Manga UK License-a-thon-a-mon January 2011

link2link8 said:
I would say if Manga wants to get good sales then they could sell fairy tail over in the US considering no one else licensed it... however many more issues may arise and it would take a lot of effort to do so.

America's the power house, i doubt many people have multiregion dvd players over there as opposed to the rest of the world

they're exporters not importers

Yes I do usually. I'm not one to kick up a fuss and throw my toys out the pram when things don't go my way.

Sure Manga ****** up a bit there but it happens. They weren't keen on releasing it on BD in the first place but you and many others convinced them that you'll buy enough to cover the production costs. What happened to that? Sure you did your bit and we appreciate that you did, but a lot of people either bailed or were never going to buy it. Manga have to take half the blame for not foreseeing this but at the same time us, the fans, must take the blame too for not holding up our end of the bargain.

Durial666 said:
Yes I do usually. I'm not one to kick up a fuss and throw my toys out the pram when things don't go my way.

Sure Manga **** up a bit there but it happens. They weren't keen on releasing it on BD in the first place but you and many others convinced them that you'll buy enough to cover the production costs. What happened to that? Sure you did your bit and we appreciate that you did, but a lot of people either bailed or were never going to buy it. Manga have to take half the blame for not foreseeing this but at the same time us, the fans, must take the blame too for not holding up our end of the bargain.

well untill said fans or manga chip in to return me my lost £60, they'll have to live with it.

since us lot that did buy the blurays don't matter, i'm sure they're not losing any sleep if they lost 500 odd customers or however many copies they sold.

I mean what are people thinking, how dare they not waste £30 per bluray just 2 months before the toughest christmas in 20 odd years :roll:

in a seperate piece, i am glad to see they've taken the time and effort to make sure no one else falls into the trap and buys the blurays by recalling the stock too

Ryu Shoji said:
Oh yeah, I forgot Manga UK does inhouse dubbing sometimes...
Have they been doing this at any point within the last decade? I believed that the phenomenon of the "English Dub" ceased during the 1990s.

Ryo Chan said:
well untill said fans or manga chip in to return me my lost £60, they'll have to live with it.

since us lot that did buy the blurays don't matter, i'm sure they're not losing any sleep if they lost 500 odd customers or however many copies they sold.

I mean what are people thinking, how dare they not waste £30 per bluray just 2 months before the toughest christmas in 20 odd years :roll:

You referring to the fma blu-rays? yeah I'm still peed off by that since I was one of the people that bought them both around christmas time... now I have to import from madman and create a custom cover etc. sorry that's me blabbing on.

well if manga is releasing fairy tail (dvd I assume) then it won't be too much trouble, if they drop it... I only see them doing it to blu-rays though... then again I heard they have horrible sales most of the time.

Stuart-says-yes said:
To be fair, even if Part two did come out close to christmas, but part one came out in august and it only shifted 750 copies. I'm sure manga will factor in the hard christmas, but despite it EoE and sengoku basara still sold well.

Anyway, everything you do in life is still a risk ryo, if you were really consered about the £60, you wouldn't have spent it on BD's in the first place.

ofc u would, u'd have a complete show to watch at the end of it. instead i would now have to pay that again just to buy the dvd's for 1 and 2

last i checked, when selling on ebay, people don't like to buy a 6 part series that has 2 parts bluray-4 parts dvd.

If its such a hassle to own them blu-rays, I'll gladly take 'em off your hands.

Buying that £50 BD player and just getting the FUNi BD's would be another alternative.

Manga UK won't be dropping Fairy Tail. Fairy Tail is confirmed to be DVD only. They learned from Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood that releasing Blu-Rays of long series' isn't financially viable, so they won't be doing it again in the near future. They learned from their mistake.

Also, FMA:B will be 5 parts surely? The series is 64 episodes. 64/13 = 4.9; round to 5.

Jayme said:
If its such a hassle to own them blu-rays, I'll gladly take 'em off your hands.

Buying that £50 BD player and just getting the FUNi BD's would be another alternative.

gimme £60 and i will ;)

and tbf i have actually bought that player for this very reason, cost me an extra £50 more but atleast the cash can go to a company that has yet to back stab me once in the past 6 years

It might be worth noting that Funimation have cancelled Kodocha, Sgt Frog, and others. If you want to punish a distributor for not finishing a series, at least in your preferred format, be prepared to eventually boycott just about every distributor out there.

Ryu Shoji said:
Manga UK won't be dropping Fairy Tail. Fairy Tail is confirmed to be DVD only. They learned from Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood that releasing Blu-Rays of long series' isn't financially viable, so they won't be doing it again in the near future. They learned from their mistake.

Also, FMA:B will be 5 parts surely? The series is 64 episodes. 64/13 = 4.9; round to 5.

now ur just getting technical :p

fabricatedlunatic said:
It might be worth noting that Funimation have cancelled Kodocha, Sgt Frog, and others. If you want to punish a distributor for not finishing a series, at least in your preferred format, be prepared to eventually boycott just about every distributor out there.

unless you do boycott things that upset you, the people in control will never learn, i've not said once i will NEVER buy another manga dvd, but a boycott by fans fixed the dubtitle issues, a boycott by fans got companies to stop ignoring series that cost alot for dubs, to release sub only dvd's, if people don't take a stand, things will never change

Stuart-says-yes said:
Ryo Chan said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

unless you do boycott things that upset you, the people in control will never learn, i've not said once i will NEVER buy another manga dvd, but a boycott by fans fixed the dubtitle issues, a boycott by fans got companies to stop ignoring series that cost alot for dubs, to release sub only dvd's, if people don't take a stand, things will never change

TBF, manga did state that they may continue with the releases when BD's become more viable to release, or they may re-release it later as a complete BD set. Also you know if they keep wasting muneh on FMA, there won't be any chance of them releasing a K-ON BD.

tbf i'll be buying that from japan most likey to avoid christina vee's voice :D

Stuart-says-yes said:
Ryo Chan said:
Stuart-says-yes said:
Ryo Chan said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

TBF, manga did state that they may continue with the releases when BD's become more viable to release, or they may re-release it later as a complete BD set. Also you know if they keep wasting muneh on FMA, there won't be any chance of them releasing a K-ON BD.

tbf i'll be buying that from japan most likey to avoid christina vee's voice :D

Wait, so your complaining about spending £60 on Blu-rays despite each blu-ray with only 2-3 episodes costing about the same, with out any subtitles?

stu, does the word box set mean anything to you? lol

Ryo Chan said:
Hey, whether or not you boycott Manga is your prerogative. It's no concern of mine. All I'm saying is that even the Great Mighty Funimation have cancelled releases and they will do it again.

Although I would say that boycotting Manga in this instance is doubly pointless because they're not going to release any more long-running series on BD, and thus there cannot be any further problems of the nature that affected Brotherhood.

New licenses, you say?

Eden of the East movies: saw those coming, will buy.
Corpse Princess: a bit late, but might buy.
Fairy Tail: meh.

Back