MangaUK Going Blu-Ray Only With Ben-To And Good Luck Girl

Re: MangaUK Going Blu-Ray Only With Ben-To And Good Luck Gir

Perhaps Manga decided against moving the likes of Naruto and Bleach to blu-ray only as those sell more on dvd still (or at the very least they sell enough to keep selling on dvd). Just like Funi and Sentai decide to release some shows sub only or dvd only, maybe Manga are planning on picking certain shows to release blu-ray only based on what they think the demand will be.

Since no one else is releasing Naruto and Bleach on Blu-ray (except Germany who are going for BD for quantity not quality), they'd have to spend more to create their own masters.

This exercise isn't about testing the market, or finding a new way to do things. It's about saving money nothing else. We can bet that the US release of these shows will be Region AB. All Manga need to do is run off the discs from Funi's masters. That's it. With the DVD, with no PAL incoming from AU, they'd have to spend money to create their own.

I won't be surprised if at some point down the line, they start releasing shows Netflix only, if Netflix gets enough saturation among anime fans.

I do wonder if Manga shifting to a Netflix focus would ease licensing issues as it removes reverse importing from the equation. But equally, you are essentially getting the show for 'free' (subscription fees aside) I suppose.

Just to add - Good Luck Girl! is AB/1 and Ben-To is estimated to be AB/124.

Thinking about it I have no idea what titles Manga have to offer in 2015 aside from their usual Shonen titles (Fairy Tail, Naruto, One Piece and Kaze's Bleach). They have Evangelion: 3.33, Harlock: Space Pirate & Hellsing Ultimate: IX & X planned but they're on both formats.

If they want, they could license and use these titles as a possible candidate for releasing Blu-ray only - Any Aniplex title they haven't licensed yet but is on Blu-ray (R.O.D.?), B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time, Fafner (Season 1 & Film), Haganai (both seasons), Michiko & Hatchin, Senran Kagura (be a good marketing tool for the games)

Lutga said:
I do wonder if Manga shifting to a Netflix focus would ease licensing issues as it removes reverse importing from the equation. But equally, you are essentially getting the show for 'free' (subscription fees aside) I suppose.

yes it would/does which is why we see simulcast streaming, but its a different market from those who want to own the series.

Considering that Senran Kagura Burst came out in February, with Shinovi Versus and Bon Appétit due out in October, I think the ball has been dropped in regards to them not picking up Senran Kagura. Sure, there's Senran Kagura 2 and (maybe) Estival Versus that may be out here next year, but...

At least they're not making the same mistake with Bayonetta: Bloody Fate.

mangaman74 said:
Perhaps Manga decided against moving the likes of Naruto and Bleach to blu-ray only as those sell more on dvd still (or at the very least they sell enough to keep selling on dvd). Just like Funi and Sentai decide to release some shows sub only or dvd only, maybe Manga are planning on picking certain shows to release blu-ray only based on what they think the demand will be.
So B-Tier shows, ones that rely on people bubling into HMV (and or Amazon) and picking up for £20 or less, are going to be stuck on a £30+ tier.

That's going to work.

Said no one.

I think a few people are looking at this backwards.

Manga UK is doing this experiment with Ben-To and GLG not in spite of the fact that they're niche titles, but because they're niche titles. I'm openly critical of Manga (and especially Jerome) most of the time but he explained it quite clearly in the video and his position is completely consistent with everything Manga UK have said in the past.

1. It now costs Manga UK more to produce DVD than it does for them to produce BD. They can clone the US/Aussie BDs in a trice, but with DVD they have to pay people to create brand new materials, and these materials often introduce creative new glitches which didn't exist on the foreign versions.
2. Everyone else is moving away from PAL DVD so this situation is only going to get worse, not better. Creating the new DVD masters also increases the time they have to wait after the US release, cannibalising their sales further.
3. Anime in the UK is a niche market. Having two competing formats for incredibly niche titles that will only sell 500 copies in total combined is not financially viable when physical media is subject to minimum print runs.
4. Big titles like Attack on Titan are obviously going to outsell the best niche titles on both formats regardless, so producing DVDs and BDs for these to get them into the hands of as many fans as possible is a wise move. If a mainstream hit like Attack on Titan on BD is outselling DVD 5:1 even without it being exclusive to BD, it's a strong sign that the market is moving on.

Think about it; if more people are buying Manga UK BDs than DVDs already, and we already know that the BDs cost fans more than the DVDs, the market isn't likely to shy away from this. Some of the DVD fans will refuse to buy or switch to importing, others will make the jump up to BD; no matter what that split turns out to be it's probably not going to do Manga UK any more harm than all of their DVD-only titles have in the past, except this way they're making more money out of the deal.

-Danielle- noted BD-only people can still watch DVDs, just not in their desired quality. That's a very fair point, but it's already apparent from the criticism of the DVD-only titles in the release thread each week that it's splitting the market in two and driving the BD people to imports. The BD people are the early adopters, the ones who spend a lot on brand new releases instead of waiting for deals, so that's a big problem for Manga; they make most of their profits on preorders, not on savvy shoppers who want to save money.

Although everyone who can play BD can also play DVD, not everyone in that position wants to. As well as the video and audio being worse than legal streams, DVD-only releases have been plagued by poor PAL conversions, missing extras and other issues; they're simply not desirable to a certain audience when overseas versions exist. I'd take a NTSC DVD over no release at all, but I flat out won't buy Manga UK's PAL conversions any more after all the money I've wasted replacing them with US editions over the years.

On the other reasonable point that not everyone has a HDTV, I understand that. However, I would wager that almost everyone reading this has a HD monitor, and laptops can use USB BD drives if you aren't able to install an internal one. I completely sympathise with being in a position where technology advances before you're ready to and forces you to spend money you didn't want to - I'm still using my Nintendo DS even though I'm deeply jealous of its successors, and my phone is ancient.

I would be more than happy for Manga UK to release Ben-To on DVD, BD, LD, VHS and every other format under the sun, in a hundred different languages, but if they say it doesn't make commercial sense to do it then it becomes a choice between getting fewer niche releases at all to cater for the DVD-only crowd or moving with the times. Combo packs are a good solution in the US, but in the UK they'd incur all of the drawbacks of a separate DVD release and nobody would want to pay extra for the format they don't want. We've seen the arguments against them raised dozens of times and the UK market isn't big enough for the distributors to be able to absorb the cost of mastering the second disc like they can in the US.

(One last point, I doubt that Manga UK (or Kaze) are even allowed to release BDs of some of those mainstream shounen titles yet in our tiny market when it would undercut in places they care more about, and they'd require Manga UK to master the BDs from scratch, so it's not the same thing at all.)

R

I agree with Rui, putting a niche title on a 'niche' medium appeals to those the are interested in the title. They are the buyers that have the HD equipment and would never of bought the DvD.

Bleach, Naruto or One piece as BD only wouldn't show 'balls', it'd show a lack of understanding of the market place. They are the kind of title that attract new Anime fans because they are popular and cheap per episode, making your cheap entry level title an expensive BD only isn't a wise move.

Do they even sell non-hd TVs anymore? granted I got stuck with an old CRT TV for a few years because we didn't want to replace it till it broke but it must be a fairly small % by now?

I think Manga have learnt from their period of releasing combo (DVD + Blu Ray) packs and how they seemed to really harm sales due to being pricey and the perception of paying for part of something you're never going to use.

It's a shame because I really like combo packs, it's an interesting strategy and satisfies both types of buyer without leaving one feeling they missed out on anything (if you really offensively hate even owning DVDs you can just give them away and try to convert new fans). I can see how it isn't viable in the UK, though.

Part of me really likes the idea of there only being one set of source material used by all of the English-speaking regions, then the UK and Australian sides both adding pressure to the US distributors to ensure they don't drop the ball with quality. MVM is already speeding up UK releases thanks to its arrangements overseas and Manga UK has been trapped in its own PAL-converted prison for way too long.

R

Yeah, I've been really impressed by how quickly MVM has been able to turn out their releases compared to the US equivalents. The gap between them for From The New World was only a couple of months, if I'm not mistaken.

Rui said:

R
If Manga truly had the conviction of their numbers and the apparent facts of the industry, they'd release Psycho Pass or AoT BR Only.

Ben-To and Good Luck Girl are being sent out to die to prove a hypothesis right and I can only see it leading to Manga becoming more conservative in their releases as this blows up spectacularly in their face.

You know what would have conceived me that this wasn't just a cost cutting measure? If they said DBZ Kai was coming to the UK and it was going to be BR Only.

ConanThe3rd said:
Rui said:

R
If Manga truly had the conviction of their numbers and the apparent facts of the industry, they'd release Psycho Pass or AoT BR Only.

Ben-To and Good Luck Girl are being sent out to die to prove a hypothesis right and I can only see it leading to Manga becoming more conservative in their releases as this blows up spectacularly in their face.

You know what would have conceived me that this wasn't just a cost cutting measure? If they said DBZ Kai was coming to the UK and it was going to be BR Only.

Why miss out on DvD sales if DvD sales are viable? AoT is most certainly big enough to support both a BD and DvD release, why should they go BD only when they can make a profit on doing DvD aswell despite having to author twice?

On the flip side as you've said, these are B-list titles that are going BD only, would they sell enough to justify a double author? Sure they could be boring and go the DvD only route, but they feel the numbers back up that if they are going single format BD is the choice. Kinda hard to criticise a company for picking a superior format that costs less for them to make that their data shows has profitable margins.

If it doesn't pan out we'll just see more DvD only stuff, that's not really them being conservative, that's market data showing that the BD wasn't as big as they thought and they need to wait a while.

If they have to minimum order, say, 1000 DVDs and 1000 Blu Rays - for a show that might only sell 200-400 regardless of format in its first month or so, it's a no brainer, why spend the extra dosh on the DVDs. Just cut it out of the equation and just hope it persuades a few people to upgrade.

They explicitly said during the panel it was a cost saving measure though. They said that they don't have to make BR masters for those shows as they already exist, whereas they would have to make their own PAL DVD masters. That combined with the lower retail price of DVDs, and it works out cheaper for them to release the show BR only.

Also, looking at this forum, pretty much all the hardcore fans only buy BR, and those shows are more hardcore fan material than casual viewer material.

Well that's fine but that's, how many, 10-20 or so? Let's say there's another five uk anime fan sites with the same numbers (there isn't afik) So there's now "50-100" people who might (might!) go for BT/GLG. Assuming all fifty buy both, that's still another 150 that need to buy it in order for the endeavour to break even (assuming our 200 break even line) and that's on a per show basis (effectively doubling our target numbers).

That's an awful lot of people who are arsing around in HMV/on Amazon suddenly seeing it in the anime section and not being coerced by the cheaper DVDs of other shows or the quality of the other BRs.

You don't price McDonalds like it was a Jamie's Italian Restaurant.

Are you simultaneously arguing that they're both mainstream titles with mass appeal and niche titles aimed at the otaku audience?

There are thousands of UK fans who don't use forums at all. Many of them still have BD players. Whether all of them like these two particular shows is anyone's guess, however; st_owly was trying to extrapolate based on a small sample size, rather than claiming only UK forum users bought anime on Blu-ray.

R

Rui said:
Are you simultaneously arguing that they're both mainstream titles with mass appeal and niche titles aimed at the otaku audience?

There are thousands of UK fans who don't use forums at all. Many of them still have BD players. Whether all of them like these two particular shows is anyone's guess, however; st_owly was trying to extrapolate based on a small sample size, rather than claiming only UK forum users bought anime on Blu-ray.

R
No more than you're saying that it's suddenly not ok for these shows to have DVDs (and I get it, there's production costs because Manga are Starz and Starz is thick as lead but still this whole "Drop DVD" this is the lest elegant solution to the PAL DVD Problem) and yet it's perfectly fine for AoT/The Jump Triad/Psycopass to have DVDs (Which will probably not last forever anyway but I all but garentee you once the well drys up they'll still put out those shows in PAL DVD even when cost makes that inhibitive).

And my point is that Manga is fooling themselves into thinking that this will work because if they release those shows with absolutely no presence with BR Prices they will be squashed underfoot by the cheaper DVD shows and the similarity costly higher quality (and more well known) BR shows.

It's filling a phantom zone of demand; a high cost product that is an unknown quality that relies on a small hard core base and then a trickle down to the mass market who are in the market for Low Cost Product.

Plus, how hard would it be for anyone to go to UP1 and just pick up the US Edition for less? (And right now, as is the case with GLG?) I mean if the BR is basicaly going to be the US BR with Manga's logos all over it why not just get it stright from the source?

Back