restores...

msgeek said:
You can fit 10.5 DVD's on a single BD50 so if anything I'd expect SD encodes on BD's to have a HIGHER bitrate than DVD. There's the physical storage space required for DVD's vs Blu-Ray boxes too (OK minimal but certainly adds up over a large collection).

Having said that I do share your concern about removing the incentive to do HD restores...

That depends on whether you're comparing DVD5s or DVD9s. Discotek themselves have said

An interesting feature of Blu-Ray discs is that they can contain SD-resolution video (720x480, 4:3, 29.97fps interlaced video), and we can put a lot of it on a dual-layer BD50 disc -- the equivalent of 5 or 6 dual-layer DVD9s, enough to put a whole season of episodes on a single disc. Since Blu-Rays can use MPEG4/AVC instead of MPEG2 to encode video, you'd also get better video quality at the same bitrate, as well as nicer-looking subtitles and some other advantages.

I don't know what their DVD release of Samurai Pizza Cats used, but it was across 8 discs either way. I guess that I should just wait and see, but I wouldn't be purchasing Samurai Pizza Cats if it was a new 4K restoration so my interest in the release is purely academic!

Back