Jonathan Ross' documentary series Japanorama gets 2nd season

i catched the repeat last night, and umm...yeaaahhh.
imo it wasn't all that. it was ''interesting'' and it was full of randomness.
still gonna check out the other eps to see how it is.

I was sure I was going to come on these boards and see loads of outcrys of Jonathan Ross stereotyping the anime community, but I was wrong!

Anyway, what did you think of the last episode?

Espy said:
I was sure I was going to come on these boards and see loads of outcrys of Jonathan Ross stereotyping the anime community, but I was wrong!
I didn't see the Otaku epsiode. I'm assume it wasn't that bad then? None of "This is your typical anime fan" *cuts to a large guy in a cardcapter sakura t-shirt stood at a doll collecting stand*.

It did show quite a few of the extremes of Otaku culture, but it didn't say ALL ANIME FANS ARE LIKE THIS.

Mind you, it didn't not say it... people may assume things. I dunno.

Anyway, it's repeated tonight and a few times through the week, I think. At increasingly late hours.

Turtleheart said:
The manga and novel are being published there as well, probably before the end of this year.
Viz and Del Rey are both publishing different versions of the Train Man manga. There are about 4 different manga based upon it in all, I think.

Really loved this weeks Otaku episode (although idol bit with the little girls made them look a bit creepy). Ross was on form and very funny, especially the bit with the condom. I would have thought the designs would have been on the condom too, instead of the boring plain one.

Watching that ep. made me wanna go to Tokyo even more so many places I wanna shop in

I couldn't see this week's ep. on Thursday because I had to get up early to do something at university, and either it started earlier this week or Friday Night with Jonathan Ross ended later, because I managed to miss the fist few minutes of it. What I did see wasn't quite what I expected - although it mentioned manga and animé in passing a few times, it was not as much about otaku as it was just about the concept of moé. It seemed to give off the idea that otaku are, by definition, unattractive bespectacled men who are obsessed with the sweetness of teenage girls and see no reason to ever get a real girlfriend when pseudo-love is so readily available. Although this certainly the current trend with otaku, it is relatively a very recent one, and otaku are defined not as much by what they like but more by their reasons for liking it and by the issue of weather what they like is socially acceptable or not. The issue of weather this was intended to be a serious and damming portrayal of a social cult was thoroughly rebuffed by the explanation that the presenter is also an otaku, and only disguised as a normal person through the use of contact lenses and reconstructive surgery.

If there is anything which is offensive to anyone, it is the unforgivable use of EuroTrash-style overdubs rather than subtitles. This not only lowers the tone of the whole programme but makes it much harder to understand anything that anyone is saying, and utterly impossible to make out any of the original speech. Of less importance, but a bit disorientating for me was the somewhat random way that it probed some obscure aspects and ignored others. For example, how it featured the relatively unknown and upcoming Akihabara48 without mentioning their obvious resemblance to the supergroup Morning Musume. But as before, it managed to point several things I might never have noticed otherwise - I had no idea that moé could be used as an interjection, and while thinking about the programme in the morning afterwards I was suddenly struck by the similarities between the current "otaku pride" movement and the homosexual and feminist movements of the western world in the 1960s. And for me, any injustices were worth sitting through for 2 things: (1) the Mizuno-style animations, of which about half were all new this week and on a whole other level of laugh-out-loud delight; and (2) the appearance, however brief, of that female blogger who dated a male otaku that and referred to him as #49. It could have been just 29 or 39, and all I can remember of her pseudonym is that it beings with an A and was taken from a Gundam character, so for now I'll call her Arisa.

The only reason I've been grumpy enough to write this whole essay on it is that I'm trying in vain to earn forgiveness from myself for not watching it on Thursday as well. It's surprising how quickly hearing & seeing Kiyoshi Hikawa chopped up with animé clips can become the highlight of my week, and I was so excited at seeing Cardcaptor Sakura models and Arisa that I barely noticed anything that was being said. It may have just been a mistranslation, but I seem to remember her talking about him not as her boyfriend, but as her husband - so did she have a wedding dress inspired by a mecha, as mentioned in the interview I read over a year ago? I'd like to see the pictures… But knowing her, she's not the sort of person who would make them public.

Turtleheart said:
If there is anything which is offensive to anyone, it is the unforgivable use of EuroTrash-style overdubs rather than subtitles. This not only lowers the tone of the whole programme but makes it much harder to understand anything that anyone is saying, and utterly impossible to make out any of the original speech.

Totally agree there - it is pretty tacky and cringeworthy.

I was personaly disappointed with most of the Otaku show. Seemed to brush over too many subjects in one episode without exploring them further.

And why do they feel they have to shoe-horn a band called 'The Magic Numbers' in to the show? As well as sounding crap, they have no relevance at all to anything! I lost interest after that point... :(

The Magic Numbers annoy me, as it doesn't seem like they have any real interest in Japan. It seems to me like someone at BBC thought "Look, they're going to Japan, let's send a cameraman with them. It'll fill up three minutes of the show."

Back