Manga UK reveals Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex coming to Blu-ray

"The distributor confirmed on social media that the video will run at 23.97fps as 30fps is not available to them."

Why would the licensor block them from accessing a 30fps master? What kind of nonsense excuse could they come up with to not laugh in their faces? And, if Manga are authoring this in-house, surely they could change the frame rate themselves - though I wouldn't have much faith in Manga managing to pull it off (along with altering the audio pitch) successfully.

But no buy.

And, if Manga are authoring this in-house, surely they could change the frame rate themselves - though I wouldn't have much faith in Manga managing to pull it off (along with altering the audio pitch) successfully.
Altering a 24FPS video into a 30FPS one isn't going to make the frames missing from the initial pulldown to 24 come back. The issue isn't just that 30 > 24, it's that the CG elements of the show were originally made at 30FPS, so the result of the pulldown to 24 means that frames are now missing from those scenes, making them look choppier than they should. If they don't have access to the 30FPS master, there's nothing they can do to fix that.

Altering a 24FPS video into a 30FPS one isn't going to make the frames missing from the initial pulldown to 24 come back. The issue isn't just that 30 > 24, it's that the CG elements of the show were originally made at 30FPS, so the result of the pulldown to 24 means that frames are now missing from those scenes, making them look choppier than they should. If they don't have access to the 30FPS master, there's nothing they can do to fix that.

I see. Missing frames means that it is no longer the original production, if I were Manga I would have refused to release it without getting a 30fps (presumably 1080i60) master.

Thanks @Joe . I now understand what 'pulldown' means. Glad I have the Korean sets as I think I'll be cancelling the Manga set now.

I see. Missing frames means that it is no longer the original production, if I were Manga I would have refused to release it without getting a 30fps (presumably 1080i60) master.

America didn't get those masters, and from the sounds of it Germany didn't get them either.

I think outside of Asia only Dynit has the 1080i masters.

Manga is using masters that were supplied to them by @Anime. @Anime probably received the 1080i masters and messed up during the mastering stage.

This happened with the first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ, which was presented in a choppy 1080p 23.976fps instead of 1080i 29.970fps. ZZ was mastered by the French Com'On Screen.

Does anyone know if the size of this set will be the same as the French set that this is based on? There are unboxing videos of it on Youtube and it looks fricking HUGE.

I'm concerned that I'll have nowhere to put this beast of a set.

Though given the discussion about possible quality issues I'm not exactly sure about hitting the pre-order button just yet.

I think its a bit unfair to slate the set even before its been produced. They have avoided the biggest issue which for me was the Anchor Bay masters. Im looking forward to completing the series I started many years ago and never completed.

Yyyyeeeah, as much as I'd like to pick it up, its a skip for me. The price, considering as well that there's material I couldn't care less for bundled in, plus its exclusivity AND Manga's confirmation on Twitter that this is the only Blu Ray edition currently planned...

No sorry. I'm not supporting that. As much as I wish I could.

@crashmatt I agree. I'm not about to slate it before it's even out. Can't believe they went with that massive size though, I'd say most people will struggle to find a place to put it.

As for what HdE said you're probably referring to the two compilations when you say there's content you don't want. I'm not too fussed on them either since it's just an abridged version of what's already in the set. However I don't actually think the price is bad for what you're getting (as long as the quality turns out alright). 2 seasons and Solid state society plus a really nice artbook, interviews and episode guides in a large format is pretty cool. A lot of the AL ultimate editions have had less content than this for a higher RRP after the early bird price.

Hang on, so is this newly Manga authored or is it using the French @Anime masters? Because surely the whole point of Manga linking up with @Anime for this was to use their masters and not the terrible Wanchor Bay ones, not just to use their box?

I would question how much I'm going to notice a difference of six frames per second, especially when compared to how likely I would be to notice interlacing.

As for what HdE said you're probably referring to the two compilations when you say there's content you don't want. I'm not too fussed on them either since it's just an abridged version of what's already in the set. However I don't actually think the price is bad for what you're getting (as long as the quality turns out alright). 2 seasons and Solid state society plus a really nice artbook, interviews and episode guides in a large format is pretty cool. A lot of the AL ultimate editions have had less content than this for a higher RRP after the early bird price.

Got it more or less in one. Although I have to say I'm not especially fussed about artbooks either. They make nice curios as far as I'm concerned, but very few of the ones I've seen have been the kind of thing I want to look at more than once or twice.

Bigger concern: Just process for a moment that this is an ultimate edition style release, made available via ONE outlet. You can have all of it, in one hit, if you preorder, or nothing.

That is NOT cool, and it's also a fundamentally stupid way to sell anime on disc, in my opinion. That said, I do appreciate that making a physical HD release of the show hasn't been easy.

To be honest, the whole special / ultimate editions price model can't die quickly enough for my liking. I've gone from feeling optimistic about spending money on anime again this year to wondering if I can even be bothered with it anymore. The market's just moved beyond my ability to keep up with it, sadly.

Hang on, so is this newly Manga authored or is it using the French @Anime masters? Because surely the whole point of Manga linking up with @Anime for this was to use their masters and not the terrible Wanchor Bay ones, not just to use their box?

I would question how much I'm going to notice a difference of six frames per second, especially when compared to how likely I would be to notice interlacing.

It is using AL's video assets but the addition of the English dub and English subtitles will require Manga to reauthor.

Got it more or less in one. Although I have to say I'm not especially fussed about artbooks either. They make nice curios as far as I'm concerned, but very few of the ones I've seen have been the kind of thing I want to look at more than once or twice.

Bigger concern: Just process for a moment that this is an ultimate edition style release, made available via ONE outlet. You can have all of it, in one hit, if you preorder, or nothing.

That is NOT cool, and it's also a fundamentally stupid way to sell anime on disc, in my opinion. That said, I do appreciate that making a physical HD release of the show hasn't been easy.

To be honest, the whole special / ultimate editions price model can't die quickly enough for my liking. I've gone from feeling optimistic about spending money on anime again this year to wondering if I can even be bothered with it anymore. The market's just moved beyond my ability to keep up with it, sadly.
I would say you got a point when it comes to being anti - consumer, but look at what happened to some of AL's limited releases that they put on all the storefronts they use! those things were gone in days. I've been lucky to get one just sold by zavvi

I would say you got a point when it comes to being anti - consumer, but look at what happened to some of AL's limited releases that they put on all the storefronts they use! those things were gone in days. I've been lucky to get one just sold by zavvi

The thing is, that's part of the point I'm making. A state of affairs like that is all well and good if less affluent folks have the option of picking up a more keenly priced edition - and maybe split into smaller chunks - later down the line. When the distributor tweets that this is the only version panned for release... well, that sort of validates the assertion I've made before on this forum that anime is becoming a rich man's game.

TL;DR - enjoy your box set folks. I'm not playing.

Well, I went ahead pre-ordered a copy of the Manga DE to add to my obsessively-large GitS Blu-ray collection. I'm not really concerned about the video quality of the UK discs, since the DE will basically be a triple dip for me for all but the compilation movies; I'm in for just the packaging and the book, pretty much. I've got both the Japanese LE Box sets and the Korean lenticular LE box sets for SAC and 2nd Gig, and also the Japanese BD and Hong Kong 3D releases for Solid State Society, for viewing the best video quality. The UK discs will most likely never be removed from their hubs in the digipak anyway, except to view any art underneath them.

After watching an un-boxing video for the the French release, it appears the book is mostly an informational reference and interview book, more so than an art book - it has way more text in it than it does art, so it should be a fairly detailed read.

Last edited:
Back