MangaUK Going Blu-Ray Only With Ben-To And Good Luck Girl

Re: MangaUK Going Blu-Ray Only With Ben-To And Good Luck Gir

As far as I'm aware the next Blu-ray is basically Blu-ray with tons and tons of space on the disc. That will probably be enough for 4K and others (not to mention Sony is already releasing films remastered for 4K resolution).

NormanicGrav said:
Dannielle said:
NormanicGrav said:
I'm surprised. Good Luck Girl is a great show to own so hopefully it does well for Manga. As for Ben-To, they'll have to wait as long as Sankarea on that one.

:S I wasn't aware of the US release being delayed, have they given a reason?

Basically what happened was that someone noticed Funimation have used the Broadcast Edit version during their streams (the version just before home release, they always have the uncensored version on there) and after a few reminders about what happened last time (Sankarea), Funimation announced a month before their planned July release that they will delay the show so that it gets released in the proper form (Uncensored just like the Japanese Blu-ray release).

tl;dr Same problem as Sankarea but Funimation stopped it before it was too late.

I see, good thing they caught onto it then. Thanks for the response.

im surprised they didnt go dvd+blu ray only i.e. a combo pack. but im happy as at least these two new titles look interesting as their releases of late have not interested me.

hopefully anyone who hasnt yet gone blu will upgrade (new players less than £50 now). maybe manga could run a competition to 'celebrate' these releases. post a pic to twitter/fb etc of your manga DVD collection for a chance to win a blu ray player.

NormanicGrav said:
As far as I'm aware the next Blu-ray is basically Blu-ray with tons and tons of space on the disc. That will probably be enough for 4K and others (not to mention Sony is already releasing films remastered for 4K resolution).

Oh yeah, Superbit for Blu-ray. Don't fall for that con. The film may be mastered at 4k resolution, but on disc they're nothing more than 1080p. They can only be upscaled to 4k. The only 4k content out there is being streamed. The next gen of storage format, a fatter Blu-ray might hold the 300GB expected to fulfil a 4k film, but it also comes down to data transfer rates as well. And who's going to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k on the 50" max TVs that can fit in the average UK home? To tell the difference, you're going to need a 90" screen at least.

I can hang that, in my lobby, but I'll only be three feet from the screen.

Ben-To is great, I'll be getting that.

Surprising move to go BD only, we've come a long way from the FMA Brotherhood debacle. I guess with Madman not doing PAL discs here, the cost for Manga doing their own for these titles wasn't worth it. I wonder if the process of making their own PAL DVDs has been holding back Manga from releasing BDs closer to the US release for some time? It'll be interesting to see if this pays off for them.

I still want to see a 4K TV set in action. These "mastered in 4K" BD releases are basically just the equivalent of good ol Superbit DVDs, so I'd definitely like to see some video in actual 4K resolution to see the improvement.

EDIT: As I post, I see JPT has made the Superbit analogy already :p

I do wonder if we'll move toward a situation where Blu-Ray is used to basically store like, 50 episodes of something on one disc. Obviously us lot care about super clear video quality, but I imagine joe bloggs consumer probably doesn't care as much. If he starts to get most of his content online via streaming, then maybe Blu Ray will become more of a budget, impulse buy - grab it all in one go - type thing; box set culture taken to its extreme (ie. a box set on one disc).

Well, I already have the US LE version of GLG and no interest in Ben-To but this is an interesting experiment. Both shows are reasonably popular so it's not like they've chosen weak titles; I wonder how it will work out?

Having fewer different versions to check makes practical sense for a small company, and I think the DVD-only market is going to shrink more and more over time. For the sake of fans I'd much rather they went BD-only than DVD-only in cases where they can only justify one release.

They could soften the blow greatly by making the shows available via streaming to help tempt those who don't have access to BD players yet. It's far more compelling than asking them to buy both a player and BD set blind or break the law, and I think it's a critical piece of the puzzle in the success of the BD move in other markets that we're still missing in the UK.

R

Ben-To is something i've only just seen the trailer of on my Devil IS a Part Timer set, and it caught my attention. Might support Manga with this release.

As a man on the ground, you could just about physically see the interest in both Ben-To and Binbogami ga evaporate into nothing when Jerome added that OH SO WONDERFUL detail.

Seriously, the floor couldn't be more dead if Cena walked on stage and won at Wrasleman again.

Re: Manga at MCM Glasgow.

As a side both ATN and the Manga/MVM booth were selling AoT 1 and Psyco Pass ahead of Street as par protocal.

Also Manga were mumbling about "Dumping" (Jerome's Jive Ass Turkey words, not mine) a bunch of stuff on Netflix (thoguh I assume that basicaly means anything that they had on it before hand that hasn't gone dead licence wise) and avoided a round of "Um Ah" hot potato when someone in a Robotnik costume decided to soften up his "JoJo, when, how and Why not?" question with something that I can't mind off the top of my head it was so non-existant.

Also, Jerome publicly murdered Ben-to and Binbogami ga's chances by showing the trailers, getting everyone excited and saying it was Blu Ray exclusive.

Sounds good to me. Unfortunately (or fortunately for me I suppose), I already own the Funi LE of Good Luck Girl.

Of course, what I really want is laser discs.....Or really big-ass Blu-Rays......I just want to own giant discs, what of it?

ConanThe3rd said:
Also, Jerome publicly murdered Ben-to and Binbogami ga's chances by showing the trailers, getting everyone excited and saying it was Blu Ray exclusive.

If only someone recorded the whole thing, would be interesting to hear the audience's reaction.

BD players can be picked up for a decent price nowadays, and personally I know more people with a BD player than without. Only my grandmother and one friend don't have one out of households I can think of immediately.

If this means Manga can put a little bit more effort into their release quality I'm all for it. Though I do understand the annoyance from those that haven't moved formats yet.

I remember when MCM announced the rescues of Red Garden etc and the hall was completely silent. I felt bad for Tony then...especially as everyone cheered to Attack On Titan. Was it worse than that?

Considering how much we bitch when something ISN'T released on blu-ray, it's fascinating to see the other side of the fence to be honest.

NormanicGrav said:
ConanThe3rd said:

If only someone recorded the whole thing, would be interesting to hear the audience's reaction.
Funny you should mention that...

Really if the whole thing didn't smell of Paul Business saying it would ballance the books then more people would have been more accepting.

Just Passing Through said:
NormanicGrav said:

Oh yeah, Superbit for Blu-ray. Don't fall for that con. The film may be mastered at 4k resolution, but on disc they're nothing more than 1080p. They can only be upscaled to 4k. The only 4k content out there is being streamed. The next gen of storage format, a fatter Blu-ray might hold the 300GB expected to fulfil a 4k film, but it also comes down to data transfer rates as well. And who's going to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k on the 50" max TVs that can fit in the average UK home? To tell the difference, you're going to need a 90" screen at least.

I can hang that, in my lobby, but I'll only be three feet from the screen.
4K content will quite happily fit on a normal 50gb blu ray once they sort out the new compression codec HEVC as opposed to the current AVC but that most likely won't be ready until next Christmas. They are also working on bigger discs even tho they're not needed for the content. Estimated at 70gb - 100gb (300gb discs are a long ways off). Having worked in a cinema for a long time I can tell you 4K for home viewing is pointless unless you've got a 100'' TV you're not getting anything more over 1080p. And having seen a few 4K films they do look great but there's one thing that doesn't really benefit from a more detailed picture and that's animation! And if after that you want to get in to the debate of DVD > Blu ray > 4K Blu ray most films filmed over the past 2 & half years have been filmed using 'RED epic' cameras which film in 5K. so how long before 8K? 10K? 12K?

Back