General TV Discussion

teonzo said:
ilmaestro said:
but I guess there's no massive rush if it's still a year until it will finish.

This reads like "I'll wait and buy the deluxe BD boxset when it will come out".
I wish but apparently there are no plans to release it on Blu Ray in the UK. :(

Sy said:
I wish but apparently there are no plans to release it on Blu Ray in the UK. :(

If the problem is about the BD region, you can buy a multiregion player or get the German BDs, which have English audio.

I'm waiting as well for the end of this series to get all the BDs. I've grown tired of watching series while they air, having to wait for cliffhangers and so on. Now I prefer to wait for the end of every series and watch it in a row. It's been quite a PITA to try to avoid all kind of spoilers for Breaking Bad, since many of my friends continue talking about it.

Teo

Having the Blu Rays would be nice but to be honest I'm not that fussed about the quality difference between that and DVD since it doesnt detract any from how I enjoy what i'm watching.

Haha, Bottom used to be a completely insane program. It's hard to imagine anything like that being green lit for the BBC these days.

I've been watching the odd episode of The Newsroom whenever I catch it. I like it despite understanding why many don't, but I do have to admit to finding it annoyingly patriotic for a show about a cynical anchorman. I found the last episode particularly cringe worthy, with the whole "we've killed Bin Laden, I'm so proud to be an American! Remember what you were doing when you heard the news, son" type bollocks. Was everybody in America really like that on hearing the news that Bin Laden was dead? So stupid.

vashdaman said:
Was everybody in America really like that on hearing the news that Bin Laden was dead? So stupid.

I know a lot of Americans, what with the girlfriend being one, and it seemed pretty much a 50-50 split between that attitude you describe and being sickened by the whole thing.

Genkina Hito said:
Dr. Who is back to its explodey-wodey best. Great episode to kick the latest season off!
Yeah, really enjoyed it. Gotta say though, won't miss Amy when it comes down to her last episode. She's really starting to grate on me. Rory on the other hand, he's awesome... Not sure if that's even a spoiler since it's been across the front of magazines and such but I'm just considerate like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having watched Doctor Who I'm going to not watch any more until Moffat has been ousted from the front runner seat. Beyond everything else, the show falls foul of rule #1 of writing; when writing a female character one should never, EVER make anything hinge on the character's ability to reproduce by natural means.

This show not only disobeyed this rule but then went on to rub it in the viewer's face via an awkward egg metaphor.

Moffat thinks he's far too cleaver for the audience; where RTD was a GM who is with the viewer, swigging bears and telling tall, sometimes ludicrous, tales, Moffat is a stuffy old man who reads his story with no emotion in his voice and will send anyone who wishes to learn more or interoperate the story that is not to his master view to the dungeon.

Moffat is LemonGrass.

And he is a butt.

I always felt different. Moffat knows science fiction, he gets the idea that Doctor Who is a time traveler, he uses that. RTD is interested in the soap opera, he thrives on melodrama and fan pleasing. In all honesty I thought Doctor Who was ok when it came back and RTD deserves credit for resurrecting it but Moffat deserves more credit for turning it back into science fiction.

Sy said:
I always felt different. Moffat knows science fiction, he gets the idea that Doctor Who is a time traveler, he uses that. RTD is interested in the soap opera, he thrives on melodrama and fan pleasing. In all honesty I thought Doctor Who was ok when it came back and RTD deserves credit for resurrecting it but Moffat deserves more credit for turning it back into science fiction.

I agree with this, I was glad when RTD went. Every year his xmas specials had to get that little more dramatic, how many times did his characters have long goodbyes. The inconsistent plot ideas that went in the face of Who lore. I too am thankful he got it ressurected but in the end he focused too much on the doctor and rose (who i'm thankful got wrote out...even if she did get put back in)

In RTD's run some of my favourite episodes were "The Empty Child", "Blink". "The Forest of the Dead" and they weren't done by RTD.

I also hope that Torchwood doesn't come back, I gave up on that with Children of Earth.

Sy said:

If that was science fiction, then I want my money back.

If I wanted to watch some nonsense about how a woman is sterile and that defined her whole damn character then I'd watch Eastenders or something.

Or Paint drying, I'd probably be entertained by that far more.

ConanThe3rd said:
If I wanted to watch some nonsense about how a woman is sterile and that defined her whole damn character then I'd watch Eastenders or something.
Well that would be a solid argument if your point made sense but as far as I'm aware that's the first time that it's been mentioned in the whole time the character has existed so i'm not sure how it how it defines her. I'm not the biggest Amy fan but I can see the character is more than that.

Sy said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Well that would be a solid argument if your point made sense but as far as I'm aware that's the first time that it's been mentioned in the whole time the character has existed so i'm not sure how it how it defines her. I'm not the biggest Amy fan but I can see the character is more than that.
I dunno, I wouldn't have started a season with this as a point, that much is damn sure.

Let's have some wacky hijinks on the space station with dinosaurs and women Pharaohs before we go "IM USELESS CUZ I CAN@T MAKE BABYS!", alright?

Too much to ask?

Probably is, this is Moffet, he who took River Song and made her thoroughly unlikeable, after all.

I wasn't a fan of RTD's rein at all, but must admit he did make a good few episodes, 'Midnight' comes to mind. Credit where credits due and all that. Certainly makes up for those dreadful farting aliens in that World War Three atrocity.

Apart from Who, I've been watching 24: Season 4, the one about 'The Cause'.

I think the series is going downhill. Found season 3 to be bloody awful, and while this is better, it has been in a downward spiral since about episode 10. Things now seem like they are being made up as it goes along. Every new suspect (no matter how vaguely related to The Cause they are) always seem to know something, and it's getting tedious.

Directionless and hollow - something seasons 1 and 2 never were.

I was not a fan of the Midnight episode, I know it was a tale of what fear is and how we can be bigger monsters but I just didn't like it. I prefer my Who doing what it did in the past and still does well today...Throwing the doctor at an alien threat and watching the results :)

Speaking of which, finally got round to watching Asylum of the Daleks last night, and I think the new assistant will fit in well with Matt Smith's doctor, though I'm wondering how they'll bring her in now that they've already introduced her as another character (I know they did that already with Martha and her 'cousin' but doing it again would be hard to believe). Still unsure of who she played though in Captain America.

As for Amy mind, I don't think the revelation about her defines her, I just think it was an element of her. But I do believe that her character arc is finished. I can't see what's left for her character to do. Though Rory's character has come on in leaps and bounds. He's easily one of my favourite assistants now. Will be sad to see him bow out with Amy in four eps time :(

BlackWolf said:
Still unsure of who she played though in Captain America.
She was his girlfriend.
tumblr_m18yzvtSdp1qa7hzxo1_500.png

Back