MangaUK Going Blu-Ray Only With Ben-To And Good Luck Girl

Re: MangaUK Going Blu-Ray Only With Ben-To And Good Luck Gir

It'll certainly be interesting if we do see a major shift in business model from Manga. Their whole current model is based on selling volume, but as physical media sales continue to drop, will we see them shifting to a more 'deluxe' style model like Anime Ltd? (although judging by jerome's comments about the pricey AOA releases, I can't see it happening any time soon).

Re: Manga at MCM Glasgow.

Joshawott said:
Considering how much we bitch when something ISN'T released on blu-ray, it's fascinating to see the other side of the fence to be honest.

Maybe us DVD folk are just good-natured :lol: I just choose never to get involved in those arguments. Is it so wrong that everyone just buy what they like? No need to get angry if we have both right? Honestly, it gets downright silly sometimes. If people want Blu-Ray, they should have Blu-Ray. If people want DVD, they should have DVD. Both are still valid formats. I personally am not fussed. If I need to move to Blu-Ray, I will, but I have no reason to yet.

st_owly said:
People weren't too impressed.
I'll get around to it at some point but the order of events off the top of my head was (Exagerated for comic effect)
* Show Trailers - Pretty Good Response
Jerome : These are Blu Ray only
* No response.
Jerome : Everyone has a Blu Ray Player, right? Our market research shows you'd eat that up
* Response to the negative
Jerome : Well, Balls

edit: The Panel as recorded by me (Sorry for Wobble Cam and cut-outs, I thought it prudant not to record trailer footage, as a result I might have skipped past one or two);
http://youtu.be/J9muav1usck
http://youtu.be/17dMYMDEN5k (The part containing the BR Only announcement about 25 seconds in)
http://youtu.be/HBhlfzoyqxI

If BD is outselling DVD 5:1 on something mainstream like AoT as Jerome said, and doing BD-only is cheaper than DVD-only, then I think this is one of the most common-sense moves Manga UK could make. It's a waste of time for them to keep redoing all of the production (and usually introducing new glitches) for every title when they're already low staffed and DVD-only releases are making less sense now that HD streaming is increasingly common. Bring on the future (and get them both up on streaming services!).

R

Wait. Did Jerome just say for Harlock film - International Cut on 3D/2D Blu-ray but Japanese Director's Cut on DVD?

Sigh. At least a Steelbook is planned.

------

At least they're finally bringing content back on Netflix.

Thanks for that Conan, I found that pretty interesting. I'll be interested to see how this goes considering it is them testing the waters. I take it from the whole hands up/down thing most people who bought anime that day had bought it on DVD? Hmm, it is quite hard to call in way. We'll see how it goes :)

NormanicGrav said:
PandoraHane said:
Well, I only buy DVD. I don't own a blu-ray player and don't actually know anyone personally who has one. I don't actually think blu-ray is that popular? I could be wrong but it seems to me most people still tend to go for DVD. If the time does come I would move to blu-ray, but I don't see it happening yet.
I'm not interested in either title though so it doesn't bother me.

I'll say Blu-ray started off pretty bad due to the expensive players but now it's much better in terms of pricing and support. Heck if you plan on getting a games console (PS3/PS4/Xbox One) in the future, you're already sorted for the format.

I think the fact that xbox one now has a BD player built in is a major factor in going for a BD only release. Before it was only 50% of the console owners that had access, now an ever increasing number of a key Anime buying demographic will have BD access. Manga showed they aim for PS3 users back when Haruhi was killed because it didn't play on PS3

I think it's probably true that BD overall hasn't taken off quite yet, but it's only a matter of time at this point with all TV's being HD ones. DvD will stick around for a while yet ofc, but it'll go the way of VHS someday.

--

Also, with Ben-To at least, they have ages to make sure it's the right call, god knows when Funi will get round to releasing it.

Rosencrantz said:
NormanicGrav said:
PandoraHane said:
Well, I only buy DVD. I don't own a blu-ray player and don't actually know anyone personally who has one. I don't actually think blu-ray is that popular? I could be wrong but it seems to me most people still tend to go for DVD. If the time does come I would move to blu-ray, but I don't see it happening yet.
I'm not interested in either title though so it doesn't bother me.

I'll say Blu-ray started off pretty bad due to the expensive players but now it's much better in terms of pricing and support. Heck if you plan on getting a games console (PS3/PS4/Xbox One) in the future, you're already sorted for the format.

I think the fact that xbox one now has a BD player built in is a major factor in going for a BD only release. Before it was only 50% of the console owners that had access, now an ever increasing number of a key Anime buying demographic will have BD access. Manga showed they aim for PS3 users back when Haruhi was killed because it didn't play on PS3

I think it's probably true that BD overall hasn't taken off quite yet, but it's only a matter of time at this point with all TV's being HD ones. DvD will stick around for a while yet ofc, but it'll go the way of VHS someday.

--

Also, with Ben-To at least, they have ages to make sure it's the right call, god knows when Funi will get round to releasing it.

True, I'm sure it will eventually but I think it could be a while. My little sister should be getting a PS3 soon so it could be a chance for me to start getting into Blu-Ray, but I'll just take things as they come. I think the more vocal anime fans tend to be Blu-Ray, which can be conflicting to the distributors. Really it makes it difficult for them to know what's right to do I suppose? I find it all quite intriguing honestly, I'll be interested to find out the results.

ConanThe3rd said:
st_owly said:
People weren't too impressed.
I'll get around to it at some point but the order of events off the top of my head was (Exagerated for comic effect)
* Show Trailers - Pretty Good Response
Jerome : These are Blu Ray only
* No response.
Jerome : Everyone has a Blu Ray Player, right? Our market research shows you'd eat that up
* Response to the negative
Jerome : Well, Balls

That gave me a chuckle.

I would presume most Anime fans that attended that expo aren't exactly the type who legally buy (just from what I've seen & heard at cons) so eh, I would hope they don't get disheartened by that response.

The thing about upgrading to BD is that the boost in quality isn't as clear as it was with VHS/DVD, where the format jump also included a lot of other conveniences at the same time (I don't think anyone is sad about generally getting both subs and dubs on the same disc now instead of having separate releases, especially those in the distribution chain...).

I personally understood that BD was better than DVD, but even knowing that I didn't want to make the jump and pay for new hardware until companies actually started holding content back for the BD release or experimenting with BD-only. In this case, it saves Manga UK money and time, so wanting to see what happens if they give people a little push is understandable in such a niche market. I assume that the distributors know exactly how many fans in their market buy each format for each kind of release (and whatever the response at the actual panel, they'll know how many buyers came to their stand and put down money for one or the other). Tony once said that BD performed better than it usually does at their stand at events, so the audience reaction doesn't necessarily tell the full story unless there's an unusual lack of BD hardware in Scotland or everyone up there imports from region A.

R

All I can tell you is that two series that'd be good, cheep, Dvd buys are now lumped into a category where ATA and Manga's high grade catalog will eat their collective lunch.

Also us of the highland persuasion are not one to take bull lightly.

Pandora, you and I are old school DVD-ers! hehehe. I bet we get looked at like we're using VHS ;) :p

I'm not fussed about it being on BluRay as I'm not interested. That saying, if I was, I would probably see if there's a legit way to online purchase or seek a friend to rip their BluRay for me.

Seeing as BluRay users can watch DVDs on their player, I don't really get the vast bitching as at least you're not deprived? Bit baffling but I love y'all anyway ;) :p

Yes Danielle! I'm the same, I kinda get tired of reading it all. Whenever I see discussions about it I tend to ignore them. We don't need to 'get rid' of DVD's, so long as there is the option for both of us. Agreed though, love everyone anyway but it can get frustrating at times <3

I've been HDTV enabled since 2006 and Blu-Ray enabled since 2009, therefore I have no qualms with mangas decision if they believe it makes better business sense for them. They are not a charity at the end of the day, so if releasing on BD and DVD would look likely to lose them money or not make them enough money, then supporting only one format is understandable, and if Blu-Ray seems to be their highest selling format then it's easy to understand why they are doing this.

It is a shame Manga can't seem to support both medium going forward, but they have to do what they think is best for their business model.

It's cowardly to shove b-tier shows in front of the fire. If they had the balls (or, more accurately, the conviction of thier BR/DVD numbers) they'd punt Bleach or Naruto (or if they wantd to show how much balls/conviction they had, Attack on Titan) into BR only.

As it stands, it's a Mad Scientist taking a few of the weak villagers hostage to see if they can withstand the mutagen process, knowing they're more than likely to explode into meaty chunks because, oh well, it's some no name viliagers and not captain awesome pants who eat, breaths, sleeps and otherwises the stuff.

ConanThe3rd said:
It's cowardly to shove b-tier shows in front of the fire. If they had the balls (or, more accurately, the conviction of thier BR/DVD numbers) they'd punt Bleach or Naruto (or if they wantd to show how much balls/conviction they had, Attack on Titan) into BR only.

As it stands, it's a Mad Scientist taking a few of the weak villagers hostage to see if they can withstand the mutagen process, knowing they're more than likely to explode into meaty chunks because, oh well, it's some no name viliagers and not captain awesome pants who eat, breaths, sleeps and otherwises the stuff.

I have to admit, this is much more of a concern for me than the simple fact of Manga doing a Blu Ray only show.

Like you say, these titles aren't exactly a Bleach or a Naruto - they won't do big numbers. So if off the back of this, it's like, 'Oh balls, we only sold 200 Blu Rays of it', it's not going to look too great.

Anime Ltd is a good comparison - as they've been releasing high profile shows as Blu Ray only (albeit archive shows in pretty pricey deluxe editions), so it'll be interesting to see how newer, but lower profile properties fare in comparison.

Manga have been mentioning Blu Ray re-releases for a while now, but not really made more of it. I know they mentioned a Soul Eater Blu Ray release a while back, and tbh, I reckon if they put that out in a quiet month early next year, it'd sell very well.

Back