Manga Entertainment need to take a chill pill

Mohawk52 said:
Revelation isn't dead, they just don't do anime anymore. They had Beck, Mongolian Chop Squad, and Hell Girl which were far from "niche" and they still choked on finishing the series. Reason? Anime was just too much for them to handle and really wasn't their main line of product in the first place. In short, it was just a side dish, not the main course, hence it kept being put back for more important [to them] other things to get out first. The implication that VR Emma would fail in the UK is just plan ludacris. :roll:
As I understand it Revelation was just acting as a distributor for FUNimation, so FUNi was calling the shots.

Sad to hear, people ragged on Manga/Jerome way too hard even in the context of some of the... stuff that happened.

Outright swearing at people is probably going a little bit too far for companies to put up with, though, even if it's on your personal account.

Mohawk52 said:
ilmaestro said:
I wonder if he is being a bit cleverer than you guys are giving him credit for, and implying that releasing niche shows like Emma on DVD is the kind of thing that lead to Revelation's demise as an anime distro.
Revelation isn't dead, they just don't do anime anymore.
ilmaestro said:
demise as an anime distro.
ilmaestro said:
as an anime distro.
ilmaestro said:
anime distro.
ilmaestro said:
ilmaestro said:

ilmaestro said:
Sad to hear, people ragged on Manga/Jerome way too hard even in the context of some of the... stuff that happened.

Outright swearing at people is probably going a little bit too far for companies to put up with, though, even if it's on your personal account

Jerome put it on himself the moment he took it beyond "Thing is happening here" "Yes that's right", "no that's wrong" and "We have nothing to say at this time, stay tuned" and the occasional witty banter.

Remember this is the same person who said, rather rudely, that people who came to the logical conclusion that DBZ was coming out through them back in October through the MCM catalogue were jumping to conclusions and was adamantly sweeping it under the rug.

He's probably very good at his getting stuff job (though him aquessing to the japanese company's stupid **** is getting more and more evident) but his PR job leaves something to be desired both in terms of professionalism and actually doing stuff.

For Example, what ever happened to that big campaign that was to happen for DBZ? Hum?

ConanThe3rd said:
Remember this is the same person who said, rather rudely, that people who came to the logical conclusion that DBZ was coming out through them back in October through the MCM catalogue were jumping to conclusions and was adamantly sweeping it under the rug.
As I have said before, when he denied it initially he didn't know a leak had occurred. After that he was stuck between a rock and a hard place, having already denied it and since admitting they had it would be a break of contract and could lead to them losing it, or at least a big setback in a relationship with Toei that's taken years to build.

Shiroi Hane said:
ConanThe3rd said:
As I have said before, when he denied it initially he didn't know a leak had occurred. After that he was stuck between a rock and a hard place, having already denied it and since admitting they had it would be a break of contract and could lead to them losing it, or at least a big setback in a relationship with Toei that's taken years to build.
Pretty much this. Unfortunately, things just aren't as simple as "If it's leaked, it's okay to talk about it".

It's not the leaking, it's how it's handled that makes all the difference. Where Manga could have gone with a simple 'no comment', they instead went with a ' fans adding 1 and 1 to get three' attitude that could have been interpreted as cheeky chappie and fun, but unfortunately for them, a significant minority saw it as condescending and rude.

And in PR it's not the intentions that matter, it's results that count.

Joshawott said:
Shiroi Hane said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Pretty much this. Unfortunately, things just aren't as simple as "If it's leaked, it's okay to talk about it".
No, but it is simple as "if it is leaked, keep calm, insist that you have nothing to announce at this time and then shut the hell up before you make yourself a laughing stock."

Joshawott said:
Well, I did see DBZ advertised in last month's Official Nintendo Magazine, so...
Well, that's a start, at least.

Shiroi Hane said:
As I understand it Revelation was just acting as a distributor for FUNimation, so FUNi was calling the shots.
So you're saying it was FUNi what told Revelation not to release the final disc of Beck, or the rest of season 1 of Hell Girl?

Joshawott said:
Well, I did see DBZ advertised in last month's Official Nintendo Magazine, so...
It's been in Gamesmaster and in a lot of the Marvel "Collector's Edition" comics too...I'm kinda surprised with how much I've been seeing it.

Yeah I suspect a lot of people who might think things like DBZ don't get a lot of advertising are fairly unlikely to be looking in the places where it would be advertised in the first place.

Mohawk52 said:
Shiroi Hane said:
So you're saying it was FUNi what told Revelation not to release the final disc of Beck, or the rest of season 1 of Hell Girl?
Revelation lost the rights to everything after FUNimation started working with Manga so, pretty much.

Shiroi Hane said:
Mohawk52 said:
Shiroi Hane said:
Revelation lost the rights to everything after FUNimation started working with Manga so, pretty much.
If that is true it was a very stupid act to do. Which begs the question, why didn't FUNi have Manga complete these then? They must have realised what they had done to UK fans who bought the singles, like myself. Just f***ing stupid, and the number one reason I'll never buy another singlely sold series until it's either completely released, or in a box set. :roll:

Mohawk52 said:
Shiroi Hane said:
Mohawk52 said:
Shiroi Hane said:
If that is true it was a very stupid act to do. Which begs the question, why didn't FUNi have Manga complete these then? They must have realised what they had done to UK fans who bought the singles, like myself. Just f***ing stupid, and the number one reason I'll never buy another singlely sold series until it's either completely released, or in a box set. :roll:

i hear that bro

No-one outside the companies knows all the details, but from what I understand Manga is more independent - FUNi offers them titles and they sub-license if they wish to. I believe that with MVM and Rev Films FUNimation was directly in control.

When they switched from MVM to Revelation, MVM lost access to all the titles but since the setup was essentially the same but with a different distributor, Revelation continued where they left off with FMA etc. The same didn't happen with Manga since the setup was completely different - Manga wasn't offered those unfinished titles, wasn't interested in them or perhaps they were tied up with Revelation for a time and weren't worth picking up later.

These titles clearly aren't lost to the UK completely since MVM somehow negotiated back Kiddy Grade and Fruits Basket recently. While Manga has said 'no' to getting the first series of Gunslinger Girl, they are at least willing to consider getting the original FMA. There's no chance of Hell Girl considering it was a failure for FUNimation.

So, I tweet to MangaUK saying how I think the decision to use a single BD case with a slip cover for Madoka Magica over the cool boxset shown on Amazon is lame and I ask if it was a MangaUK decision or an Aniplex decision. Jerome's first reply was:
It's a complete series collection with one cover and a reverse! It's got 2 be a team image. Bite me ;D JM
Okay, fair enough 'tis a bit of banter, so I decided to play along with:
*imagines Kyoko chomping down on a bit of Pocky* You don't want that xD. Still have it on pre-order - anyone who doesn't is insane.

And then he replies:
@joshawott Pussy Riot verdict, 34 miners killed in S.Africa, over 1 mill youth unemployed in UK. Much more important stuff 2 worry about.

Holy over-reaction Batman...

So he didn't answer the question then changed the subject in a rather condescending manner?

Jerome is wasted in that job, he should be a politician.

Back