Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Rewatch)

Professor Irony said:
Ah my bad, gotcha. I knew Shirow had been involved in one of them, I just always get those two mixed up (haven't seen either).

Well I will definitely be watching it after GitS if you wish to watch with me.

Also, I told you the boat would jog your memory ;)

S2 E20

Another good one. I liked Batou's jibe that the Major was like a "moody teenager who's just met the man of her dreams" :)

Given how heavily they're building up Kuze at the moment, I'd be quite interested to know when he was actually exposed to the I11 virus and if that's what propelled him into action. At the moment, it seems as if they're suggesting that he's a mutation; the virus combined with his unique background to produce a revolutionary leader instead of a self-destructive individual like the others.

I couldn't quite take the Major's discovery of her hacker friend's death seriously though - the sheer obliviousness of his catgirl companions rather amused me...

Professor Irony said:
I couldn't quite take the Major's discovery of her hacker friend's death seriously though - the sheer obliviousness of his catgirl companions rather amused me...

lol, Same here. What weirded me out was the fact they carried on even though he was dead...

I'm also interested in when Kuze got infected too; he seemed to be the only one to realize the book didn't exist, so I would assume he had some sort of resistance to parts of the virus or something...

Episode #22

This was the final DU episode; and what an episode it was! This episode reminds me of Chat Chat Chat(?) in the First GIG in the sense that it's largely conversation based, yet keeps your attention all the time. Another great episode; and now there are only 4 left things are getting good!

S2 EP 21
Fantastic action and the plot really kicked into high gear! The fight between Batou and Kuze was well executed. Interesting that Kuze didn't take the upper hand and kill Batou, maybe he realised it wouldn't progress the situation. Is it me or does alot of the episode remind me of GITS 2: Innocence? The double cross was pretty telegraphed though i felt.

Btw are we watching SSS as a group?

Afraid I've fallen behind a little bit again, but I should be able to catch up tomorrow. As I was saying to Godot the other day, I've got a GitS-themed painting video planned for the end of the series and, despite having possibly coined a couple of new profanities in the process last night, I think it's still on track. So that's my excuse :)

Hokum said:
Btw are we watching SSS as a group?

If we do, it's safe to assume we'll need to do it on a Saturday or Sunday. I doubt we'll get time in the week. An episode a day seems to be tough enough :p ;)

S2 E21

Exciting stuff! I'm guessing Kuze didn't kill Batou as he genuinely wants to avoid unnecessary loss of life. The suicide bomber taking down the tilt-rotor rather reminded me of Apocalypse Now as well.

Thinking back over the past couple of episodes though, it rather strikes me how little armour Section 9 seem to be equipped with here when they're in combat - it looks as if they're all wearing little more than a flight suit and a bandolier for spare magazines. I suppose they could be wearing low-profile vests under their overalls, but you'd think some heavier armour on the outside would be a better idea. It might even have prevented Yano's death...

S2 EP 22

Great episode. Anyone get a strong Patlabor vibe from it? The somber music, the military vehicles and all the birds. I liked the single white crow amongst the many. Interesting that Borma is a bomb disposal expert. Can we also assume he was a virgin before becoming a cyborg? I liked Batou talking Goda down too!

Prof i assumed the cyborgs had armour and redundant systems to take hits.

S2 E22

That was very entertaining, despite just being another mainly conversational episode - I can understand the comparison with Chat Chat Chat. I can't actually remember much about the second Patlabor film (birds, Goto in a car, large gas cloud?), but this ep definitely felt like something Oshii had a hand in. Nice to see Batou doing the interrogating as well, although it didn't surprise me that he was relying on the Major's memories - it did sound as if it was her doing the talking at times.

I was slightly disappointed when Goda more or less admitted his involvement at the end of the conversation though; until then the whole scene seemed to be taking on a nicely absurd, OJ Simpson-style 'If I had done it, this is what I would have done' quality.

About the armour though... I did figure it would be less of a problem for full-prosthetic or heavily cyborged members of the team to take a hit to their body, but I don't think it's ever really made clear to what extent the other members of the team are actually cyberised. Added to which, you've got Togusa, who's nearly all flesh & blood, but doesn't appear to be wearing any additional protection.

I did note that they were back to wearing armoured vests in E22 and I'm pretty sure the team wore armour for the fight with the terrorists at the Chinese embassy, so I suppose they must change gear based on the expected situation. I'm just curious as to why they would forgo the heavy vests when they aren't in plain clothes.

S2 EP 23
Wow a fantastic episode. Section 9 on the run again (they seem to like making it a habit!). Was that in Daisuke Aramakis brother Kuze was speaking to?

Prof id recommend watching Patlabour 2 again it is a fantasticly atmospheric film.

I also like how the episode uses one of my favourite tracks, not a word.

I'm sorry to have fallen behind guys >.< Didn't get home till late today, and had a busy day yesterday. Shall definately get at least 2 episodes done tommorow, unless more annoyances crop up!

S2 E23

All the pieces of the puzzle are really starting to come together. I think this episode definitely underscores the series ideas about the potential for use and misuse of mass communication. Although the refugees and the army are doing the actual fighting, the battle is more like some sort of complicated game Kuze, Goda and Section 9 are playing out by remote - stop, start, go here, do this, don't do that and so on. Why can more shows not be like this...?

On the downside, while I don't remember him having all that much to do really, Aramaki's brother showing up at this point in time does feel a little bit like a Deus ex Machina waiting to happen. Only a little.

Incidentally, I like the refugees idea to block off the bridge with armour-plated buses - just like Mad Max 2 :)

Episode #23 (Late)

Wow; what an episode. I echo Prof. Irony's thoughts here. This reminds me of why this is my No. 1 show on MAL. It's crazy to think it's the last episode tommorow! (If we're up to date; I know I will be ;) )

I'm off to watch 24 now; and I think I'll watch the final two tommorow.

I've loved this show so much. It's gonna be a real shame to stop watching!

Episode #24 (Late)

Another amazing episode. This show just gets better, and better. If I recall, the next episode is one of the best (if not the best) in the series, so I'm gonna wait until tommorow for that one :p

All the pieces are in place now; and political deception is rife! Loved seeing Kuze and the Refugees using stingers too 8)

Episode #25 (Late)

What an episode <3 The orchestrated version of Run Rabbit Junk is just amazing. Everything getting epic to a Metal Gear Solid scale here!?

It's sad that today is the last day. I shall be watching episode 26 soon!

Episode #26 (Late)

The end is here now; and what an amazing end it was. This episode had me welling up when I Do was played; a truly beautiful piece, and working perfectly with the contents of the episode. (I might add, this track has 200 plays on my iTunes at time of posting!)

There was a great deal of satisfaction to be had at seeing the Major blow Gohda's brains out; he did seem to get away with it at first!

I interpreted the Tachikoma's sacrifice as a possibility of them having developed Ghosts -- disobeying the Majors orders to save the day. It was a really sad moment; but such a beautiful moment too.

Honestly; I don't think any show will ever take the place that Ghost in the Shell has in my heart. Magnificent from start to finish. I hope you all catch up and give concluding thoughts soon! Do we want to watch SSS this/next weekend just to round everything off?

S2 EP 24-26
Wow just hard lined the last three after getting behind. Stunning. I really feel a little sorry for Batou, you get the feeling he has a thing for the major. I mean running into danger and trying to bash his way to getting to her. Its sad too that Kuze is wasted that way it makes it seem that all his efforts are for naught. Though sad esp with them singing, the death of the Tachikomas is less saddening than in sac.

I don't know about Gohdas death it feels too easy. He should of had a more fitting death.

I thought the symbolism of Batou bashing through to her with a Cross was beautiful, myself. And I did feel sorry for him too; it feels like our intuition on his feelings for the Major are confirmed in the way he treats Kuze, who wasn't hostile at this point.

And that line from Kuze touched me; "I'll lead the way". The Major's first love - it's just beautiful.

I don't know; I liked Gohda's death. I felt that he needed a straight forward bullet to the brain just to getr over his cockiness. I'm not sure what other death he may have had.

Such a perfect ending to this show, in my opinion. Really is an amazing show.

When would you like to do SSS if you're still up for it?

Yeh im still up for it. Hmm I'll try and watch it this weekend. Tbh im looking forward to getting my gaming time back! It has been filled with gits for the past month or two!

Back