MangaUK license announcements ...

Joshawott said:
If the BBFC's law requires the certificate to be burned onto the disc...how come my Lova Hina Christmas OVA disc doesn't have it on?

I mean sure, the highest rated OVA in the "Specials" collection is "Again" which is a 15 and that rating is on the box and the Spring special's certificate is on that disc, but wasn't it released separately at one point?
I've got the single release of the Love Hina Xmas OVA, and you're right, there's no age rating printed onto the disc. The box says it has a 12 rating though...

Manga can't do anything right; news at 11.
If that's referring to the Love Hina thing, these are MVM releases.

VoxPhantom said:
Joshawott said:
If the BBFC's law requires the certificate to be burned onto the disc...how come my Lova Hina Christmas OVA disc doesn't have it on?

I mean sure, the highest rated OVA in the "Specials" collection is "Again" which is a 15 and that rating is on the box and the Spring special's certificate is on that disc, but wasn't it released separately at one point?
I've got the single release of the Love Hina Xmas OVA, and you're right, there's no age rating printed onto the disc. The box says it has a 12 rating though...
Yeah, but haven't MangaUK previously said that they can't just import foreign releases and stick the BBFC certificate stickers on the box? (After it has been rated, obviously).

I assume it was an oversight rather than a deliberate thing (considering that the only other discs in my collection to do this are Pokémon the Movie 2000 and Pokémon 3, which are essentially blank discs appearance wise). It does show though, that MangaUK could probably get away with it if they're subtle.

Joshawott said:
Yeah, but haven't MangaUK previously said that they can't just import foreign releases and stick the BBFC certificate stickers on the box? (After it has been rated, obviously).
Yes, my point was that it hadn't escaped being rated altogether - so it's odd that the box would have a rating but not the disc!

As you say, it was probably an oversight. It'd be risky for Manga to try and get away with it, though.

The BBFC has to rate content, and the age rating has to be displayed prominently. The confusion comes as to where it is displayed. As some have mentioned the Love Hina XMas special has no rating on the disc, but has one on the packaging.

On the other hand, I have several ADV discs, with age ratings on the discs, but not on the DVD sleeves, as they merely offer the US packaging. It's one big confusion.

So... can they not just get the discs, then print the ratings on top?

EDIT: Not even that.. they could just use the same master and materials, then photoshop the bbfc logo somewhere, then produce as normal.

Joshawott said:

Thats odd. The only reason allowed for not having the rating on the disc is if it double sided.

As for the ADV UK releases not having ratings, a few of the ADV UK sleeves are double sided so you can display them without ratings.

As I said if they can get the material through BBFC classification when Madman finish the master it should be classified in time for replication. Don't forget it also has to go through OFCL classification in Australia before replication.

Rui said:
The BBFC makes less sense than ever now that all the kids are watching their entertainment online, where pretty hardcore content is only separated from kiddy fare by an accidental click. While there is a danger that explaining this to the old people who run the country might lead to even more bonkers censorship problems (I think parents should monitor internet use if it bothers them, too), it's beyond ridiculous that only DVDs have to be rated. Voluntary ratings seem to be fine for a lot of other countries and forms of media.

Even if the BBFC won't be done away with any time soon, would it not make sense to at least update the rule about having to have their logo burned onto every single disc to stop strangling our domestic industry quite so much?

R

I believe there are current moves by OFCOM to expand the BBFC's remit to cover VOD services. So it isn't too much of a stretch to think that somewhere down the line that they will see their role to rate online video services expanded still further.

http://www.out-law.com/page-12150

sniper_samurai said:
In other words if it is rated by the BBFC before the Madman bluray goes into replication there is no reason why the BBFC rating can't be printed on the Australian discs which can be sent over here to be packaged and sold by Manga if they have a licence for a BD release.

Rui said:
I suspect the barrier there is convincing the foreign companies to wait for our BBFC rating process to complete while their local fans bay at their doors about delayed releases. I'm sure it could be done if Manga paid for it all appropriately, but they don't seem all that keen on that kind of thing.

The only time I am aware of this happening is some of the BVUSA titles; my Diebuster vs Gunbuster discs have BBFC logos screenprinted, FBI warnings preloaded and were pressed in Japan. The price for this was... the price. The only difference between what we got here and in the US was the piece of paper on the back of the box inside the shrinkwrap with region specific stuff on.

I ended up correcting Manga's Twitter feed when they said the K-On! boxset was out next Monday (23rd April), when it is really out the Monday after (30th April).

VoxPhantom said:
I actually meant that I also had to correct them, but on the Facebook page. They haven't corrected it yet though. *doesn't feel smug*

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. Luckily, it has yet to start by the sounds of things as they've yet to make the correction.

Not sure if this has been said already? I may have missed it but in Neo is says Spice & Wolf Season 2 is out on ..i think the 4th of August? around that time at least :)

VoxPhantom said:
Anyone know 900 people who'd pay £35+ for Clannad BD? :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/mangauk/posts/10151538498555023
I'm sure that together, We could all get 900 people to reply to that post *saying* they would buy Clannad on BD for £35. Whether they would actually cough up when it was released is another matter.

I can see it now, a big internet campaign and Manga announce "We heard you! Over 900 of you asked for it, so here it is, Clannad on BD!" Then they look at the sales figures...

And then Jerome exploded.

Back