General TV Discussion

Oh yeah. This happened -

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4AppVGPVYv4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4AppVGPVYv4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Was a decent episode too.

I can't believe I'm going to say this but I'm actually watching Skins, and I am somewhat actually liking it.

Also, that Turning Japanese programme. The presenter guy was like, " I don't like manga etc... but I'm sure Japan has more to offer me..." And what does he do? He goes to a Love Doll Emporium and tries out Man-bra's. Whoever said they wanted to hit the Tv with a stick had the right idea. But that final peice about Host Clubs was just sad. Especially when it turns out some of the women spend £1k a month on a visit.

Would like to see that Faulks on Fiction - set the recorder for it. This week its fictional heroes. As I have been reading the Sherlock Holmes books, I'm looking forward to it.

Also, watched Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned recently after a very long time. Its made me want to pick up those old Anne Rice books again. Esp, liked Stuart Townsend's adaption of Lestat. Even though, mostly because he looks like that guy from The Crow.

I really appreciate Skins, it gets a lot of hate from people who haven't properly watched it. It's a lot better than plenty of other stuff on. I didn't really care for the metalhead second ep of this current series; it was interesting, and I like the Pandora Ver. 2 but my main interest is still with the main Golden Compass girl so far.

I also watched a bit of the Turning Japanese show and it was awful. I saw the monkey being a waiter and it was remarkable indeed, but it seems like a show that wants to be 'An Idiot Abroad' so much but lacks the charm, wonder and honesty of someone like Karl Pilkington at the centre. JLC is not that. It makes his observations feel almost offensive, whereas it would be amusing and understandable coming from Pilks.

Dunno if there are any Dungeons and Dragons players around these parts, but Community has done it again - watch here - I feel like I'm repeating myself when it comes to this show, but lord, that had me laughing so hard. The characters bounce off each other and it told an epic without anyone leaving their chairs. Absolute genius.

@Jayme - It looks like we both like the same character in Skins so far. The first episode was rather excellant, in my opinion. It takes some seriouse guts to dress like that on the first day of Sixth Form. But that scene with the Metalhead when he hijacked the music, certainly brought back memories. I did the same to play Placebo. They never let me near the Sixth Form stereo again after that: Ever.

I never saw the Karl Pilkington version, but watching JLC makes me wish I had.

Never played Dungeons and Dragons, but I loved the cartoon as a kid.

Did anyone else watch the double of Hawaii Five-0 tonight?

I thought it was brilliant. I've been so hyped for this for months - glad it's finally in the UK <3

BBC America series launches on BBC One tonight. Outcasts, apparently it's a slow-moving brooding Battlestar Galactica-esque British end-of-world show. Jamie Bamber (Apollo from BSG) is in it, so I'll give the eight-parter a watch. Even if it's pure cringe.

Airs tonight 9PM.

I'll be watching it. Got it on Planner as a reminder.

I also put on Panorama expecting a Wikileaks episode, but instead they're covering the stuff happening in Egypt.

Watched episode one, and while the locations were well scouted and VFXs pretty good for a UK show, the acting was wooden, and the background info very poorly communicated to the viewer.

Finally watched an ep of JLC's Japan thing... it was OK tbh. Gonna check out his Steven Seagal episode for sure, might check out the previous Japan things via Five's online player.

ilmaestro said:
Finally watched an ep of JLC's Japan thing... it was OK tbh. Gonna check out his Steven Seagal episode for sure, might check out the previous Japan things via Five's online player.
I've been watching JLC's Turning Japanese as well, to be honest I didn't find half the stuff suprising

Outcasts Episodes 1 and 2… It’s not bad. Very slow. The colony details are somewhat un-sci-fi – space travel but 20th century guns? - and elements of the characterisation and narrative are predictable and nonsensical, due to formulaic writing - these guys are too soft and clean for a colony.

They also killed off the most interesting actor in the first episode as well. The extras need to be given some lines as well otherwise they cease to be threatening and become dummies. Also the resolution to the second episode was just silly.

That said, it has potential to be good and it beats Defying Gravity (it was so dull), there are still mysteries but it needs to develop faster.

BAFTA's are coming on soon, so I'll be watching that.

BAFTA's were aiiright, didn't really care for 'em. I'm not usually a fan of Helena BC but I quite liked her speech and Sorkin picking up with Adapted Screenplay award was also a joy. Terrific man and writer.

I watched the final episode of Friday Night Lights earlier and it's certainly one of the most magical dramas produced. The series is obsessed with capturing the big moments in life, so while the plot points can sometimes leave something to be desired, it's mixed in with great humour, believable, consistent characters and interesting storylines. It's rare for television so... genuine and real to come along, with performances so strong and writing so great. Even if, arguably an American Football based drama in Texas is like setting a show in a different world in terms of relatability. (Though I never have trouble with that).

The focus is on the aforementioned football but the heart lies in the central relationship between the Coach Eric Taylor and his Wife, Tami and all the supporting characters, including their daughter Julie and Coach's current football team. The setting is the fictional town of Dillon, TX and we see the lives of these amazing people pass by - there's contrivances, sure, but this world is so fantastically built it lets the little problems just fly by.

I'm going to miss it an awful lot. As Eric and Tami Taylor, Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton created (along with showrunner Jason Katims) one hell of a marriage and world for me to cry over. I can't believe its over.

"Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!"

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3i5BGvtsFjc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3i5BGvtsFjc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

Texas Forever: 12 Things Television Can Learn From 'Friday Night Lights'.

Outcasts eps. 3-6

The show has really picked up with episode 6 being the best of the lot so far. It's full on sci-fi and the conspiracy is unfolding. The action is good and the characters don't irritate as much as they once did.

Back