J-Rock/Pop any fans here?

Jesus, I missed this thread. Dir en Grey's best album is probably Vulgar, can't go wrong with Vulgar, Withering Death's Saku is really awesome too, and their latest album The marrow of a Bone is ok, I guess. Though I'm more of a Visual Kei guy than the usual UVERworld, AKFG and Orange Range, I really like Moi Dix Mois, Malice Mizer, Kagrra, the Gazette, Madeth Gray'll, the Pumpkin Head, Nightmare, X Japan, Phantasmagoria, and many more scary J-rock. =O
Though I do like HaMC, but I'm sort of losing interest, San and their second album I really didn't like too much. T.M. Revolution I like too, and the obvious L'arc~en~Ciel, along with Gackt, Ayumi Hamasaki, Nami Tamaki, Folder5, FLOW, YUI, HYDE, Iceman, Miyavi etc. Let's just call it quits and say I'm a J-music fanatic. =X
EDIT: Gah! MCM and DespairsRay too, how could I forget them. X_X I really despise An Café they have really crappy vocals.

Which one? Orange Range does Asterix, UVERworld does D-tecnolife, High and Mighty Color did Ichirin no Hana, the Beat Crusaders did Tonight, Tonight, Tonight and YUI did Rolling start which is currently airing.

Lupus Inu said:
Which one? Orange Range does Asterix, UVERworld does D-tecnolife, High and Mighty Color did Ichirin no Hana, the Beat Crusaders did Tonight, Tonight, Tonight and YUI did Rolling start which is currently airing.

I dont realy know Ill probably listen to them all and pick out my favorite

Trying to track down some albums but can't decide to buy them now or wait for Minami con and see if they are for sale there

Lupus Inu,

Wow! You are really into your J-Rock. I'm impressed. I'm into Visual Kei too, only have one Malice Mizer album yet. It's like nothing I've ever heard. Am a bit of a HYDE fangirl for the obvious reasons...

M.G xx

Manga Girls said:
Lupus Inu,

Wow! You are really into your J-Rock. I'm impressed. I'm into Visual Kei too, only have one Malice Mizer album yet. It's like nothing I've ever heard. Am a bit of a HYDE fangirl for the obvious reasons...

M.G xx

mmmmm HYDE ..... :D

HYDE's awesome, I really loved that song of his "Midnight Celebration," Season's Call was quite nice too. Which Malice Mizer album do you have, M.G? Is it part of Gackt's era or Klaha's? Gackt got Malice Mizer quite the fame, really attracting people, although their style really changed.

Hiya Lupus Inu & TRASHBAT

LOL! :D HYDE fan girls/boys of the world unite! :wink:

What did you make of the Faith album?

I have the Merveilles album. It starts off being quite dark and moody but then it changes and gets quite poppy! I was surprised by that. I think this is Gakt era M.M. Even the pictures in the album sleeve are cool. Normally on first seeing that kind of style I would laugh, but it was so elegantly done that I was impressed. (My inner critic was quickly silenced...)

So which other albums would you recommend? I'm planning on buying more cd's from the States.

Also, you might know the answer to this - but why did Gakt leave M.M anyway?

M.G xx

If I remember correctly from what I've read he was asked to leave the band, but it was never officially stated why he left, it could've been anything.

Manga Girls said:
Lupus Inu,

How mysterious... I wonder why...?

*cue many possible conspiracy theories*

M.G xx

McIcy - No fair, I want a J- pop ringtone too!

Havent updated my ringtones in ages, downside is the risk that hearing the same tracks over and over again when people ring me will make me hate it. Which is what happened to the previous Panic At The Disco track

Manga Girls said:
Also, you might know the answer to this - but why did Gakt leave M.M anyway?

M.G xx

The reason is told in his Autobi, Aha! It rymes XP, Shortly after the debut of the last Gackt-era song Le Ciel, he was called to a meeting with the other members and there 'big boss'. Mana and Kozi where not happy that Gackt had written the Lyrics and the music for the song. They told him that they felt they could not work with him anymore and that they had decided to dispand the band.
Gackt told them that he would leave, but even so, he wanted Malice Mizer to carry on without him. After further discussion one of them made a comment about the fans. Gackt was angry about this and so left the room in a rage never to return.

I'm a huge Gackt and M.M fan cX

<b>EDIT</b> Quote from his Autobi:
If I think about it now, the cause of Malice Mizer's breakup was my own individualism and self-confidence, and the widening difference between things that the other members were concerned about .
The first time our relations became strange was when the performance at the Yokohama Arena was drawing near (July '98). The final straw was when I wrote the music to "Le Ciel." Until then, I was going to be the lyrics writer and either Mana or Kozi was going to write the music. "Le Ciel" was the first time I became a member that handled both the music and the lyrics. Among the members, I was the only one who kept doing more of these kinds of tasks, and I completely isolated myself.
When I was honest with myself, I was shocked. Within the members of the band, with it being me versus the other four members, we parted ways cordially. There was no mediator, and no one followed up on me.
Though I said, "shouldn't I have done what I did with 'Le Ciel?'" a short time later, I really wanted to go back to the band. But in the end, that didn't happen.

Then one day in 1998, around when the summer heat was beginning to cool [lit: when we were beginning to leave behind the summer heat], they called a members' meeting. Though usually at the meetings, only members attended, that day, when the appointed time came, all of the other members and the president of the office were all there and waiting for me.
"Why is the president at a members' meeting?" I asked. And someone answered, "because Malice Mizer is over."
Huh?
And right after I thought that, they said it.
"We can't work anymore with you."
In that instant, I didn't really feel anything much. So, I said that I would like Malice Mizer to continue even if I did quit. But the band's answer was, at any rate, just that they were unable to do that.
All right, everyone, I will say no more. I won't be obnoxious.
In this case, I couldn't say that. If this was the end, there was also a way to erase that. No matter what would happen at the end, could I shut the curtain in the face of the fans that have helped me along until now? That was the most important thing.
As I was saying these things, someone else started saying nasty things.
"Isn't it good enough that we put out a CD? We're selling copies, at least…"
At those words, I got angry.
"Don't joke around! Don't make fun of the fans!"
In my anger, I got up from my seat and left. The sadness that I felt even more than the anger was accounting for most of what I did. I was miserable.
That is the truth about my departure from Malice Mizer.
This is not a story for me to cast blame. It was a problem of suddenly having too much money. Of the band members' differences of conciousness. Of a driving obsession. Malice Mizer = what I once was = an anxiety that made me what I wasn't. There were things that weighed heavily on us, and they became a vicious circle and ended up hurting everyone.
There was no other way, back then…that is the only thing I can believe.

Anzu-butterfly

Thankyou for that. That was really insightful. Who knew that too much money can turn you into something that you're really not.

Sparkleness,

M.G xx

Manga Girls said:
Anzu-butterfly

Thankyou for that. That was really insightful. Who knew that too much money can turn you into something that you're really not.

Sparkleness,

M.G xx

Your very welcome, I was happy to help ^_^

I'm yet to dip my toe into the world of J-music - pretty sure there's whole load of stuff there that will spark-up my ears in interest; I just need to hear it.

I listen to a lot of internet radio to find music that tickles my taste buds...don't suppose anyone knows of or can recommend any good internet radio shows/stations that feature J-music of any sort?

How do you all go about finding the stuff you like...youtube, myspace, trail-&-error CD buying, word of mouth...?

Back