Manga Force - UK anime magazine hits national TV

Hi there, I'm new to this forum, just found it whilst searching for "Manga Force" in an attempt to find out what was next in the line-up of titles. I am subscribed to this magazine and I think it's pretty good; yes the "magazine" is crap beyond belief however I buy it for the DVDs. If I searched I could probably find them cheaper but by subscribing I don't have the trouble of pondering over which titles to get - they just arrive at my door! Also it means THANKFULLY my knowledge of anime is now broadened past Naruto. *cringe* To think that might have been my favourite anime... Praise the lord for this mag haha :p

Couple of questions for the subscribers:

Did anyone else get charged extra when the mags with the binder came through? I have my invoices here (I'm missing about 1 / 2) and they all read (except the 1st one) £17.98. However the one with the binder is £21.97.
Now correct me if I'm wrong but I thought these were "free gifts". They didn't even ask if I wanted the binder, but I still recieved and had to pay for it! If I had known I had to pay for it I would have said "no thank you"! Did anyone else have to pay? Reckon we did have to pay or think it's a cock-up?

Also, with the whole Street Fighter mess, I went to watch the disc I had recieved (that was supposed to be SF Alpha) and it didn't work - I couldn't select play or anything. Anyone else have this problem? I thought that was why they replaced the disc in the following episodes but then I got confused upon recieving the apologetic letter! Does this mean I will get the SF Generations in an upcoming issue? So there is no need to contact them and replace the broken disc? Basically should I bother contacting them to replace the faulty disc or just wait and see what happens when SF Generations comes? The letter they sent confused me, I'm simple! xP

WOW sorry for the uber-long monster post so I'm going to make my key points bold so my post doesn't get skipped :p

Thanks everyone ^-^

Tsunami_Spike said:
I've heard it's definitely one of the better ones, which is good...

Dead Leaves was pretty cool, and quite funny in places

Dead Leaves was crazy scatty! I told my friend that I had recieved it and he said that one of his friends had been ranting and raving about it. So we got to my house, fixed some refreshments and put on the dvd.

My CHRIST flashing images! It was just under an hour long and around the 45minute mark I had to stare at the floor for a bit! I got a headache after watching it and we were really unsure what really happened; I'm sure there was a great storyline in there somewhere, amongst the explosions and retina-burning flashes!

Overall, pretty good film however make sure you are an experienced anime watcher and are used to flashing images! Oh yeah and if you have eppilepsy go NOWHERE near this. :) Anyone else agree?

JJ181 said:
Hi there, I'm new to this forum, just found it whilst searching for "Manga Force" in an attempt to find out what was next in the line-up of titles. I am subscribed to this magazine and I think it's pretty good; yes the "magazine" is crap beyond belief however I buy it for the DVDs. If I searched I could probably find them cheaper but by subscribing I don't have the trouble of pondering over which titles to get - they just arrive at my door! Also it means THANKFULLY my knowledge of anime is now broadened past Naruto. *cringe* To think that might have been my favourite anime... Praise the lord for this mag haha :p

Did anyone else get charged extra when the mags with the binder came through? I have my invoices here (I'm missing about 1 / 2) and they all read (except the 1st one) £17.98. However the one with the binder is £21.97.
Now correct me if I'm wrong but I thought these were "free gifts". They didn't even ask if I wanted the binder, but I still recieved and had to pay for it! If I had known I had to pay for it I would have said "no thank you"! Did anyone else have to pay? Reckon we did have to pay or think it's a cock-up?

Also, with the whole Street Fighter mess, I went to watch the disc I had recieved (that was supposed to be SF Alpha) and it didn't work - I couldn't select play or anything. Anyone else have this problem? I thought that was why they replaced the disc in the following episodes but then I got confused upon recieving the apologetic letter! Does this mean I will get the SF Generations in an upcoming issue? So there is no need to contact them and replace the broken disc? Basically should I bother contacting them to replace the faulty disc or just wait and see what happens when SF Generations comes? The letter they sent confused me, I'm simple! xP

Thanks everyone ^-^

Going by other Hachette partworks mags, I suspect you'll have to pay for another two binders (depending on if there are more than 50 issues), and it is annoying if you don't actually want them. Usually the first one is free, but if you've been charged, I'd suggest checking any and all paperwork for why this would be the case.

The disk replacement was because the wrong film was on it. It should have been 'Alpha', but instead it was 'Generations'. You will be getting another copy of Generations with an issue soon (in fact the one it was supposed to come with), so if it's Generations you can't watch, I'd wait until the duplicate arrives and see how that is.

And yeah, the mag sucks :). They should hava had iterviews with those involved, or else just made it seem worth owning.

hellrider said:
JJ181 said:

Thanks everyone ^-^

Going by other Hachette partworks mags, I suspect you'll have to pay for another two binders (depending on if there are more than 50 issues), and it is annoying if you don't actually want them. Usually the first one is free, but if you've been charged, I'd suggest checking any and all paperwork for why this would be the case.

The disk replacement was because the wrong film was on it. It should have been 'Alpha', but instead it was 'Generations'. You will be getting another copy of Generations with an issue soon (in fact the one it was supposed to come with), so if it's Generations you can't watch, I'd wait until the duplicate arrives and see how that is.

And yeah, the mag sucks :). They should hava had iterviews with those involved, or else just made it seem worth owning.

Ooo cheers for the info and advice :D

Hmmm well it's the only one that was charged more and it was the only one with a binder haha. Although it didn't mention anything on the letter!

And yeah SF Generations doesn't work so I may aswel wait :D

Again, thanks mate :)

Hi, this post is very informative; however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Fee fi fo fum, I smell spam.
lol me too.

Okay so I watched Macross Plus The Movie today. Anyone else feel ripped off? Is it just me or is the movie just the previous 4 episodes we recived just put onto one disk?

I haven't watched it, as I didn't really like Macross that much. xD
*needs to watch the last set he got*

Lol I thought it was good, but still, did anyone else see that the movie was just those 4 eps on 1 disc? Or did I just get a random disc? :p

JJ181 said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
Fee fi fo fum, I smell spam.
lol me too.

Okay so I watched Macross Plus The Movie today. Anyone else feel ripped off? Is it just me or is the movie just the previous 4 episodes we recived just put onto one disk?

Yeah, But this didn't bother me that much... It was nice to watch all the way through Macross without changing discs, plus there was suppose to be 20 minutes of additional footage created just for the movies release according to the magazine…

JJ181 said:
Tsunami_Spike said:

Dead Leaves was crazy scatty! I told my friend that I had recieved it and he said that one of his friends had been ranting and raving about it. So we got to my house, fixed some refreshments and put on the dvd.

My CHRIST flashing images! It was just under an hour long and around the 45minute mark I had to stare at the floor for a bit! I got a headache after watching it and we were really unsure what really happened; I'm sure there was a great storyline in there somewhere, amongst the explosions and retina-burning flashes!

Overall, pretty good film however make sure you are an experienced anime watcher and are used to flashing images! Oh yeah and if you have eppilepsy go NOWHERE near this. :) Anyone else agree?

I'd second that, definitely one for those more used to anime, and those with an open mind on some more...insane...animes. First time round I was like "Whoa, now I think I'll put this away...", gave it a second chance and loved it from then on. Couple of less anime-savvy friends watched it and couldn't understand it at all, was amusing seeing them try to work it out.

As to Macross Plus. There's the tv series, the movie and then the 4 part OVA. The OVA was based on the movie script but edited, The scriptwriter Keiko Nobumoto originally wrote Macross Plus as a feature-length work before the script evolved into a four-volume video series. The movie was then released to return the script to it's originally planned full length movie, that is why the OVA and the movie are the same deal, and why you shouldn't feel too ripped off..

Tsunami_Spike said:
JJ181 said:
Tsunami_Spike said:

I'd second that, definitely one for those more used to anime, and those with an open mind on some more...insane...animes. First time round I was like "Whoa, now I think I'll put this away...", gave it a second chance and loved it from then on. Couple of less anime-savvy friends watched it and couldn't understand it at all, was amusing seeing them try to work it out.

I once described Dead Leaves as part of the 'Trilogy of Madness' - including Dragonhalf and Puni Puni Poemi to a friend. I still love the film, loads of exceptionally great stuff, though for some reason the first 5 minute rumble, and the sight of guys carrying around a tank turret stick out as classic moments :p

Tsunami_Spike said:
JJ181 said:
Tsunami_Spike said:

As to Macross Plus. There's the tv series, the movie and then the 4 part OVA. The OVA was based on the movie script but edited, The scriptwriter Keiko Nobumoto originally wrote Macross Plus as a feature-length work before the script evolved into a four-volume video series. The movie was then released to return the script to it's originally planned full length movie, that is why the OVA and the movie are the same deal, and why you shouldn't feel too ripped off..

oooooo it all makes sense now :D cheers. and lol at the dead leaves comment xD Yeah introducing newbies to really heavy stuff is fantastic!!!

p.s. yay for quote towers! xD

Has anyone got their copies of 17 and 18 yet?

I'm wondering whether they are waiting for 19 to send that at the same time for free or whether due to a problem with my credit card I had at around the time they couldn't take the money to send the last two DVDs.

Not got mine yet either, which is annoying...might have something to do with issue 19 I guess.

Edit - Arrived this morning, just 17 and 18

17 - Perfect Blue
18 - HeatGuy J Eps 9-13

19 will be...in the growing pattern - Tokyo Underground Eps 10-14

Tsunami_Spike said:
Not got mine yet either, which is annoying...might have something to do with issue 19 I guess.

17 - Perfect Blue
18 - HeatGuy J Eps 9-13

mine hasn't arrived yet O_O has any one else not got their copies?

I guess i'll wait another week and then i'll complain? D:

JJ181 said:
Tsunami_Spike said:

17 - Perfect Blue
18 - HeatGuy J Eps 9-13

mine hasn't arrived yet O_O has any one else not got their copies?

I guess i'll wait another week and then i'll complain? D:

Yeah, s'what I did the one and only time I've had delays, emailled em after a month of when it should've arrived

yay well mine arrived! :D haven't watched them yet though, been too busy :(

i wonder what 20 will be? Any guesses?

Back