Japan not best pleased by Brexit

The Repeal Bill will be voted on today in parliament. If passed (which looks likely), it will grant monarch level power to government with no parliamentary scrutiny

Japan's largest bank employs more than 2,000 people at its European investment banking head office in London, with sources saying that the British unit would continue to function as headquarters for Europe, the Middle East and Africa. There opening up a branch in Europe just In case we don't get a deal, a few American banks did the same thing a few weeks after brexit.

The headquarters (which is where the big money is) will stay in London, and if they did move then it will be to Hong Kong or New York .

Last edited:
You could actually engage with me. In the previous thread I let my emotions about this matter get the better of me. I've tried to avoid that this time based on what was said last time but thus far the thread has generally been snarky digs at my expense. If you don't really have an argument, might I kindly ask you just ignore the thread? You're only making yourself look immature by acting in this way.

You could actually engage with me. In the previous thread I let my emotions about this matter get the better of me. I've tried to avoid that this time based on what was said last time but thus far the thread has generally been snarky digs at my expense. If you don't really have an argument, might I kindly ask you just ignore the thread? You're only making yourself look immature by acting in this way.
The trouble is that everywhere you look now you get people making claims and predictions on the future of the country and really nobody knows for certain what will happen so it all equates to scaremongering leading to distrust and disbelief. Just let whatever happens happen and then deal with it accordingly. Also if I come across as immature it's actually an attempt to not feel my age....working so far.

Except I've been actively doing research on this for the past year and am trying to pass on relevant info. So when in response I get comments like "Uh oh, this thread again..." or claims I'm "talking out of my ****" it's just abusive and says more about the people saying that than me.

People can disagree with me and they clearly do but at a certain point it's just better for both sides if they ignore the thread outright.

Only other thing I will say- this notion that no one knows what will happen is ridiculous. This isn't a football match, it's a political negotiation and one Britain is grossly unprepared for. Case in point, a government planning to leave the customs union is doing nothing to expand the infrastructure nightmare that will cause on shipments at Dover.

It's not a pleasant thing to have to wade through but if you do the work a clear idea of where we're headed is obvious and it's beyond patronizing that in discussing it here gets just shrugs and heckles.

Except I've been actively doing research on this for the past year and am trying to pass on relevant info
some research you scour the web looking for bias pro remain articles

So when in response I get comments like "Uh oh, this thread again..." or claims I'm "talking out of my ****" it's just abusive and says more about the people saying that than me.
people disagreeing with you isn't abuse.

Only other thing I will say- this notion that no one knows what will happen is ridiculous. This isn't a football match, it's a political negotiation and one Britain is grossly unprepared for. Case in point, a government planning to leave the customs union is doing nothing to expand the infrastructure nightmare that will cause on shipments at Dover.
The government is actually preparing, just because you don't read about it in your pro remain articles doesn't make it any less so. And your purposely failing to mention the transitional period which is plenty of time to set up infrastructure.

Well. with BoJo wheeling out the £350 million for the NHS bus again this weekend, I submit that the government is handling Brexit with Trumpian levels of incompetence.
How dare you insult this great man
boris-johnson-zip-wire.jpg

But in all seriousness it's the people in the background who are doing all the work not the fool's who make the front of the papers.

If I wanted to present only bias pro Remain articles, I'd just link the multiple "Brexit can be stopped if a hen farts at 11:07 am next Thursday!" the Guardian has offered

UK and EU firms to urge faster Brexit deal
The EU is even loosening support from there own businesses

Hardly "losing support" (I assume that's what you mean). Confidence with regards to the future is a top priority for business, and always has been.

"Urging a faster deal" (yes, I know this is the BBC's wording, not yours) is also a potentially misleading representation of the contents of the letter. What they are calling for is an end to uncertainty, which would be helped by things being agreed on faster. "Urging a faster deal" makes it sound a bit like they're pushing for Brexit to happen faster, or that they are pushing for things to be resolved ASAP no matter the costs, neither of which is the case.

Likewise, the letter doesn't favour either side in the negotiations, and nor does its criticism focus on either side. Britain's unpreparedness for the negotiations is at least as much a drag on the progress of the negotiations as the EU's determination to operate to its proposed schedule.

However, the one thing it does come out in favour of is
a successful new economic partnership between the UK and the EU, based on the principles of barrier-free trade
In other words, not the deal the UK government has been pushing for.

And the one thing it actively labels a "risk" is the prospect of "no deal". And who are the only ones who have made statements indicating that "no deal" could be something they might actually aim for? Theresa May and a handful of Brexit hardliners.

Cough...Cough...Cough...Financial Times

I haven't read the FT since late last year but unless it has changed its tune radically since then it is nothing like you are presenting it. It's position was very much "Brexit is economically a bad thing therefore we will take an editorial position that is opposed to it", rather than the "we hate Brexit therefore we must try to come up with stories that portray it in a bad light even if we have to write misleadingly in order to do so" that you are portraying it as. It's not some mirror image of the Daily Express.

And holding a particular position in an argument doesn't inherently make the claims a source does make any less valid.

Back