Legal Streaming 2017: Q1 Winter season | Twice the Explosions

Funimation Now is dub-focused these days so their new stuff goes on Crunchyroll while they publish 'simuldubs' of new titles (plus their older stuff, which is gradually going to CR too as a very welcome experiment).

There are hardly any new series that Crunchyroll hasn't got for the UK though (excluding the Toei situation the only one this season which bothered me was Kiss Him, Not Me and we were supposed to be getting that too *clears throat in AL's direction sadly*). The main stuff which is locked out is either Toei (boo), Manganimatsu (boo), or an old title where either the licensor or licensee (usually the US one) screwed us over on the region restrictions. Over the last year or so Crunchyroll has been grabbing almost everything near-worldwide.

If you're into dubs, Funimation will be a good choice. If you're not then stick with Crunchyroll as you'll get more choice that way.

R

Thanks Rui. I'm not too fussed about dubs. I'm more into older anime though so I was a bit disappointed to see an almost complete lack of it on Crunchyroll, if anything I'd expected that to be easier to acquire. It sounds like CR is taking a step in the right direction though.

(excluding the Toei situation the only one this season which bothered me was Kiss Him, Not Me and we were supposed to be getting that too *clears throat in AL's direction sadly*)

I brought this up to him back at MCM Birmingham. He said that Anime Ltd have done the paperwork and Crunchyroll are the ones delaying us.

Thanks Rui. I'm not too fussed about dubs. I'm more into older anime though so I was a bit disappointed to see an almost complete lack of it on Crunchyroll, if anything I'd expected that to be easier to acquire. It sounds like CR is taking a step in the right direction though.

The older stuff is locked up quite badly, unfortunately - either the streaming rights are with the UK distributors and nobody can touch them, or with US distributors who don't deal with the UK, or (worse) they're with a JP company who thinks the UK company will buy the rights, except they won't, so they're stuck in limbo forever with nobody wanting to make the first move and risk losing out on a contract that will never happen. Some are on Animax UK, though their service is awful and I really wouldn't recommend going that way. Even though Jerome hates it, the new system where Crunchyroll grabs everything they can is much better for fans; let the local distributors sort their share out later instead of adding even more complications and locking us out of stuff.

I brought this up to him back at MCM Birmingham. He said that Anime Ltd have done the paperwork and Crunchyroll are the ones delaying us.

Thanks; I don't mean to be stroppy but at this point it's no longer a simulcast so unless they can get the whole thing up in the next three days I'm boycotting it. Can't have one rule for one company and a different one for the others in my one-man war against stupid regional restrictions.

No UK simulcast, no UK purchase. It's up to our local companies to avoid this situation, since I don't have the power to fix it myself.

R

In fairness to Anime Limited, Andrew did point us toward Crunchyroll when questioned about the absence of Kiss Him, Not Me; so I just assumed it was their issue and not something with AL. I do agree I am very disappointed that it hasn't shown up on CR yet though, as if it wasn't for me 'flying to the US' for it I just simply wouldn't have watched it because I don't watch anime released in big chunks like that. >_>

The problem is, if I go to Crunchyroll and say 'Hey, I wanna watch ____' as an individual they will just ignore me. The changes have to come from the license-holders, and while I am willing to accept that the delay is Crunchyroll's fault they have the files and subs to hand already and literally only need to add us to the regional whitelist if everyone is as we're being told. If it's affecting AL's reputation and income (because they aren't getting any streaming revenue off the license the way things are!) then it's AL who need to chase the issue through. I'll most likely boycott it worldwide as I can't be bothered with series I've never seen, but if it was a title I actually loved already I'd be preordering from another country the moment the physical releases appeared.

R

Well I finally gave in and got crunchyroll as it has a 14 day free trial and I figured it might save me some money only buying anime I actually really enjoy :p. First impressions aren't amazing, there's a poor selection for the UK & at 1080p the quality degrades rapidly in fast moving screens.

This list makes for depressing reading when I see all the stuff that would interest me but isn't available to the UK. I know I could vpn but I won't pay extra to do that and that means waiting in queues (fake ones in the case of cyberghost.)

Is funimation now a better choice than Crunchyroll nowadays?
I'm not sure how specific I'm allowed to be about this (so apologies if I cross the line). You don't need to keep your VPN on. As soon as you see a list of US titles, you can turn it off, and for the remainder of the session you should be able to access them.

Worth mentioning that whilst using a VPN or IP spoofing isn't against the law. It is against CR's TOS, and its possible they may punish you however tyhey see fit.

subbed to crunchyroll, my backlog is immense already :/

Any idea when the Winter 2017 simulcasts get announced? Who do we expect will get Blue Exorcist?

subbed to crunchyroll, my backlog is immense already :/

Any idea when the Winter 2017 simulcasts get announced? Who do we expect will get Blue Exorcist?

Already started actually with Chain Chronicle but we should expect the next set sometime after New Years I suppose (or heck possibly next week).

Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga has already been acquired by Aniplex of America so Crunchyroll is expected to stream it. However the first season was not streamable for the UK on Crunchyroll so there is a slight possibility it could occur this time around.

Crunchyroll x Funimation | Simulcast | Region Restricted

4e06585c12dd352d0e4317a1f4d17e541482349665_full.jpg

Koro-sensei Quest!
Crunchyroll Regions: United States & Canada
Funimation Regions: United States & Canada
Note: No formal announcement for regions. Simulcast appeared with no access for our zone.

Last edited:
Doesnt look like UK streams available :(

Why would they get UK rights to the main series, but not the spin-off? How ruddy stupid. I hope AL beat them to the punch and it doesn't linger in licencing hell.

Kinda pissed off I won't be able to watch without alternate means. I was looking forward to it, and I don't haveaccess to said means for a while.

Crunchyroll x Funimation | Catalogue Additions

A Certain Magical Index II
A Certain Scientific Railgun S
Black Butler: Book of Circus (I don't believe this was available in the US only Crunchyroll before but it is now)
Is this a Zombie
Karneval

(no official post for this so no-idea of the regions, however, I can probably safely assume that the only one available in the UK is Karneval

Last edited:
I've checked each of the titles and only Karneval has shown up for the UK (we already had access to Book of Circus so I have discounted that one).

Daisuki | Expiring Soon (December 31st)

Kuroko's Basketball
All three seasons will be delisted from Daisuki. Don't worry, you can still view the show over on Crunchyroll.

Last edited:
Netflix | Expiring Soon (January 2nd)

As a reminder, the following will be delisted from Netflix UK:
  • Attack on Titan
  • Black Butler
  • Blue Exorcist
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • High School of the Dead
  • Psycho Pass

YouTube | Simulcast | New Addition

Gravity Rush: The Animation - Overture
The mini anime adaptation that fills the gaps between Gravity Rush and Gravity Rush 2 from studio Khara (Rebuild of Evangelion, Animator Expo) is now available to watch on the PlayStation YouTube channel.

Back