J-Rock/Pop any fans here?

Jimi-Jam said:
I'm yet to dip my toe into the world of J-music - pretty sure there's whole load of stuff there that will spark-up my ears in interest; I just need to hear it.

I listen to a lot of internet radio to find music that tickles my taste buds...don't suppose anyone knows of or can recommend any good internet radio shows/stations that feature J-music of any sort?

How do you all go about finding the stuff you like...youtube, myspace, trail-&-error CD buying, word of mouth...?

for me its trial and error CD/Song buying and word of mouth.If ive seen a lot of people mention a certain band or singer i usually check them out.

Jimi-Jam said:
I'm yet to dip my toe into the world of J-music - pretty sure there's whole load of stuff there that will spark-up my ears in interest; I just need to hear it.

I listen to a lot of internet radio to find music that tickles my taste buds...don't suppose anyone knows of or can recommend any good internet radio shows/stations that feature J-music of any sort?

How do you all go about finding the stuff you like...youtube, myspace, trail-&-error CD buying, word of mouth...?

As has been said above, I normally check out other bands that have been mentioned. I first started by researching the singers of anime Ops and Eds I liked, checking out there other songs along the way. After that I was hooked. I hardly listen to any English music now a days.

First time I came across Japanese music was end of 2005, myspace. Searched for hardcore music from Japan... BAM, Dir en Grey, after that it was Gackt, L'arc~en~Ciel, etc. I also discussed J-rock with some contacts on my MSN and we swapped music, it's how I got into Malice Mizer and Moi Dix Mois, giving someone Dir en Grey and DespairsRay for their songs.

Trashbat, Rolling Star, Lupus Inu - thx for your responses :D

I feared that I might have to put some work into it :?
Had hoped that I could more passively let my ears do the work listening to a radio station or such like - something I could do whilst I work at my PC. Looks like I’ll have to dedicate some time to searching around instead.

So…can any of you name a few bands to get me rolling?

I’m not too bothered about anything a bit too pop or commercial sounding, generally like stuff with some edge to it, bit more challenging to listen to perhaps. I can take it as heavy as it comes but its not a requirement – I also like music that has some subtlety, atmosphere, more melodic even. Probably appreciate anything with good musicianship.

Thx in advance.

Try - UVERworld, the Gazette and Ayumi Hamasaki.

One popular band, one visual kei-esque band and one female pop singer. =o

I am now the proud owner of the 'Full Metal Alchemist - Complete Best' soundtrack which has lots of my favourite J-ROCK artists on it.

Very hard to resist jumping around...

M.G xx

Jimi-Jam said:
Trashbat, Rolling Star, Lupus Inu - thx for your responses :D

I feared that I might have to put some work into it :?
Had hoped that I could more passively let my ears do the work listening to a radio station or such like - something I could do whilst I work at my PC. Looks like I’ll have to dedicate some time to searching around instead.

So…can any of you name a few bands to get me rolling?

I’m not too bothered about anything a bit too pop or commercial sounding, generally like stuff with some edge to it, bit more challenging to listen to perhaps. I can take it as heavy as it comes but its not a requirement – I also like music that has some subtlety, atmosphere, more melodic even. Probably appreciate anything with good musicianship.

Thx in advance.

righto,i suggest checking these out:

Dir En Grey,Malice Mizer,Gackt,X Japan,Luna Sea,L'Arc En Ciel,Gaxette,Miyavi,Moi Dix Mois,Déspairsray,Asian Kung Fu Generation,Shonen Knife,Alice Nine,Hyde,Iceman,Electrio Eel Shock,Balzac and....well theres probably more heh :?

Asian Kung-Fu Generation, would be my favourite J-Rock band, but the past month or so, all my favourite, British and American bands have started releasing their new stuff so Ive not really be listening to it as much.

TRASHBAT said:
righto,i suggest checking these out:

Dir En Grey,Malice Mizer,Gackt,X Japan,Luna Sea,L'Arc En Ciel,Gaxette,Miyavi,Moi Dix Mois,Déspairsray,Asian Kung Fu Generation,Shonen Knife,Alice Nine,Hyde,Iceman,Electrio Eel Shock,Balzac and....well theres probably more heh :?
:shock:...Now there's a homework list for me! Lol.
I've yet to check out Lupus Inu's suggestions - must get my act together!

Thx both anyway :)

Lately I've been listening to mostly JRock.

Maximum The Hormone and Onmyouza

I listen to other Jrock bands/artists like Asagi,D, Gackt

I think thats it. I don't listen to JPop as much as I used to.

Back