MangaUK license announcements ...

ayase said:
robot monkey said:
the BBFC isn't going anywhere & isn't likely to be anytime soon
Why not? We could at least attempt to destroy them - All these recent and current on-line drives to stop internet censorship laws seem to be having some effect.

Why would you want to destroy them, if you did they would only be replaced by something worse.

Or for that matter why would they not be replaced with nothing, as is the case in other countries whose governments don't have a pathological need to dictate what their people can and can't see?

The BBFC is a joke, an anachronistic relic. By all means have a voluntary rating system so that people can know what they're buying - Personally I would favour the short lived multicoloured boxes which listed the various possibly objectionable content rather than age ratings. The days of mandatory censorship enforced by law should be long gone by now though. You and you alone should decide what you watch, and if you have kids you should take responsibility for supervising their viewing yourself (or take responsibility for not doing so, either is fine).

The BBFC makes less sense than ever now that all the kids are watching their entertainment online, where pretty hardcore content is only separated from kiddy fare by an accidental click. While there is a danger that explaining this to the old people who run the country might lead to even more bonkers censorship problems (I think parents should monitor internet use if it bothers them, too), it's beyond ridiculous that only DVDs have to be rated. Voluntary ratings seem to be fine for a lot of other countries and forms of media.

Even if the BBFC won't be done away with any time soon, would it not make sense to at least update the rule about having to have their logo burned onto every single disc to stop strangling our domestic industry quite so much?

R

I would be moderately upset, though, if doing away with the BBFC effectively did away with a method of helping parents to choose what might or might not be suitable for their children. It's more than a touch ludicrous to think that they should have to watch every film and play every game for themselves, as much as I agree that the ultimate responsibility should fall on them.

Some way of simply reducing the costs involved would be ideal.

If companies could pay to have their stuff approved, and it could be used as a marketing incentive (or even mandatory if they want to advertise their thing on certain channels or in certain publications), that would be fine. America's system whereby things are rated voluntarily but have to receive certificates for cinema seems more realistic than ours, too.

R

The kids would be missing out on that sweet little crimson logo, though. Was I the only one who as a child used to get a small buzz of off attaining a piece of media with that red stamp on it?

Perhaps, but if you still get that buzz from reading people rage about its placement on DVD spines then no, you are not the only one in that category!

Obvious solution; remove the point where BBFC is nessary for online purchaces. Suddenly Importing is A-OK.

If people want to see the kid trying to hang herself in Paranoia Agent, they're going to do it. Might as well be in a way that involves the exchange of cash for ligitimate business.

But they'll never do it.

ilmaestro said:
I would be moderately upset, though, if doing away with the BBFC effectively did away with a method of helping parents to choose what might or might not be suitable for their children. It's more than a touch ludicrous to think that they should have to watch every film and play every game for themselves, as much as I agree that the ultimate responsibility should fall on them.

Well, how do they do it in america? they still have a rating system, no?

Also I find that some bbfc ratings are still unhelpful when I'm trying to find stuff suitable to watch with my parents :p THe Imdb parents guide is actually more helpful for that, I want to avoid films with graphic sex scenes in them if I intend to watch a film as a family :p

Sparrowsabre7 said:
ilmaestro said:

Well, how do they do it in america? they still have a rating system, no?

Also I find that some bbfc ratings are still unhelpful when I'm trying to find stuff suitable to watch with my parents :p THe Imdb parents guide is actually more helpful for that, I want to avoid films with graphic sex scenes in them if I intend to watch a film as a family :p
but that rating system is only for cinema releases. It's entirely voluntary for home releases (just stick on the rating they have already got, if there is one).

BBFC certs place sales restrictions, can't sell unrated things like you can in the US, and the R-18 bans online/mail order as well.

Rui said:
The BBFC makes less sense than ever now that all the kids are watching their entertainment online, where pretty hardcore content is only separated from kiddy fare by an accidental click.

...I saw that cl as a d at first. Still made the same point. n_n;

I know that Manga have said that because of the law requirement to have the rating on the disc that they can't use other peoples print runs, but that isn't necessarily true.

There is no law in Australia or the UK that prevents foreign age ratings being printed on the disc. The only law in the UK pertaining to foreign ratings is that the Irish rating can't appear on the outer packaging unless it is the equivalent rating or higher.

In other words if it is rated by the BBFC before the Madman bluray goes into replication there is no reason why the BBFC rating can't be printed on the Australian discs which can be sent over here to be packaged and sold by Manga if they have a licence for a BD release.

I suspect the barrier there is convincing the foreign companies to wait for our BBFC rating process to complete while their local fans bay at their doors about delayed releases. I'm sure it could be done if Manga paid for it all appropriately, but they don't seem all that keen on that kind of thing.

R

If the BBFC's law requires the certificate to be burned onto the disc...how come my Lova Hina Christmas OVA disc doesn't have it on?

I mean sure, the highest rated OVA in the "Specials" collection is "Again" which is a 15 and that rating is on the box and the Spring special's certificate is on that disc, but wasn't it released separately at one point?

Back