General Politics Thread

Suggestion: Rename this thread to Reactionary Right Wing Politics Thread. Nothing general about the positions being debated here.
Or someone could post left wing positions to balance the thread out, but saying that it should be about the position not the political stance of person making it.

I'm just gonna come out with it, I've been permanently banned from posting comments on kotaku UK for a comment on a pretty toxic brexit post. despite a ban from Kuk being a "you're human" badge I'm still going to say that admins are admins, not dung beetles
Never heard of Kotaku, do you have a link of the brexit post in question? I might want to pay them a visit :p

I don't go on many forums but most of the ones I do have a rule of no discussions on politics or religion. And there's good reason for that, no matter how friendly the discussion starts they always end up badly. If you want to discuss politics there are plenty of sites to do so.

Never heard of Kotaku, do you have a link of the brexit post in question? I might want to pay them a visit :p
kotaku is (meant to be) a blog on anime, toys, vidya that kind of stuff, and it used to be, but during brexit and the election their left wing was showing, the post that got me banned from comments was an extreme doomsaying baitey post saying those who voted brexit have shot the country in the foot, with no thought of the interests of those who voted to remain, you know, the typical dressing brexiteers as bogeymen turned up to 11.
I can't find the article, it's over a year old, but it's very rage inducing. my comment did start like "jesus christ every other journalist did every brexiteer *do something I don’t understand to* you or something" I'd imagine language would have got me banned, or noticed by their admins, but to be perma - banned with no explanation? they handled that poorly, and they handled that article very poorly. now, it's not so much about trump, brexit or that kind of stuff but their politics do still show in many of their posts

Last edited by a moderator:
Suggestion: Rename this thread to Reactionary Right Wing Politics Thread. Nothing general about the positions being debated here.
It occurs to me that might be more down to the lack of posters and therefore the lack of divergent opinions. I mean I'd rather this thread didn't become the AUKN equivalent of the "I Say/You Say" radio show from GTA San Andreas with the majority of it being me and Ken, but I can't make other people post their opinions as much as I might like to hear them.

It occurs to me that I'd written an entire post in response to a comment early on in the thread, and I never actually posted it – in hindsight, probably in fear of being flamed, rather than disagreed with. If that's happening to me, a politically-minded type who enjoys engaging in the marketplace of ideas, I can't imagine who else is being discouraged from posting, despite potentially wanting to contribute.
And this might be why there aren't so many posters. I know people on AUKN are capable of reasonable and intelligent discussion on serious topics, but for whatever reason less people seem inclined to share them now than in times gone by. I'll admit the fear of being flamed or insulted doesn't really enter into my decision whether to post or not because I really don't care very much what people say to (or about) me, though I appreciate others do. However the scope of discussion with so few posters does make me less inclined to attempt to discuss things in any depth. So often I just won't even try because I don't think the discussion is going to go anywhere.

I don't go on many forums but most of the ones I do have a rule of no discussions on politics or religion. And there's good reason for that, no matter how friendly the discussion starts they always end up badly. If you want to discuss politics there are plenty of sites to do so.
There's the saying "friends who want to stay friends don't discuss religion or politics" but I'd say friends who can't disagree about those things and still remain friends aren't very good friends. The one caveat to that though is that friends should also treat each other's opinions with respect. And I hope (as Teapot mentioned) that we are friends here because we know each other better than say, faceless commentators on news articles who flame and antagonise each other all day long.

I just really don't like the use of crass language and terms like "rape" being thrown around out of context and being used in any way that diminishes just how serious it is to people who have actually been affected by it.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record the inflammatory language I removed did not relate to the ‘f’ word and I will be deleting the rape comment in a moment. More dramatic countermeasures to unacceptable language will be following if people can’t dial it down to the level of basic respect I expect from my fellow human beings. That requires considering who is reading your post before making it. This site is used by people of various ages from very diverse backgrounds; if you want to speak to narrower groups of people and drop the need for respect, please make a personal blog and post there as has been suggested.

If you would like to specifically discuss moderation in this thread rather than the thread itself, I’m only a private message away (and you can tell Teapot if I’m too mean!)

R

Last edited:

This is fair enough, but I'd really hope (and I think) that AUKN as a whole is capable of discussing these topics maturely and respectfully most of the time. I have had some the, nay, the best discussions I've ever had on politics and religion on this very forum. If this forum had had that rule then I would never have had them.

The way the Home Office has been treating members of the Windrush generation, long term residents who came here (as they were invited) from the Caribbean and settled, is absolutely evil and heartless, and I really don't feel those terms are too strong at all. The Home Office is just getting worse and worse, imaging threatening to deport hard working people who have been here for decades and since they were young. Imagine being the one threatened, or worse actually deported, how horrifying that must be.

Not from the Caribbean, but this story is heartbreaking Woman accused of faking illness to avoid UK deportation died five days later

The way the Home Office has been treating members of the Windrush generation, long term residents who came here (as they were invited) from the Caribbean and settled, is absolutely evil and heartless, and I really don't feel those terms are too strong at all. The Home Office is just getting worse and worse, imaging threatening to deport hard working people who have been here for decades and since they were young. Imagine being the one threatened, or worse actually deported, how horrifying that must be.
It is incredibly dodgy for the Home Office to do this now, especially to people who arrived as children and who've never known any other country than the UK as their home. If they'd pursued people for breaking immigration law at the time they might have had a point, but to leave it for 50-60 years and then start trying to prosecute or deport people is mad. What on earth can doing this possibly hope to achieve other than to possibly make black people feel unwelcome? Is there any kind of thought process that goes into this at all, or is it just box-ticking bureaucracy at its finest? There should definitely be a statute of limitations on something like this - We certainly shouldn't be targeting middle-aged to elderly people who've lived their entire lives here.

I have a fairly low opinion of the effectiveness of the petitions since the government seems fairly relaxed about shooting them down if they go against their general agenda for stirring up misery, but consider it signed. Absolute nonsense to suddenly want to move all of the goalposts for people who are demonstrably more British than I am by this point.

R

In isolation, the Windrush scandal is exactly that, a scandal. A systemic failing by countless governments that needs to be remedied and rectified at the earliest opportunity.

In a wider context, this has again highlighted a political bugbear of mine - the concept of the political football and party politics.

There are certain issues that transcend party politics, or at least should do, but sadly there appears to be more political cache in exploiting the relevant issues for party gains than actually going some way to fixing them. The classic example of this would be the NHS - no party has covered themselves in glory where the NHS is concerned. It has been failed, is being failed, and will continue to be failed by our political parties because rather than tackle the issue as a cross-party working group or concern, they're all far too busy either blaming the other side for everything, or, making promises that later can't be kept - all with eyes on the prize of trying to grasp power at all costs.

Windrush is another example of this. Previous governments have failed. The current government has failed. There's enough blame to go around - here's an idea, fix it.

Trump is awesome, he is the man! I totally love all his tweets that piss everyone off, especially the media. I will definitely be voting for him again in 2020, because I can - multiple times if I could. Making America even more Great Again, after the gargantuan mess that was Obama/Hillary. Kick some butt, Mr. Trump!! :cool::cool::cool:

I totally love all his tweets that piss everyone off, especially the media.
Funnily enough his antagonistic and derisive attitude towards the media is one of the few things I like about him. That and all this recent talk about undermining the "rules-based international economic order" and the WTO and diminishing America's role in the world, those all sound like things I'd specifically put in a manifesto :p

Wow, my post got moved to this thread fairly quickly, and now it's completely out of context, like a post out of nowhere, lol... oh well! Enjoy it anyway! :)

The Windrush scandal just got worse the government are making people sign a nda these people are being gaged and I hope we get a soft brexit because I don't want al and united publications to go out of business.

Back