Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Rewatch)

26 at last!

I'm in total agreement; it's a beautifully played final act. I was surprised at how clearly I remembered 26 when I started watching it again, but time has not dimmed its emotional power in the slightest.

I'd forgotten the 'Adam & Eve' connotations with the apple, but the scene of Batou battering through the debris with his cross certainly stayed with me. I'm still not quite sure how to interpret that one though - the sins of Kusanagi and Kuze are forgiven? I can't help feeling as well that it's a cheeky reference to the cross-carrying soldier in Oshii's own 'Angel's Egg'

Much as the Tatchikoma's kamikaze charge still brings a lump to my throat too, I think the scene does possibly prefigure some of the events in SSS when one of them quietly uploads their memories to the net.

As for Gohda's death... I felt it was fairly appropriate to see him snuffed out, quickly and brutally. It would probably be more damaging to his ego to die in quiet obscurity than to go to some grandoise fate. The only thing that might have improved on it for me would be if he'd been taken out while boarding a plane - could have been a nice riff on the events of season 1.

Edit: Now that I come to think of it, perhaps Gohda's end is supposed to have some sort of symmetry with Kuze - both ultimately die a fruitless death?

Should be able to get SSS watched over the weekend as well, but on that note, I'm off to shed a manly tear now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet again Prof. Irony, i'm so glad you posted. I'd never seen the apple in an Adam/Eve way upon first viewing. I'm so tempted to rewatch this episode, actually. It's just perfect in all ways.

If you're able to watch SSS on the weekend; I propose we all attempt to! Is that okay with you Hokum?

Wow finally managed to watch it.

Very good, Hmm at the running time of 4 full episodes, it pretty much pulls off a plot as complex as the laughing man case in a much shorter space. I get the feeling that they could of made this into a full series, but couldn't think up enough stand alone episodes to make it so?

I like the Idea of the major becoming so complex that her subconscious had taken on a life of its own. But it is interesting to think that she never even noticed her passing herself? Or that a “body” was missing?

I have to admit my favourite part is the sniper dual, between Saito and Raj Poot was very well done. Also the nod the the beginning of The original GITS manga with the cyborgs at the institute.

My overall feeling after two series and a feature length film, is I WANT MORE!

I love GITS with a passion, Cyber-punk is by far my fave genre and I can't of anything which pulls it off which such style or grace.

"The net is truly vast and infinite."

Ah it's awesome you managed to watch it man :) Sadly I haven't. I've been busy non-stop >.< I'm off for a bit as of Thursday though so may try it soon!

Can you reccomend other cyber-punk shows? I prefer modern stuff ideally :)

I want more as well!

And not a reboot, or a re-telling. I want more GITS: SAC.

Because, quite honestly, this is my favourite sci fi show of all time, over and above anything else.

Shirayuri said:
Can you reccomend other cyber-punk shows? I prefer modern stuff ideally :)

Hmm That is part of the issue, there is little I'd consider a true cyber punk anime recently. About the only one which comes to mind would be Ergo Proxy, but that show suffers other problems, though I found it largely likeable.

There are some older anime, and I'd recommend books as the best resource for more cyberpunk.

Hokum said:
About the only one which comes to mind would be Ergo Proxy, but that show suffers other problems, though I found it largely likeable.

Ah I loved Ergo Proxy; was confusing though. I ended up reading an episode summary before watching so I could figure out what on earth was going on. lol.

What about Texhnolyze? I haven't actually seen it, so I couldn't say how cyberpunkish it actually is, but it certainly has the look.

There's also Mardock Scramble, but I don't think it's been subbed yet.

Professor Irony said:
What about Texhnolyze? I haven't actually seen it, so I couldn't say how cyberpunkish it actually is, but it certainly has the look.

Ah I do have the first two volumes of this; just I've never got around to starting it. Maybe I should now then.

Finished watching Solid State... only just under a fortnight after everyone else :(

My book design project was dragging horribly and, while I could have watched it in bits and pieces, I really wanted to try and sit down to view it properly. Anyway, water under the bridge.

It's actually only been about six months since I saw the film first time round and my feelings about it are still much the same. I do really enjoy it, but, even on the second viewing, I still found parts of the story hard to follow and I think it would have benefitted from the breathing space of being a full series instead of a one-off film. It seems to me like there's easily enough scope to expand on and explore elements like Togusa's decision to opt for cyberisation or the strained relationship between him and Batou in light of Section 9's expansion.

I enjoyed the story though; it certainly felt like a logical progression from the 2nd Gig, dealing with what seems like a powerful, corrupted version of Kuze's utopian collective-unconscious project. It also seems quite fitting that the Major's greatest enemy turns out, in a way, to be herself.

As much as it saddens me that this is (for the time being) the end of the line, I was relieved that the ending is left open enough for them to continue the series. For years I avoided watching this film as I assumed it was the SAC version of the original Oshii movie and would be a definite end to the SAC continuity. At least there's always a chance we might get more some day. :)

So tl;dr - S-A-C is pronounced W-I-N.

I'm more or less convinced that Ghost In The Shell will return as an anime franchise someday. It's too big a draw NOT to wheel out again in the future.

As for the Solid Stae Society movie... gotta say, it's not the kind of explosive send-off I'd hoped SAC would get. I don't dislike it, I just find it a bit too crammed with stuff and a little awkwardly paced. And yes, in places it's very hard to follow.

HdE said:
I'm more or less convinced that Ghost In The Shell will return as an anime franchise someday. It's too big a draw NOT to wheel out again in the future.

Definitely. I think it's not a question of 'if', as much as 'when'.

On the subject of other cyberpunk series though, I watched through the Parasite Dolls OAV today and I was actually quite impressed. It's another three episode series about the anti-boomer police from the Bubblegum Crisis universe. The show is pretty dark, but it recaptures a lot of the sleazy atmosphere of the 1990s A.D. Police Files OAV without being quite so crushingly bleak. It's not a masterpiece or anything, but I'd recommend checking it out if you fancy a quick blast of cyberpunk without getting into a lengthier philosophy piece like Texhnolyze.

Is there still any interest in doing a similar simulwatch thread for Ghost Hound, by the way?

Back