UK Anime Distributor Manga Entertainment Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ConanThe3rd said:
Did Jerome (or whoever) even tell people that'd be the result?
ConanThe3rd

We don't know that that is the reason behind the delay, however Jerome's tweet certainly implies it is.

I also doubt Jerome would/could give away contact details.

I mean, it was officially talked about here:
Dragon Ball Z Resurrection 'F' - Home Video Date Change
Dear Fans

I’d like to thank the UK Dragon Ball Z fan community for their amazing support and enthusiasm for the theatrical release of Resurrection of F. Because of you, DBZRF is going out on more screens on its initial opening than any other anime film ever released in the UK previously. That’s an amazing accomplishment. However! Because of the unprecedented demand for cinema showings across the country we will have to push back the UK home video release.

One of our retail partners has today notified its customers of a date change. This is not the final date that has been decided. We are currently working very hard to find a new street date that satisfies not only the retailers and theatrical exhibitors requirements, but which also doesn’t cause you guys to have to wait any longer than necessary for it on DVD and Blu-ray. Marketing and selling anime is a tricky business as a lot of you know and we are lucky that our audience is especially patient and supportive. I don’t think many other companies can claim the same thing. I really hate disappointing you and I can only apologise for any confusion that’s been caused by today’s events. We will announce a new home video street date imminently and we will work our butts off, as always, to ensure it is as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for helping shape the UK theatrical release of DBZRF and enabling us to get it onto an unprecedented number of screens. This result means that if you are a passionate DBZ fan who wants to see the movie on a local screen, you probably can. That makes me happy. I apologize for any disappointment and inconvenience the home video date change announcement has caused you. Please stay tooned for further announcements from @MangaUK. Meanwhile! Enjoy #DBZRF in cinemas, nationwide from 30th September.

Kame-hame-ha!

Jerome Mazandarani
COO
Manga Entertainment Ltd/Animatsu Entertainment Ltd
mangauk.com

Jerome has confirmed that World Conquest Zvezda Plot will also have a Blu-ray release.

As far as I'm aware this marks the third Aniplex title (Magi Season 1 and 2 were the first two) to receive a Blu-ray over here whereas the US is currently DVD only.

Back in July at Manchester Comic Con, there was a little disappointment to be felt from the news that Kazé's release of World Conquest Zvezda Plot would be a DVD-only affair.

However, it's now been confirmed by Manga Entertainment's COO Jerome Mazandarani via Twitter that this series has now been upgraded to both DVD and Blu-ray editions for the UK market, with the show curently slated for a November 2nd 2015 Complete Series Collection release.

Retailers should be updating their listings to reflect this soon, although there's no news of another DVD-only Kazé release, Coppelion, enjoying a similar upgrade at the time of writing. Regardless, it's another snippet of positive news for Blu-ray anime buyers!

DragonBlaze67 said:
I've always wondered why Magi didn't get a Blu-ray release in the US, is the Kaze proper HD native or a upscale?

Should be HD Native, the series is relatively new (Winter 2014 I think).

Probably a pretty low resolution as far as HD goes though. I imagine because it's a shounen series or something and the people who buy these shounen series normally just buy DVDs? It really isn't the best looking show anyway.

I thought it was pretty good looking personally. Even if it is a Shonen, it's not in an always-on production cycle like Naruto and Fairy Tail are. If you search on YouTube for Sakuga videos quite a few of them feature clips from Magi.

Magi had a BD release in Japan. Unfortunately the series is quite popular over there so the fact that they wanted to discourage reverse importation while being aware the audience was mostly going to be teens and females means that it ended up lumbered with a DVD-only release in the US. The series is very popular with women and there's a belief that they generally accept cheaper DVD-only releases. It's a shame as it means I can't buy it; I don't want to own Kaze products and don't want a show on DVD when it will blatantly be released again on BD one day. Plus Animax gave it a terrible 'simul'cast so it's had a rotten time right from the start.

R

NormanicGrav said:
As far as I'm aware this marks the third Aniplex title (Magi Season 1 and 2 were the first two) to receive a Blu-ray over here whereas the US is currently DVD only.
There's also the partial case of Persona 4 where the original BDs were dub-only (a hybrid BD came 3 years later)

I'm not really keen to get a Kaze release but I would kind of prefer to get Zvezda on Blu-ray. I might get it if it's cheap enough and then look at importing later.

NormanicGrav said:
DragonBlaze67 said:
I've always wondered why Magi didn't get a Blu-ray release in the US, is the Kaze proper HD native or a upscale?

Should be HD Native, the series is relatively new (Winter 2014 I think).
for that VERY short amount of time Manga/Kaze put Magi on Netflix it was full HD. On a related note what the hell happened with that??

Lots of other Manga releases from around that period look like they're going OOP too:

Sengoku Basara - Samurai Kings
Ghost Hunt
Negima (The Shaft Version)
Sherlock Hound
Hetalia - Axis Powers
Black Blood Brothers
Jyu Oh Sei
Buso Renkin

Kind of weird to think that just four years ago is 'old' now - although I do seem to remember Jerome saying in an old Manga podcast that four years is perhaps the standard length for an anime contract if it isn't renewed. I imagine some of the lower profile shows will just lapse as there's little value in Manga renewing them, unlike long-time sellers like the early Naruto volumes and so on.

But yeah, all contributes to that thing in anime of - if you want it, buy it sooner rather than later.

Lutga said:
Kind of weird to think that just four years ago is 'old' now - although I do seem to remember Jerome saying in an old Manga podcast that four years is perhaps the standard length for an anime contract if it isn't renewed. I imagine some of the lower profile shows will just lapse as there's little value in Manga renewing them, unlike long-time sellers like the early Naruto volumes and so on.

But yeah, all contributes to that thing in anime of - if you want it, buy it sooner rather than later.
Yeah sad for people who come into anime late though as I only become a major fan a year ago for example

Anyone else noticed that on VUE Cinema's website, when you go to book tickets for Boruto, it lists two showings for Sat 15th (when you select Stratford City Westfields as your preferred cinema anyway) - I guess these mean we have more dates.

does anyone know what's in the akame ga kill book ? loved the show but if the book is just character bio's and plot outlines etc then i think i'll pass, if it's more like the fate stay night ce though i'll go for it, also does anyone here think the price may drop, it's limited to 1000 so it'll go oop quite soon ?

windcott said:
does anyone know what's in the akame ga kill book ? loved the show but if the book is just character bio's and plot outlines etc then i think i'll pass, if it's more like the fate stay night ce though i'll go for it, also does anyone here think the price may drop, it's limited to 1000 so it'll go oop quite soon ?

I don't know what the exact contents are but it contains most/all of the booklet contents from the Japanese Blu-ray volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back