Manga's new release schedule

animefreak17 said:
ok why is everyone so upset about the Haruhi Suzumiya boxset again and why is everyone glad the single sets are being released

Well, most everyone is annoyed because they only wanted one of Haruhi-chan or Haruhi S2, rarely both, so both parties got saddled with something they didn't want. We're glad about the singles of Chan because it wasn't clear if the second would even be released or if they were just going to slap it on the end of S2 and have that count as releasing it.

As I am posting this Manga release update on news frontpage, I might as well include what I posted there on here as well. However some are missing as they either they have only slight date change or will get their own separate news story instead:

Massive MangaUK Release Date Update:

September 26th 2011:
Bleach Complete Series 6
(RRP: £39.99)

October 3rd 2011:
Phantom: Requiem For The Phantom Part 1
(RRP: £24.99)

October 10th 2011:
Freedom
Freedom Collector’s Edition Double Play
(RRP: £34.99)
Strike Witches Complete Series Collection
Vampire Knight Guilty Complete Series
(RRP: £34.99)

October 17th 2011:
Bleach Series 7 Part 2

October 24th 2011:
Black Butler Series 1 Part 2
Dance in the Vampire Bund Complete Series
Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino OVA

October 31st 2011:
The Melancholy Of Haruhi-Chan Suzumiya & Nyoron! Churuya-san Collection 1
(RRP: £17.99)

November 7th 2011:
(Blu-Ray) The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
(RRP: £19.99)

November 14th 2011:
K-ON! Volume 2

December 5th 2011:
K-ON! Volume 3

Welcome To The Space Show Blu-ray/DVD Combi Pack
Welcome To The Space Show
(RRP: £19.99)

December 12th 2011:
Bleach Complete Series 7

(RRP: £39.99)

December 19th 2011:
The Melancholy Of Haruhi-Chan Suzumiya & Nyoron! Churuya-san Collection 2

WAITAMINUTE!!!

What happened to Sengoku Basara II???

Because, dammit, I was looking forward to that!

Sparrowsabre7 said:
animefreak17 said:
ok why is everyone so upset about the Haruhi Suzumiya boxset again and why is everyone glad the single sets are being released

Well, most everyone is annoyed because they only wanted one of Haruhi-chan or Haruhi S2, rarely both, so both parties got saddled with something they didn't want. We're glad about the singles of Chan because it wasn't clear if the second would even be released or if they were just going to slap it on the end of S2 and have that count as releasing it.

what was that momo thing again that peed everyone off about the second season

animefreak17 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
animefreak17 said:

Uh... momo? I don't follow. But it was endless eight that annoyed everyone, 8 episodes almost completely identical barring dialogue and animation changes (though the dialogue was still saying the same things just in different ways and the animation showed the same events). Considering it took 8 episodes out of a 13 (13 right?) episode season, most people were VERY unhappy.

edit: @paradox Hoo boy, amazons gonna make a mint on that I reckons

animefreak17 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
animefreak17 said:

The Japanese language is listed as 2.0 stereo but due to an error that was not noticed by Madman (or Manga until people complained) the track was mono. For those that imported the R1 version, Bandai fixed the problem after people complained.

HdE said:
WAITAMINUTE!!!

What happened to Sengoku Basara II???

Because, dammit, I was looking forward to that!

It's not going to be out for a while, as Funimation haven't solicited it for R1 yet. I think we'll be lucky for a release in R1 before Christmas at the current glacial pace of releases there.

R

What is up with Funimation at the moment? Continual delays and schedules filled with re-releases of re-releases.

Speaking of, Darker Than Black 2 is not due out in the US until 18th October, so don't expect to see it here this side of Christmas.

fabricatedlunatic said:
What is up with Funimation at the moment? Continual delays and schedules filled with re-releases of re-releases.

While I'm sure part of it is due to some kind of internal struggle, I place the rest of the blame with blu-ray.

Vocal fans don't want to buy series any more unless there's a blu-ray solicited with the first version, and because of the utterly stupid region splits Funi can't usually release any blu-rays until Japan has them. For series like Sengoku Basara 2, the blu-ray set still isn't out in Japan even now; I can't imagine the US version will be announced until that's had a chance to sell in its home country.

I like delays more than hobbled blu-rays (the dub-only Kurokami release was a hideous throwback to the dark days of VHS...) but after putting out such a stellar selection of anime at the end of last year/start of this one, Funimation's situation now is especially disappointing.

Then UK's in an even worse position because even though we're in the ghetto region for blu-rays, we can't release them until the US either since people want dubs, so then only three people buy each release and Manga cancels them and everyone rages.

I think strategies are going to have to change somewhere in the chain soon or the market will kill itself off. Until then I'm just spending all the money I save from the drought on Japanese imports again, like in the old days :(

R, who isn't at all interested in crummy licence rescues and reissues ;_;

Rui said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

While I'm sure part of it is due to some kind of internal struggle, I place the rest of the blame with blu-ray.
I think your post was pretty much rock-solid, but, unless someone can link me to some figures that proove otherwise, I also suspect that we are seeing the re-contraction of the R1 market after its forced re-expansion in the last couple of years. I wouldn't even care if the £ was ever going to recover against the ¥, but I really don't think any of the people who have ever run Funimation have ever had the best ideas about the long-term nurturing of the Western anime market.

What a mess that release has been. I don't mind, though, as I got S2 from Sparrowsabre for £12 :p

ilmaestro said:
I think your post was pretty much rock-solid, but, unless someone can link me to some figures that proove otherwise, I also suspect that we are seeing the re-contraction of the R1 market after its forced re-expansion in the last couple of years.
I don't think it's possible to prove otherwise, but Right Stuf's Shawne Kleckner sounded relatively upbeat during the ANNCast in which he appeared as a guest back in January, and NISA and Sentai seem to be doing okay. Clearly someone is still buying anime, but no doubt these are still uncertain times.

There's definitely something in Rui's Blu-ray theory, especially since Japan and the US share the same region and the US releases are so much cheaper.

Rui said:
I think strategies are going to have to change somewhere in the chain soon or the market will kill itself off.
Except the "strategies" (if indeed they can be called that) regarding international licenses and releases never seem to change where they really need to: With the Japanese licensors.

Anyone happen to be in possession of a seaworthy black ship?

fabricatedlunatic said:
Clearly someone is still buying anime, but no doubt these are still uncertain times.
I think "someone" is still buying "some" anime, and I think those people and those releases would probably be nicely reflected in the range of titles and style of releases that Nozomi, NISA, and Sentai tend towards. Fair point that they don't seem to be struggling particularly (and you also have the "arrival" of Aniplex onto the US scene to speak to its health), but I do wonder what the knock-on effect of even *just* Funimation having any sort of problems would be.

Sentai are complete scoundrels in many ways but I agree, they are bucking the trend (after having sort of caused it in the first place in their previous incarnation, when they acted very much like Funi does now). There is a lot of stuff in their catalogue though which I don't particularly want to buy, whereas Funimation do have a pretty good eye for things (they are sitting on the followups to my holy trinity of fujoshi goodness, with Hetalia, Black Butler and Sengoku Basara all stuck in slow release purgatory :(). NIS/Nozomi have good catalogues too, and Aniplex's US adventures have really caught my imagination. It's a shame Manga won't generally touch the stuff that doesn't have a dub.

Personally for me the problem would be completely solved if more Japanese companies slapped the often-already-in-existence subtitles from official streams on their blus/DVDs so I could watch stuff with my loved ones in a [subtitled] language they can understand. I want to support local companies but I don't want to help them all race to the bottom competing on cost with their hands tied because of silly politics.

I do wonder though how much actual money all these rereleases everyone keeps churning out actually make. It's widely documented that stuff like Dragonball and Fruits Basket sells steadily, but a lot of these rescues are pretty mediocre shows that anyone who actually liked them would already have, and there are only so many times a shrinking viable fanbase can buy the same thing. I'd be interested to see new market share figures for R1 in a few months' time.

R (ooh, preorder sale on TRSI >_>)

Rui said:
Then UK's in an even worse position because even though we're in the ghetto region for blu-rays, we can't release them until the US either since people want dubs, so then only three people buy each release and Manga cancels them and everyone rages.
..and the licensors insist on the discs being locked to our ghetto but then withhold rights for, e.g. 5cm/s, out of reverse import fears anyway.

Back