Manga UK License-a-thon-a-mon January 2011

Ryo Chan said:
[even if] you do boycott things that upset you, the people in control will never [change, because there'll always be a majority out there who seem to enjoy being shafted by them]
Fixed and made relevant to any situation.

megagold5 said:
Well...this got sidetracked pretty quickly. ¬.¬

I'm still smelling Viz's grubby paws all over this....

I don't think Viz will get it, they certainly don't have the manga, that started the release and Kodansha who are continuing it. Reason i say don't worry too much, is cause the usual pattern i see if viz dealing with anime series linked to whatever manga series they own, though obviously exceptions are there.

Funi obviously have the rights but aren't telling us yet.

Last year Manga announced that they had the rights to FMA Brotherhood, but there was no US distributor.

I'm 100% certain that sometime in the spring that Funi will announce they have it :p

Paradox295 said:
Funi obviously have the rights but aren't telling us yet.

Last year Manga announced that they had the rights to FMA Brotherhood, but there was no US distributor.

I'm 100% certain that sometime in the spring that Funi will announce they have it :p

i HOPE thats the case cause im more fond of funi's in house va's than most others. *i can hear it now :wink: *

The Eden Of The East movies a re a dead cert for my region 2 collection. provided I still have my business by the time they come out!

Ignoring the petty and nonsensical (as in, they literally don't make sense) anti-Manga arguments, and also ignoring the almost equally ridiculous "we will announce these if we get xxx followers" bollocks, these are all great licences! Already have the Japanese versions of the EoE movies, but Shikabane Hime was one I was hadn't got around to but am interested in, and Fairy Tail is also a definite purchase.

Zin5ki said:
Ryu Shoji said:
Oh yeah, I forgot Manga UK does inhouse dubbing sometimes...
Have they been doing this at any point within the last decade? I believed that the phenomenon of the "English Dub" ceased during the 1990s.
Millennium Actress (Village Productions) and GiTS Innocence (Epcar Entertainment). Neither exactly "in-house" (one not even in-country) but I don't believe they ever actually owned their own studio anyway.

Regardless, they're using the "expect/waiting on a dub" line on twitter now, which usually means they know a dub is coming from somewhere but after annoying FUNimation over unannounced licenses in the past, are being careful not to tread on toes.

ilmaestro said:
Ignoring the petty and nonsensical (as in, they literally don't make sense) anti-Manga arguments, and also ignoring the almost equally ridiculous "we will announce these if we get xxx followers" bollocks, these are all great licences! Already have the Japanese versions of the EoE movies, but Shikabane Hime was one I was hadn't got around to but am interested in, and Fairy Tail is also a definite purchase.
1/2 of Shikabane Hime :p
They only have Shikabane Hime Aka not Kuro. Having the 2 series air in consecutive seasons was a bit confusing.

Oh, seriously? I don't particularly think the airing format was confusing (well, it didn't confuse me, at least), but if I don't see either specified then I'm going to assume both, naturally.

Setting themselves up for a classic "don't licence the rest until we see how the first bit sells... watch as the first bit doesn't sell because people want to be sure that we're going to release the rest before starting it".

Zin5ki said:
Ryu Shoji said:
Oh yeah, I forgot Manga UK does inhouse dubbing sometimes...
Have they been doing this at any point within the last decade? I believed that the phenomenon of the "English Dub" ceased during the 1990s.
Well they did dub GiTS Innocence, back in, what '05/06? They had the original VA's do the job in LA then brought the masters back here for transfer and release. Seeing as it's now cheaper to fly here then fly there, they could bring the VA's over here as well. Of course they could also do the lot with British VA's, but I'm not sure how that would sell in NA, or anywhere else though it seems British actors can do American accents a lot better than Americans can do British.

ilmaestro said:
Oh, seriously? I don't particularly think the airing format was confusing (well, it didn't confuse me, at least), but if I don't see either specified then I'm going to assume both, naturally.

Setting themselves up for a classic "don't licence the rest until we see how the first bit sells... watch as the first bit doesn't sell because people want to be sure that we're going to release the rest before starting it".

Personally, I don't believe that Manga would be daft enough to licence half a series, and adopt a wait and see approach on how it sells. It takes time to licence these things, and that would increase the delay between Aka and Kuro excessively. Also, since Funimation released both on the same day in the US, it seems unlikely that they would be separate licenses anyway.

I think this is more fancy marketing on the part of Manga, like the follower count-ups on Facebook and Twitter leading to announcements kind of thing. The rest of Shikabane Hime will either be announced just prior to the release of part 1, or it's being saved for MCM May.

It's a daft way of doing things, making your customers uncertain and nervous about buying. Similarly, they really need to make an announcement on the Japanese audio situation on Haruhi S2 pretty soon.

I've got Hell Girl, Beck, and Wallflower sitting forlornly on my shelf reminding me that unless they catagorically state a series will be released in it's entirety I will not go near it except as a rental, so if they want to play silly buggers with a "test the market" strategy they are on a hyding to failure already with me.

Mohawk52 said:
I've got Hell Girl, Beck, and Wallflower sitting forlornly on my shelf reminding me that unless they catagorically state a series will be released in it's entirety I will not go near it except as a rental, so if they want to play silly buggers with a "test the market" strategy they are on a hyding to failure already with me.

Hell Girl and Beck - Revelation, don't sell anime anymore

Wallflower - ADV bust.

Manga - D-Gray Man (Funimation didn't licence the rest)
MAR
Blue Dragon (Viz playing silly buggers)

I think the only reason that Manga has dropped shows of their own volition is for seriously low sales. Tetsujin, Voltron and FMA: B Blu-ray spring to mind.

It's not as bad as Sailor Moon, Yu Yu Hakusho, Initial D and Inuyasha from some other companies that spring to mind.

As many shows that get dropped in the UK, twice as many get dropped in the US.

Mohawk52 said:
Of course they could also do the lot with British VA's, but I'm not sure how that would sell in NA, or anywhere else though it seems British actors can do American accents a lot better than Americans can do British.
On a related note, one of the more unusual tasks on my to-do list is not to watch Steamboy.

Back