How to deal with anime haters?

I think quite a few of you have taken what I have said completely the wrong way!

I am not forcing her, I am simply introducing her to it, I am asking what you think the best way to do this is.

I know fair well that people are entitled to their own opinion, I have grown to accept that over three years of university life.

Paradox295 said:
This depends...

If they keep saying "lol u watch japaneez anime pr0nz" even when you haven't brought it up, then ignore it.

If you keep talking like "kawaii desu~" and talk about anime all the time, then stop it. They don't care and it makes the rest of us look bad.
You would probably punch someone in the face if they insisted you should care what happened to Cheryl Cole on X Factor, right?

Also, do we really want chavs talking about the latest chapter of One Piece?
Cult shows and genres should stay cult, IMO

Well to be honest, the more people buying anime in the west. The more money goes into the industry which means more anime can be brought to us.

ilmaestro said:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=racism

:p
The LGBT movement occurred to me before that, actually. I do think the issues are a bit too far apart from it to be dismissed in the same manner though. It's not like anime hating has a long and horrible history (okay well...).

Haha. :)

AnnaMay said:
I think quite a few of you have taken what I have said completely the wrong way!

I am not forcing her, I am simply introducing her to it, I am asking what you think the best way to do this is.
Don't. Just don't bother introducing her to it.
If you're watching Soul Eater or something and she looks interested, then tell her about the show. Otherwise, just drop the subject.
AnnaMay said:
Paradox295 said:
This depends...

If they keep saying "lol u watch japaneez anime pr0nz" even when you haven't brought it up, then ignore it.

If you keep talking like "kawaii desu~" and talk about anime all the time, then stop it. They don't care and it makes the rest of us look bad.
You would probably punch someone in the face if they insisted you should care what happened to Cheryl Cole on X Factor, right?

Also, do we really want chavs talking about the latest chapter of One Piece?
Cult shows and genres should stay cult, IMO

Well to be honest, the more people buying anime in the west. The more money goes into the industry which means more anime can be brought to us.
They have enough money, I wouldn't worry about shows that aren't licensed. For anime that isn't licensed, there's always CrunchyRoll or fansubs.

(And before you say "But that's illegal", it is, but the Animation Companies are fine with it. Haruhi Suzumiya was licensed because fansubbed episodes were popular)

ilmaestro said:
I would say more like "it's popular, now the fanbase sucks".

Tru dat y'all =P But I'm more worried about people getting into a fandom via a watered down live action hollywood version. (see that one Death Note script which came off as very Twilighty)

Paradox295 said:
(And before you say "But that's illegal", it is, but the Animation Companies are fine with it. Haruhi Suzumiya was licensed because fansubbed episodes were popular)[/i]

Please stop this line of thought right there. Haruhi was licensed because it was a massive property in its country of origin and most of the licensors and original anime creators regularly take swipes at "fan"subs. Many other series which were popular as illegal downloads turned out to sell like garbage. Popularity with people who won't part with money and popularity with supporters is not always the same thing.

Not to mention that it's a moot point now as most new stuff can be obtained perfectly legally in subtitled form. I imagine that the other big hits from the current season will be announced very soon for streaming if the OreImo idiocy hasn't ruined things.

R

Stop "introducing" them to anime. If you're trying to convert them into an anime fan you're doing things with the wrong attitude.

Like Paradox295 said, if they want to watch it, they'll ask you.

No one I know outright hate anime. They are just indifferent. However, my sister seem to be only interested in Ghost Hunt and Chrono Crusade because of supernatural stuff. My brother just likes Death Note and nothing else [he's waiting for me to get the Death Note Boxset and he enjoyed the Death Note films]. And my friend borrowed .hack and loved it, but haven't watch a single anime since.

But they seem to like the shows themselves... instead of watching it to get themselves eased into the anime media. Wheras with us, we seem to watch anime because it is simply anime we tend to identify as a genre rather than a media of its own alongside live-action and video-games.

AnnaMay said:

Going on my experience as a level 69 Paladin...

1278665887238.gif

That-Bastard-Bad-Guy-Aion said:
Going on my experience as a level 69 Paladin...

1278665887238.gif
I'm more disappointed at the girl not dodging that slap. His arm was so out-stretched, even animals would understand it's meaning.

OT: Anime haters - Abbusive haters = give them a reason to hate you.
Ignorant haters = I aint a priest, so I aint gonna preach christianity in your face. I aint the advertising staff of an anime company, so I aint gonna preach anime.

If anyone wants to talk to me about manga, then they'd approach me when I'm drawing my manga in public. If not, then it's not my loss, and I'm not concerned of theirs.

If you're gonna mention anime to them,keep it within topic and suggest it, but dont bother with anything else. Wastes your time and annoys them too.

memorium said:
to be honest, no one actually hates anime, they just misunderstand it

This is actually truer than I think you thought when you typed it. Most are scared off by the whole lolicon/school girl thing; not seeing the gems hidden underneath all of the tentacle rape.

...though, to be fair, it's hard not to misunderstand something when it has a title called 'Rapeman'; a series about a rapist anti-hero showing women the error of their ways with a good old-fashioned seeing to.

I personally find more entertainment in movies than anime today.

A lot of stuff, I mean a HUGE LOT is really garbage. Sure there are some really great ones too, but they're usually shadowed by the mainstream shounen stuff like Naruto and Bleach.

Forcing anyone to watch anime is a bad idea. If you do this, you're no more than an obsessive retard.

Yes, there are haters, and for good reasons. Don't even think one second about arguing with them about it. However, I think western animation has little merit as well with shows like American Dad and the old and tired Simpsons.

Back