Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Rewatch)

S2 EP15
I love all the Tachikoma orientated episodes. There is something about their Innocence I find very cute.

Its sad than Asuda chose to try and defect, maybe due to not knowing the level of freedom and advancement the Tachikoma's had undergone. His idea I suppose of leaving something in the Tachikoma Conscious is like someone writing their name in cement to be found later.

I'd happily watch a series just about the Tachikoma!

S2 EP16

I think that is todays? Anyway, a very plot laden episode. The deteriorating condition of the government, and the sinister grey guy... The story behind Kuze, is interesting about how they suffered post traumatic stress disorder after the engagement. Interesting this “happyness” effect Kuze has on people...

Episode #16

Yup, this is todays Hokum :)

A good episode, very thick with plot as Hokum says. I'm right in understanding it was Kuze's unit who were suffering the PTSD? I really love the insight this gives us on Kuze (I'm referring here to the above mentioned 'happiness' effect).

I look forward to tommorows episode!

EP15 (blarg, still one behind)

Rather touching that one. The Tatchikomas are so often played as the cheerful comic relief that I think it makes it all the more poignant when they get a serious moment like that.

Wouldn't be too sure about the Major's comment on their lack of freedom though - perhaps she feels that the purpose of Section 9 is to fight for civil liberties, but in the end, they're still just a tool of the government.

Professor Irony said:
Wouldn't be too sure about the Major's comment on their lack of freedom though - perhaps she feels that the purpose of Section 9 is to fight for civil liberties, but in the end, they're still just a tool of the government.

It makes me think of what she says Ghost in the Shell movie; "I feel free to expand only within boundaries". I really love this quote; I feel it applies to so much in our society and lives.

Episode #17

A good episode, but one of the worse episodes in the Second GiG I find. Definitely the weakest thus far. Seeing Motoko's choice of outfit after getting out of the shower was interesting though xD

I must say though, her saying "The kid had more spunk than I thought" after the previous scene made me chuckle to myself somewhat. It seemed way too out of character for Motoko to offer herself up to him though.

Hopefully the next episode shall be better!

Mhah, oh boy - I was wondering when we'd get to this one...

The scene in the hotel room made me a little uncomfortable first time round, but I don't think the Major is seriously offering herself to the kid. It's more like she's trying to shock him into acting his age.

Other than that, yeah... not really a standout episode. I thought the most interesting thing about it was the idea that Raoh (sp?) / Kuze should be involved in drug trafficking. Even if it was to help the refugees, it's quite a big moral step away from how he's been portrayed so far.

I have to admit, the tachikoma inadvertantly doing coke at the end made me laugh. :roll:

Episode #18

Ah I remember this episode fondly from it's first viewing. This one is beautiful on the eyes- it really captures how cold it is well. A really nice episode, with a touching ending.

This is the last DI (Dividual) episode, so no it's just IN (Individual) and DU (Dual) episodes to go! I'm looking forward to tommorow's episode, to start the last stretch now. I must say; I'm going to miss the show when this re-watch it over.

S2 EP17
Typing on myphone again so it wont be long. Hmm not a great episode. Some interesting bits but feels about as close to a filler as gits gets. Always nice to see the major opening new doors and making friends ;-)

S2 EP18
An emotionally hard hitting episode, the bit with the girl as the end had me in tears! The mood of the episode is enhanced more by both the somber visuals and the music.

Godot said:
I must say; I'm going to miss the show when this re-watch it over.

Yeah, I've enjoyed going through SAC again myself. Any plans for another simulwatch after we're done?

Kind of a shame if 18 is the last of the 'stand alone' eps for this season, but it's a really nice one to end on. I wasn't aware, but apparently this one references the German film "Wings of Desire". Other than that, not much I can add. Interesting to see Angel Feather was using the same style of concealed shotgun as the assassin in ¥€$.

Incidentally, I think this is a good point to bring up the 2nd OP. I would have posted it sooner, but I actually thought this episode was much earlier in the series.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5662vcnTvrE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5662vcnTvrE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Lastly, I totally forgot - another visual ref to the film in 17?

GhostintheShellSAC2ndGiG-17-RedDataengdubavi_snapshot_0232_20110329_224253.png

GhostintheShellSAC2ndGiG-17-RedDataengdubavi_snapshot_0234_20110329_224233.png

Professor Irony said:
Yeah, I've enjoyed going through SAC again myself. Any plans for another simulwatch after we're done?

If you wish to message me about it, we could discuss something. I'm tempted try Ghost Hound after, to stick with the Shirow theme. Equally, I like the idea of getting good discussion going on Paranoia Agent; I'm sure lots of people have this already.

Hokum said:
An emotionally hard hitting episode, the bit with the girl as the end had me in tears!

Awwwww! It is a sad ending isn't it? We only have the story to go now though. I'm getting more and more pumped each day. If it wasn't for the simul-watch I would have blitzed through more tonight :p

Episode #19

Well the final stretch has begun! A really good episode; one I have flashes of back from my first viewing. What an ending; it begs the question when did Motoko realize he wasn't there? Not as obviously heart-wrenching as other episodes; but definitely a sad ending. Seeing Batou shouting at the Motoko really brings that home.

I would suggest Moribito for a group watch but I've just started rewatching it with my wife.

S2 EP19

interesting, who are the harkonen style people with Goda? The one thing i don't understand, if Kuze was with those refugees to talk to them how was he not these but somewhere else?

Episode #20

Fantastic episode, with a great ending. The show is really hotting up now; and I'm loving it!

Hokum, Prof. Irony and I liked the idea of doing Ghost Hound next; to stick with the Shirow theme. If you're up for it, do say so! :)

Episode #21

My comments on this one much echo those of the last episode! All plot, and it's great. More suggestions as to who Kuza really is too, for people who hadn't seen the show before ;)

I'm looking forward to tommorows episode- the very last DU Episode; so we'll be seeing plenty of Goda and his true agenda!

S2 ep20

Nice plot and action filled episode. The tachikoma masking the first arm suit with their 50mm grenade launchers was nice and the other delegging one with its gattling gun too.

S2 E19 (3rd attempt, kept getting interrupted :( )

That was rather gripping. Seeing the boat jogged my memory of this one, but I'd forgotten how it all played out. Even in such tragic circumstances, I was particularly surprised to see Batou lose the rag with Motoko - he normally treats her with such obvious affection that I thought it was quite shocking to see him dish it out.

Morbito sounds like a good shout for a watch thread as well - I was backing it for showing at one of my local clubs a few months back - but I was thinking Ghost Hunt might be a change of pace as I gather it's more of a comedy series.

Back