Jonathan Ross' documentary series Japanorama gets 2nd season

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
A second season of Jonathan Ross' Japanophile documentary series Japanorama is currently being produced by the BBC and set to air during Autumn 2006.

Japanorama provides a detailed and funny look at Japan's ever fanscinating pop culture, obviously presented by popular English comedian Jonathan Ross. The first season featured interviews with legendary anime directors like Hayao Miyazaki and Mamoru Oshii, as well as talks with fan favourite live action directors including Takeshi Miike and Ryuhei Kitamura.

Really looking forward to this... Jonathan Ross has good taste and is evidently a really big fan of Eastern cinema.

The man introduced me to this movie called Ping-Pong, which has since become my favourite live action Japanese movie. Its like a Shounen Jump anime, but live action...

Thats good to hear..i remember seeing the one with hayao miyazaki and mamoru Oshii. would be great to see it and i agree that he seems to havae good taste..would be good to see what he adds to the new season of the show

Jonathon Woss is a legend, his chat show is brilliant and this show (even though I didnt see the first load) looks set to be good.

Excellent...I missed the earlier episodes so look forward to his views on how the industry and public rececption has changed.
As much as his controversial presentation style has viewers' opinions divided (myself included) he really cares about the subject and enjoys exploring and discussing it. This ought to be worth tuning in for.

Damn I haven't even seen the first season, but will definately keep an eye out for this. Is it a look at the whole culture in general or do they look at one aspect of it per episode?

Good news, I'm hoping for 2 improvements though:

1 - It'll be more than just 3 parts this time.

2 - The there'll be more accompanying films so we can actually see some of the films he's talking about. (anyone remember Calamari Wrestler? :) )

Paul said:
he man introduced me to this movie called Ping-Pong, which has since become my favourite live action Japanese movie. Its like a Shounen Jump anime, but live action…
You do know it's based on a manga, don't you? It was in "Weekly Big Comic Spirits", not something as famous as Shônen Jump, and the live-action film is the only known adaptation.

I never watched the first series (didn't even know about it).

I hope they repeat the first series, jsut for the interviews with Hayao Miyazaki, Mamoru Oshii and Takeshi Miike (his films are very interesting watches).

Thats awesome, i will look forward to watching this, i know the last one opened my eyes to a few films i hadn't considered, and Jonathan Ross is great

Watched the first series with interest because his facts aren't always right. I can just about remember Mr Ross doing a one off look at Anime in '95 or 96 (I Think) and because Manga Entertainment were just about the only mainstream UK label at the time, JR incorrectly labeled Anime, Manga. Tut, tut Mr Ross but forgivable.

In the last series I loved the look at GitS 2 and his interview with Mamoru Oshii, but again was put off by the fact that Masamune Shirow was not mentioned once :( It'd be like talking about the Harry Potter films and never mentioning JK Rowling....

Still, I'm looking forward to the next series as I am a JR fan.

Mr B said:
...and because Manga Entertainment were just about the only mainstream UK label at the time, JR incorrectly labeled Anime, Manga. Tut, tut Mr Ross but forgivable.

I have to confess I was guilty of this back around then. But hey, I know there are a lot of other people (some who adore animè and manga to very passionette levels now) who made the same mistake. Thought I'd share that.

And I'm looking forward to this series. Quite like Jonathan Ross. :)

Hovis! said:
Mr B said:
...and because Manga Entertainment were just about the only mainstream UK label at the time, JR incorrectly labeled Anime, Manga. Tut, tut Mr Ross but forgivable.

I have to confess I was guilty of this back around then. But hey, I know there are a lot of other people (some who adore animè and manga to very passionette levels now) who made the same mistake. Thought I'd share that.

I'm not sure whether this is a general HMV mistake, or limited to the particular branch, but HMV in Cheltenham has all it's anime DVD's listed under a section called Manga...tut, tut!

I loved the series first time round glad its making a come back. now i just hope adam and joe go tokyo comes back! oh and Saiko exciting! God Sarah Backhouse was great!

pazza said:
Hovis! said:
Mr B said:

I'm not sure whether this is a general HMV mistake, or limited to the particular branch, but HMV in Cheltenham has all it's anime DVD's listed under a section called Manga...tut, tut!
It's a common mislabelling. They it right every now and then but very quickly backslide (probably because some fool asks where the manga section has gone...)

Back