MangaUK license announcements ...

kaze_andrew said:
We're actually working on a few initiatives with them now. But then again too - simulcasting independently makes little sense for the UK vs one system coordinated by the whole UK industry.

Got some cool stuff on the go there which is why I have been so quiet re AoD of late...

Oo, when can we expect to hear about it? Cool simulcasting stuff for the UK always makes my ears prick up...:)

R

HdE said:
If that means there's a possibility of Mazinger Z

As far as I know there are a boatload of issues between Toei and Go Nagai, so the chances to see a release of Mazinger, Grendizer and almost all the other old Nagai stuff is pretty low, unfortunately. At least these are the reasons why the Italian releases are not happening.

Teo

Dannielle said:
Manga confirmed the July release of Baka & Test Season 2 on their twitter.
This intrigues me, with Funi having no date set for their release. I wonder if they'll lock their blu-ray release (whenever it happens) to region A, rather than having it AB like season 1.

Shiroi Hane said:
MikeP said:
"When outputting ... in SD only discs recorded in NTSC standard can be played"

That sounds pretty clear to me that as long as you're outputting in HD you can play whatever you want.
It will not upscale PAL SD content because it will not play PAL SD content full stop:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1450670&page=2

First hand account from only yesterday:
https://twitter.com/exedore_us/status/1 ... 4724811776

Seems an odd choice but oh well. I'm glad we don't have to worry about that.

Rui said:
Manga gain nothing from streaming and probably see it as detrimental to sales (if anything), so until they get directly involved in the process I doubt they'll be actively unlocking anything for us. Some of the ideas in the AoD thread a while back included incentives for purchasing the DVD version for subscribers, which would likely be the kind of thing to get Manga interested.

It will be interesting seeing how Kaze's DVD versions do once they trickle down from AoD, as it will give them some solid data.

R
Some great relationship then.

And only idiots, morons and people not getting fat cash see streaming as detrimental to sales.

There are any number of series I've seen streaming but have no interest in in buying. Would I have bought them if I'd not seen them before? Who knows. I do know that I would be a less likely to buy Chaos;Head if I had seen it legally.

Chaos Head is an extremely good example of something I would not have gone near if I had sampled it before ordering the LE. At least it gave my husband endless amusement whenever he caught a glimpse :/

R

robot monkey said:
I wonder what happened to Freezing, as I am sure that was indicated as being picked up by Manga in one of the recent issues of Neo?
What, a TandA show that has absolutely no worth as a work of animation? Utterly surprised Manga hasn't shat that one out already.

The licence announcements are a mixed bag, especially from my personal PoV, but there's some decent stuff there. However...

Rui said:
Interesting nugget from the source Twitter, "Aniplex USA Blu-Ray exports of Madoka Magica means it is most likely not viable for a UK Blu-Ray release". Looks more than likely than ever that it is Manga UK and friends and their complaining to Aniplex that has blocked exports of the special editions. Classy. So basically people over here are forced to go with a version with no English translation or DVD-only?
What on Earth is this ****?

Rui said:
VoxPhantom said:
And regarding this Madoka BD importing thing, is it still possible to import the standard edition BDs?

No:

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalo ... 3315/4/0/0

It's 'not possible' to import any localised Aniplex USA titles, even if it's something Manga will never announce like this:

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalo ... 2219/4/0/0
I... see.

Seriously disturbing goings on - and *exactly* the type of practice that I warned you about as far as supporting the idea of these US 'imports' of JP discs goes.

ilmaestro said:
Seriously disturbing goings on - and *exactly* the type of practice that I warned you about as far as supporting the idea of these US 'imports' of JP discs goes.

I am sort of in awe that they took it this far, even blocking LiSA's US-released CDs from export (which I can buy from a million other places anyway). At least I can make a tiny but measurable dent in their sales figures by going for the JP disc versions for most things from now on :/

They are going to get a fantastically long essay from me in the Japanese survey for Fate/Zero part two.

R

ConanThe3rd said:
robot monkey said:
I wonder what happened to Freezing, as I am sure that was indicated as being picked up by Manga in one of the recent issues of Neo?
What, a TandA show that has absolutely no worth as a work of animation? Utterly surprised Manga hasn't shat that one out already.

Without such shows I doubt we would have even seen the UK anime industry get much of a start back in the 90s. I suspect they still prop up sales wise other better thought of shows that don't sell as well, so I have no issue with them picking this up.

Funimation confirmed they have blu-ray rights, so as they're in the same region as Japan it would be silly if region B fans couldn't have them too (potentially).

R

Rui said:
Funimation confirmed they have blu-ray rights, so as they're in the same region as Japan it would be silly if region B fans couldn't have them too (potentially).

R

ilmaestro said:
The worst part about silly things, though? They seem to happen so often. ^^;
^ This.

Still, I think out of the string of 12-episode series' MangaUK recently announced, they have to release at least some blu-rays. They've already DVD-only'd most of them and cast Madoka into doubt...

Back