Group Looking for donations to fund Anime R1 DVD release

Mutsumi said:
ilmaestro said:
Sounds like it would be a great idea to reduce the amount needed and not bother with the dub.

Without a dub, there is little motivation to buy rather than stick with the fansub.
So you might want to tell this to all the pro companies who release sub-only stuff?

ilmaestro said:
Mutsumi said:
ilmaestro said:
Sounds like it would be a great idea to reduce the amount needed and not bother with the dub.

Without a dub, there is little motivation to buy rather than stick with the fansub.
So you might want to tell this to all the pro companies who release sub-only stuff?

They sell to the Japanese market, and therefore have no need of an English dub. Only release outside of Japan I've yet bought without an English dub was the Lucky Star OAV, though I've heard one Gurren Lagann release was dubless. Skipping on a dub is just shoddy and cheap when you sell anime in an English speaking country.

What has been released in the US or UK without a dub then? Give me a big list, otherwise it is a negligible amount.

Mutsumi said:
What has been released in the US or UK without a dub then? Give me a big list, otherwise it is a negligible amount.
This is going to take a while:
tl;dr version: eveytyhing by Sentai so far, most of Bandi Ent's, Media Blasters', and Rightstuff's recent releases
The only company that still dubs on a regular basis is FUNimation.
Although Sentai are dubbing some of their sub only stuff, and recent anouncements have dubs.
From ones I can remember,

Sola
True Tears
Hayate No Gotoku
Kannagi
Asu no Yoichi!
Blue Drop: Tenshi-tachi no Gikyoku
Clannad
Clannad After Story
Ghost Hound
Gintama
Glass Mask
Hidamari Sketch
Hidamari Sketch × 365
Living for the Day After Tomorrow
Maria Holic
Neo Angelique Abyss
Neo Angelique Abyss -Second Age-
Princess Resurrection
S.A
Shinkyoku Sōkai Polyphonica
(The) Skull Man
Tayutama -Kiss on my Deity-
Tears to Tiara
To Love-Ru
You're Under Arrest Second Season
You're Under Arrest: Full Throttle
Yozakura Quartet
Dojin Work
Princess Princess
Aria The Origination
Junjō Romantica
Rental Magica

Just to add to your list:

.hack//GU Trilogy
Brighter Than the Dawning Blue
Dirty Pair
Emma
Eyeshield 21
Gakuen Alice
Gakuen Heaven
Galaxy Angel X (well, 2/3rds of it)
Gunbuster
Gurren Lagann Movies
Hell Girl Season 2 (and 3)
La Corda D'oro - Primo Passo
Loveless
Maria Watches Over Us
Otoboku
Persona
Shigofumi
Simoun
Toradora
Toward the Terra
Tytania

Those are just the ones off of my shelf (and ones I have ordered) that haven't been listed.

Are these sub-only releases a lower price than equivalent releases from the same publisher to account for the lower cost of making the release?

It varies sometimes. Usually a dubbed half season set now costs $60.

A sub only set tends to cost between $40 and $50. Higher end ones are usually for shows with extra packaging. (IE: Toradora and Nozomi's releases. Or extremely niche shows.)

Elaniel said:
It varies sometimes. Usually a dubbed half season set now costs $60.

A sub only set tends to cost between $40 and $50. Higher end ones are usually for shows with extra packaging. (IE: Toradora and Nozomi's releases. Or extremely niche shows.)

Wow, we must shop in totally different places. I'm used to picking up half-season sets with dubs for $30ish, $40 for special editions like the Naruto mininja sets.

Those are the RRP not the price they sell for. Cut at minimum 40% off. Also Bandai releases are singles and the same price for hybrid or sub only.
Also rereleases are much much cheaper: CLANNAD sub only half seasons were $40 both dubbed is $50

So long as the best shows still get dubs I'll be happy. Shows on the same level as Stand Alone Complex, etc, with equally good dubs.

Still, skipping the dub just seems lazy and unprofessional from here. Having the choice of dub or sub has been a staple part of the anime DVD 'package'. One version you can just watch casually, and another for if you want to watch it as it was originally shown in Japan. Having one without the other is only half the package.

Unfortunately not enough people are buying the DVDs to justify producing dubs for everything. I can assure you that it's neither laziness nor unprofressionalism on the part of the distributors. No doubt they'd love to dub every show but if they don't expect sales to increase by enough to cover the costs, they won't take the risk.

Without a dub it barely seems worth releasing at all. I mean, what do you have that the fansub does not have? It is no wonder that I hear that the anime industry in the US is suffering. "Low sales volume? Lets just remove some main content and sell it like that to save cash." Bad idea IMO.

It's worth releasing as people want it. It's actually knowing that you're supporting the industry and the people whose livelihoods rely on the shows they create.

I love owning the shows themselves (sub or dub).

The reason they have removed the dubs for some shows is due to low sales, not the other way around.

If it comes to a show that has to be sub only, or no show at all, I'll happily take it sub only.

Back