Legal Streaming 2017: Q2 Spring season | Stream Wars: The Amazon Strikes Back

Netflix | New Addition [Simulcast for Future Seasons]

C7z6AAhVAAA-MaD.jpg

Fate/Apocrypha
It's been announced that Netflix will be taking exclusive streaming rights for this series. The show will be airing in Japan this Summer.

Viewster | Expired [It Just Happens]

The following have disappeared from the service:
  • A Bridge to the Starry Skies (Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi) - Available on Crunchyroll
  • The Everyday Tales of a Cat God (Nekogami Yaoyorozu) - Available on Crunchyroll
  • Myself ; Yourself - Available on Crunchyroll
  • School Days - Available on Crunchyroll

Amazon Prime | Potential New Additions [Simulcast]

Two more titles may be exclusive to Amazon Prime also, just waiting for more info down the line.

Re:Creators
The upcoming show from the same author behind Black Lagoon and produced by Aniplex. The JP site lists Amazon Prime as the exclusive streaming service.

Sakura Quest
The upcoming show from P.A. Works. Amazon Prime is listed.

Amazon Prime | New Addition with Region Confirmation Later [Simulcast]

tumblr_noiqrrrKLk1unbsixo1_500.gif

Sword Oratoria: Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side (Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria)
The spin-off series for the DanMachi franchise has been acquired by Sentai Filmworks. The distributor has confirmed simulcast plans for Amazon Prime's Anime Strike service in North America. Regions are unknown for everywhere else.

Crunchyroll
| New Addition (Region Confirmation Revealed) [Simulcast]

844ea2ee703b522c36a5d127dab5fc9d1490287458_full.png

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations
The next instalment in the Naruto saga covering Boruto will be streaming for territories worldwide outside Japan, however French territories will be Premium access only with no support for French subtitles.

ce1b4d8895d3fcba281b28b9774cbf051490307880_full.png

Love Tyrant
The show will be simulcasting on Crunchyroll for the United Kingdom alongside territories worldwide outside Asia.

Last edited:
Really annoyed about the DanMachi spin-off being with Amazon, I really hope CR have it here or I see some major complaining in my future. Between it and suspected Sakura Quest I am very put off with this amazon nonsense. >_>

I wouldn't mind so much if it was normal amazon prime, but I forgot all about their extra anime subscription service that is on top of Amazon Prime!

Really annoyed about the DanMachi spin-off being with Amazon, I really hope CR have it here or I see some major complaining in my future. Between it and suspected Sakura Quest I am very put off with this amazon nonsense. >_>
Doubt it, Amazon have it exclusively in the US. Seems Sentai are trying to punish Crunchyroll for teaming with Funi, all they are doing though is punishing their customers by putting one of the most anticipated shows of the season behind a double paywall.

Doubt it, Amazon have it exclusively in the US. Seems Sentai are trying to punish Crunchyroll for teaming with Funi, all they are doing though is punishing their customers by putting one of the most anticipated shows of the season behind a double paywall.

I dunno, there was something Amazon had last season for America that eventually CR got for Europe so it's still possible we'll be okay.

Sigh, splitting everything up to a bunch of different services just doesn't work for me, I can't help thinking it'll just lead to more pirating. The Danmachi spin off is one of my most anticipated show's of the season & I want to support it legally.

Equally, having everything on one service is bad for anime, it reduces competition and effectively lets CR pay whatever they want for titles. As well as reducing incentive for them to improve. (Since the CR/Funi hookup, their servers have crapped out, they tried to cut bitrates, it's hard to deny they aren't trying to use their monopoly to worsen their service.)

As bad as it may be for us, a more competitive Amazon is good for anime as a whole.

I would support Amazon doing this if they took anime seriously enough to do it properly. It's at least better than Animax.

However, £79 per year (plus a premium in the US) is hugely overpriced for what might be one show per season at best a person actually wants to see. All it does is make Crunchyroll seem even better value. I could afford it if I wanted, but I could just spend that £79 on something else - and that's what I'll be doing until they get their act together. If it had worked the way I thought the anime service in the US was going to work, I might seriously have subscribed.

What would be the absolute best for customers would be companies putting their shows on both services and letting the quality of the service compete for viewers, not locking things away as exclusives to benefit distributors and distributors alone.

R

I would support Amazon doing this if they took anime seriously enough to do it properly. It's at least better than Animax.

However, £79 per year (plus a premium in the US) is hugely overpriced for what might be one show per season at best a person actually wants to see. All it does is make Crunchyroll seem even better value. I could afford it if I wanted, but I could just spend that £79 on something else - and that's what I'll be doing until they get their act together. If it had worked the way I thought the anime service in the US was going to work, I might seriously have subscribed.

What would be the absolute best for customers would be companies putting their shows on both services and letting the quality of the service compete for viewers, not locking things away as exclusives to benefit distributors and distributors alone.

R
You can now pay monthly, it's £6 a month and everything Amazon has UK rights for should just be available on standard Prime for us. (We don't have channels, so it won't be locked up behind their additional service.) I'm given to understand Prime is much more widespread in the US than the UK, so it may not be the hardship on them that it is to us.

Amazon has shared simulcast rights in the US (Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Arc was shared with Crunchyroll), so it might not be a disaster just yet.

Back