Manga UK reveals Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex coming to Blu-ray

Gotcha. Well I'm okay with that, I've heard next to no complaints about the French release compared to the US one.

the French release suffers Colour Banding, Interlace artefacts due to converting from 1080i to 1080p, and ofc the 23.97 pulldown are the main complaints about the French releases visual quality.

The packaging that was used for it in FR did suffer some issues with people reporting the disc holders falling out, but thats probably going to be fixed before Manga produce their copies.

the French release suffers Colour Banding, Interlace artefacts due to converting from 1080i to 1080p, and ofc the 23.97 pulldown are the main complaints about the French releases visual quality.

The packaging that was used for it in FR did suffer some issues with people reporting the disc holders falling out, but thats probably going to be fixed before Manga produce their copies.
The 1080i thing is something that's always confused me about SAC - You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I mean it can't be possible to produce animation in an interlaced format (and why on earth would you?) let alone digital animation? So surely it must have been converted to 1080i for broadcast after production, meaning there is an original non-interlaced source somewhere?

The 1080i thing is something that's always confused me about SAC - You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I mean it can't be possible to produce animation in an interlaced format (and why on earth would you?) let alone digital animation? So surely it must have been converted to 1080i for broadcast after production, meaning there is an original non-interlaced source somewhere?
The difficulty comes in the animation and the cg being done at two separate frame rate causing an issue when encoded progressively. Cowboy Bebop had the same problem.

the Blu-ray format doesn't support 1080p30. It does however support it if its in 1080i.

The master made for GITS that Dynit, Korea and Japan use the 1080i master since thats the correct master.

Apparently AL FR received this 1080i master, but it had issues. How it become a pulldown at 1080p is unknown. (Source is a french anime industry person)

Hmm. So I guess my question would be why not use the 1080p 30fps master when converting to 24fps instead of converting the 1080i one to 1080p? That just seems a bit mad.

There is no 1080P 30fps master.

In short :

1 : AL FR got the 1080I (wich is 30FPS) master from Lionsgate/starz, then authored that to become 1080P 23.97 FPS and mess up the Interlace step.
2 : AL is giving their authored version (1080P) to Manga, so Manga only have to put English dub and sub on that version.

Why Manga are not asking AL to give them the original master (1080I from Lionsgate/Starz) I don't know, maybe because Manga want to save money by not re-authoring the video.

The Blu-ray format DOESN'T support 1080p30 which is why it doesn't exist.
Maybe "master" is the wrong terminology then - While it can't be put onto a Blu-ray disc at 1080p30, there must be a non-interlaced original source of some kind from which a non-interlaced master could potentially be produced?

Maybe "master" is the wrong terminology then - While it can't be put onto a Blu-ray disc at 1080p30, there must be a non-interlaced original source of some kind from which a non-interlaced master could potentially be produced?

It doesn't exist since when doing the upscale of the original master, which isn't 1080 they made it interlaced. The source is probably an interlaced source as well since I doubt the keep around the old files, but instead have a master source file that was produced at the time of airing, which pretty much most content back then was interlaced.

The thing is that no 1080p30 master exists, and never will exist since nobody in Japan is going to pay to redo the master from the current source in those settings because no format outside of 4K BDs will support it.

Not for any licensor/distributor.
The Master provided by the right-holder in Japan is a HDCAM (I don't know if its a HDCAM SR or just HDCAM) and the show on it is interlaced, every licensor/distributor in the world have to deal with that.
So no, no others "source" are available, this is how the show was produced/mastered in Japan.

Okay. The idea that they'd wipe the original production files (especially when storage is so comparatively cheap now) and only keep an upscaled interlaced version still seems mad to me, but okay.

Okay. The idea that they'd wipe the original production files (especially when storage is so comparatively cheap now) and only keep an upscaled interlaced version still seems mad to me, but okay.

Just as mad that studios infact threw out the cells for older anime, and store the master film tapes for 90s shows in humid locations causing them to deteriorate. It's not a secret that alot of anime studios/publishers don't take care of the masters/source once they are done with it.

GITS has been mistreated. It would be great if a 1080p30 master was made, and put on BDXLs that can support the format, but it'll never happen.

Back