Legal Streaming 2017: Q2 Spring season | Stream Wars: The Amazon Strikes Back

Crunchyroll | New Addition (Regions Confirmed) [Simulcast]

f8bac4fcf8949589f21e144770e32e3f1491284606_full.png

Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor (Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records)
Announced earlier for VRV and Crunchyroll, the regions are now revealed. It will be streaming for Worldwide outside Asia.

Poor Grav has been ill and trying to tackle assignments at the same time, but that's no excuse.

Amazon Prime | New Addition with Region Confirmation Later [Simulcast]

grimoire-of-zero-sentai-filmworks-870x520.png

Grimoire of Zero (Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho)
Sentai Filmworks have acquired the license to this show and made it exclusive to Anime Strike. Regions outside North America are unknown.

sentai-filmworks-kabukibu.png

Kabukibu!
Sentai Filmworks have acquired the license to this show and made it exclusive to Anime Strike. Regions outside North America are unknown. Note that the Japanese licensor is Shochiku not Kadokawa.

Crunchyroll | New Addition [Simulcast]

587391de7524a8e9e9645ad82e15d18e1491327567_full.jpg

The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls Theater
The show will be streaming on Crunchyroll for regions Worldwide outside Asia.

b44179b9f40352a16839ec010680dfe01491327663_full.jpg

The Royal Tutor (Oushitsu Kyoushi Haine)

97fbe4bb84222ae9e6f1779d2005b35b1491340843_full.jpg

Sakura Quest
The show will be streaming on Crunchyroll for regions USA, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark.

While I did note this down for Amazon Prime, the show was actually only exclusive to that service in Japan only. After doing some research there have been cases of this happening where outside Japan territories get the title on other services; for example Interview with Monster Girls.

Amazon Prime | New Addition (Region Confirmed) [Simulcast]

PhWlvOs.jpg

Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend Flat (Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata ♭)
As part of the NoitaminA deal, the first episode is now accessible on the Amazon UK Instant Video service.

The Anime Network | Unavailable to the UK & Ireland [Simulcast]

RNE_03_01_353x248.jpg

Rin-ne [Season 3]
The third season of Rin-ne will only be streaming to United States and Canada for The Anime Network.

Crunchyroll | New Addition [Simulcast]

c93070a3b2899da359bf448fb79bf23f1491396495_full.png

Tsukigakirei

Amazon Prime | Spring 2017 Line-up [Simulcast]

We now know what titles are officially part of Amazon's Anime Strike service for North America.
  • Anonymous Noise (Fukumenkei Noise)
  • Armed Girl's Machiavellism (Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism)
  • Atom: The Beginning
  • Eromanga-sensei
  • Granblue Fantasy the Animation
  • Grimoire of Zero (Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho)
  • Kabukibu!
  • Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul (Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul)
  • Re:Creators
  • Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend Flat (Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata ♭)
  • Sagrada Reset (Sakurada Reset)
  • Sword Oratoria: Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side (Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria)
Aniplex titles Eromanga Sensei and Granblue Fantasy the Animation will be available on other platforms. The rest are exclusive to the service. Only Saekano Flat will be UK viewable. However Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul (Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul) and Re:Creators may turn up on the UK side.

Let us try to isolate the silver lining around this cloud.
Everyone is complaining that too much anime is being produced each season. Thanks to the abyss that is Anime Strike, the number seems far more reasonable all of a sudden!

I'm not sure why they'd just fall into nothingness. Surely Amazon's licence only extends to the US, meaning Crunchyroll, Viewster, Daisuke, etc, could snap up the UK rights?

I'm not sure why they'd just fall into nothingness. Surely Amazon's licence only extends to the US, meaning Crunchyroll, Viewster, Daisuke, etc, could snap up the UK rights?
I believe the implication is that someone else has the UK rights and is unwilling/unable to use them as they won't/can't put them on Crunchyroll/FunimationNow so they'd rather/need wait until Anime Strike is available in the UK.

Let us try to isolate the silver lining around this cloud.
Everyone is complaining that too much anime is being produced each season. Thanks to the abyss that is Anime Strike, the number seems far more reasonable all of a sudden!
I've certainly never made that complaint. And always understood those who did were implying that the Japanese side was producing too much of the stuff for their own market to be sustainable (based on a grand sum of zero evidence), not that we were getting too much of it.

I believe the implication is that someone else has the UK rights and is unwilling/unable to use them as they won't/can't put them on Crunchyroll/FunimationNow so they'd rather/need wait until Anime Strike is available in the UK.
Now don't be silly. It's not like there's someone whose sole mission in life is to take the distribution rights to Japanese animation released in HD, deny the streaming rights and try to sell the show in a format not optimal for that by badly compressing the show several times over on the basis of that apparently being the only business plan anyone taught them.

That would be like some sort of super jerk of some description.

A veritable manbearpig of customer antagonism and poor business practices propped up by a Japanese company that has its head shoved so far up its hindquarters as to make itself a quantum impossibility.

Some sort of Man who makes you say Ga in frustration, even.

I imagine the returns on a UK only stream are not good enough for that given it took Funi seveal years of shopping around before they threw their hands up and just did it themselves.

Last edited:
Because Crunchyroll doesn't care about us, Daisuki only gets titles from Japanese licensors and I assume Sentai holds them. So we're entirely reliant on Viewster.

I wouldn't hold my breath...

Why are we assuming that Amazon only holds US rights anyway? Chances are that they actually hold the English language rights to most if not all of these series.

And I wouldn't put it past them to have snapped up worldwide rights, just to make it more "exclusive". And possibly to give them more on offer when Amazon decides to buy the souls of more countries' populations.

Why are we assuming that Amazon only holds US rights anyway? Chances are that they actually hold the English language rights to most if not all of these series.

And I wouldn't put it past them to have snapped up worldwide rights, just to make it more "exclusive". And possibly to give them more on offer when Amazon decides to buy the souls of more countries' populations.
Because everything else they've had English-language rights to has appeared on Amazon UK, regardless of Anime Strike. So given these titles haven't, the assumption would be Amazon doesn't hold the rights.

Plus Prime Video is already available worldwide. I'm not sure they could "buy the souls of more countries' populations". Your personal biases do not make any sense here.

Because everything else they've had English-language rights to has appeared on Amazon UK, regardless of Anime Strike. So given these titles haven't, the assumption would be Amazon doesn't hold the rights.

Plus Prime Video is already available worldwide.

Unless Amazon is planning on introducing Anime Strike elsewhere. And the fact that most of these licenses are in partnership with Sentai, yet Canada doesn't get the titles either, strongly suggests that they do hold the license, or at least are blocking the license, to other regions.

And I hadn't realised that Amazon Video was available in more countries than Amazon itself (although not quite worldwide).

Last edited:
Unless Amazon is planning on introducing Anime Strike elsewhere. And the fact that most of these licenses are in partnership with Sentai, yet Canada doesn't get the titles either, strongly suggests that they do hold the license, or at least are blocking the license, to other regions.

And I hadn't realised that Amazon Video was available in more countries than Amazon itself (although not quite worldwide).
Not really, they could have just purchased US rights without Canada if they were so inclined. If they wanted the titles specifically for their Anime Strike service, it's quite plausible they didn't buy other territories, because it won't be launching there.

And Anime Strike won't be launching in the UK anytime soon, Jerome has been complaining about it on Twitter.

In other news, still 10 ? boxes on CR.

Assuming there are no more added, my predictions of the titles:
SukaSuka
Eromanga-sensei
Nobunaga no Shinobi
Uchouten Kazoku 2
Room Mate
Clockwork Planet
Sin: Nanatsu no Taizai
Natsume Yuujinchou Roku
Hinako Note
Kenka Banchou Otome: Girl Beats Boys

Though a latecast of Love Kome would be possible (all its online streams in Japan are starting on the 8th)

Back