London expo

Mutsumi said:
You must have had your hands full going around expo with all those things you brought. How did you carry the things you bought there?

What are you implying with your implying italics? But if you want to know I had 3 large bags and rucksack. It was a pain to have to stand holding them all the way back on the DLR...

Aogu said:
Mutsumi said:
You must have had your hands full going around expo with all those things you brought. How did you carry the things you bought there?

What are you implying with your implying italics? But if you want to know I had 3 large bags and rucksack. It was a pain to have to stand holding them all the way back on the DLR...

I was using emphasising italics to draw attention to two particular words, 'brought' and 'bought', and demonstrating their usage.

Aogu said:
I think I might have brought a bootleg Totoro, how do you actually check (I've ever brought anything except manga and anime before!)

Means the same as:

English Teacher Mutsumi said:
I think the Totoro I took with me to Expo may have been a bootleg, how do you actually check? (I've never taken with me anything except manga and anime before!)

Brought = to bring

Bought = to buy

Class dismissed. Do not look at this as condescendingly correcting your own mistake, but as giving you the gift of knowledge. Helping you to better yourself by improving your understanding of things. Some people would pay money for such lessons, but you may have this for free. :)

Ahh I see my error, I was aware of the difference I just hadn't spotted my error, thank you for pointing it out.

I thought you were implying I stole it, it was just me being a moron. I didnt even spot the different spellings in your post... :oops:

The trains on Saturday...oh cripes. I feel sorry for anyone who was wearing any of the lovingly crafted cosplays. Though on a happier note, getting on that last train to the actual event and finding the carriages stuffed full of shinigami, rogue ninja and similar will easily be one of the most memorable parts of that day. Reminded me alot of the Lucky Star con episode.

"More of her people are boarding..." :lol:

Aogu said:
Ahh I see my error, I was aware of the difference I just hadn't spotted my error, thank you for pointing it out.

I thought you were implying I stole it, it was just me being a moron. I didnt even spot the different spellings in your post... :oops:

Oh, phew. Thats ok then. :p I was just trying to be.....amusingly subtle before with italics. :D Glad all is cool though. :)

God you should of seen the amount of stuff I was carrying on my way back from London.

Nice to see new and old faces again at the Expo, sorry if i was a bit quiet at the Fox meet :)

I think i might shorten my days a little next time!

HellCat said:
The trains on Saturday...oh cripes. I feel sorry for anyone who was wearing any of the lovingly crafted cosplays.

Feel sorry for me I had a vest, shirt, wool blazer and thermals all for this mid Autumn weather and spent over an hour touring London..on the tube

I disembarked the DLR at Canning Town, for reasons that should be obvious. (Indeed, I was effectively making bodily contact of a legally questionable sort with other travellers, though there was not an inch to budge.) From there I caught a bus to Aldgate and enjoyed the cool air of the City, before heading to the Tesco in Covent Garden for some much-needed Rubicon mango drink.

Otaku-san, such is the price one pays for being dapper.

Because my unfortunate mishap meant I had to leave early, it was a more a case of getting stuck in the actual network than the tube trains themselves. Lots of *crowd moves forward 5 paces...stops a while...another 5 paces...stops a while*

I'd actually be interested to meet some folks if I go next time. Alot of the fun was clearly in that part of it and I sadly chose to go solo. Amusing pipe dream- get a bunch of people who have only chatted online to make their way seperately to the event each dressed as one of the new designs for the Straw Hat Pirates :D :wink:

HellCat said:
Because my unfortunate mishap meant I had to leave early, it was a more a case of getting stuck in the actual network than the tube trains themselves. Lots of *crowd moves forward 5 paces...stops a while...another 5 paces...stops a while*

Just enthusiastically read lines from the Qu'oran, nobody will get too close to you then. :p

Either that or say "I think I'm going to throw up..." followed by gagging noises. XD

This was the fourth time I've been to MCM Expo, I went on the Saturday and I was in the main area by 9:15 compared to 9:50 last May. Bought fewer doujinshi and more DVDs, watched some of the Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Q&A forgetting the anime industry panel was on at the same time. I think the range of cosplay characters were more varied this time too, I've attached a photo of the early morning queue as it was filling up from my main point. No bad experiences at all and the few people I talked to were friendly to deal with, better than last May for sure. I'll be going again next May, maybe in costume too, I'll see...

Aogu said:
Reaper gI said:
I hate having to spotcheck everything for bootlegs anyway, so I import everything I actualy want. So much easier, and cheaper.

I think I might have bought a bootleg Totoro, how do you actually check (I've never bought anything except manga and anime before!)

EDIT: I mean I haven't brought any figurines/clothing/plushies etc. and I didn't have any either! OFC I buy other stuff....

EDIT2: Corrected "brought" "bought" error... woops
Plushies, you check for the tag, and read it to check it has the correct copyright info on it. Also check print quality, and if it has any hollofoil stickers it should.
Quality of fabric and workmanship would also be an indicator. Licenced stuff is generaly pricey and well made.
Misspelled or missing copyright atributation is the main thing to check for bootlegs. changing the © to c, for instance.

Figures are worse as they often use very close copies of the packaging (and you can't take them out to check details easily), the other main checks are: holofoil stickers or sticker from a known EU (Abysse corp) or US (AAA Anime) importer, quality of the plastic used; matt plastic is better than cheap (shiny), and fine details in paintwork. It can also be horrible to notice incorrect deails unless you have a real one to compare to.

Reaper gI said:
Plushies, you check for the tag, and read it to check it has the correct copyright info on it. Also check print quality, and if it has any hollofoil stickers it should.
Quality of fabric and workmanship would also be an indicator. Licenced stuff is generaly pricey and well made.
Misspelled or missing copyright atributation is the main thing to check for bootlegs. changing the © to c, for instance.

Hmm has a tag, all in Japanese no © in sight... Can't read anything, so I dont know if there is anything about copyright. No hollofoil stickers , also the quality isn't great at all. The only thing in Latin alphabet says "ONIB OWKI TOKOMASHOYEN"

Mutsumi said:
HellCat said:

Just enthusiastically read lines from the Qu'oran, nobody will get too close to you then. :p

Either that or say "I think I'm going to throw up..." followed by gagging noises. XD

That first joke can get you thrown in prison these days, or atleast bundled by a rugby squad sized men who will proceed to pull your limbs off...or the classic "kick the terrorist as hard as possible in the gonads"

THe throwing up one will work. :p

HellCat said:

I'd actually be interested to meet some folks if I go next time. Alot of the fun was clearly in that part of it and I sadly chose to go solo. Amusing pipe dream- get a bunch of people who have only chatted online to make their way seperately to the event each dressed as one of the new designs for the Straw Hat Pirates :D :wink:

You'd be suprised, we all spoke about wearing some sort of AUKN tshirt or badge lasttime, and otaku turned up in a hawaiin shirt and Otaku-san wrote on a tshirt below it. zin5ki turned up with a armband with a picture of a duck/goose/bird on it and jayme turned up as a 12 year old ;) Chaos was in a suit aswell. so asking for cosplaying to one piece probably isn't too much to ask ;)

Hope you all had a good weekend at the expo.

Aogu said:
Hmm has a tag, all in Japanese no © in sight... Can't read anything, so I dont know if there is anything about copyright. No hollofoil stickers , also the quality isn't great at all. The only thing in Latin alphabet says "ONIB OWKI TOKOMASHOYEN"
Likely bootleg then. At least you know which bit to check in future, Ghibli stuff is well known to have loads of bootlegs, due to high popularity.

Reaper gI said:
Aogu said:
Likely bootleg then. At least you know which bit to check in future, Ghibli stuff is well known to have loads of bootlegs, due to high popularity.

:( Ahh well I assumed so, I wasnt aware that that kind of thing could happen at the expo, but hey! I still like it (even if I did pay to much for it). And thanks for the tips in future!

Expo was pretty good this time. Was able to say hi to Aogu before the madness started, but I think I missed Chaos while I was out on a shopping spree. (much financial damage was done, lol)

Back