General Politics Thread

As a "younger" person, many of the people that voted Labour my age or younger simply hadn't lived through a Labour government as an adult.

They thought Labour were the "good guys", but they are slowly realising that they are just neoliberals like the Tories, just with different coloured ties.

There won't be any significant change for the ordinary working person over the next five years. Expect smaller parties like Reform, Greens, and independent candidates to do even better in 2029 - Labour and the Conservatives received their lowest combined vote share in general election history. People have and are losing faith in the two major parties and so are seeking alternatives to enact actual change.

However, the trouble with the major centrist parties failing is that it leaves fertile ground on both the left and the right, for extremism and populism to take hold.

Oh, and GPs voted to go on strike today.

Thing is, what was the alternative? 5 more years of Tories? At least Labour haven't had the time to shatter any laws, morals or ethics yet in the last month.
They are encouraging people to come on dinghies, they gave amnesty to 100k in the first week in power
£8 million a day on hotels etc for them, no wonder taxes go up, labour, the party that keeps on giving, unless your british

They are encouraging people to come on dinghies, they gave amnesty to 100k in the first week in power
£8 million a day on hotels etc for them, no wonder taxes go up, labour, the part that keeps on giving, unless your british

And the Tories flushed £700 million on a Rwanda scheme that saw a total of 0 people removed from this country. And in 2010, the last year of the previous Labour government, the number of asylum seekers was 17916, the lowest in 20 years to that point.

Please let me live in a world where a new government can fix everything in four weeks.

And the Tories flushed £700 million on a Rwanda scheme that saw a total of 0 people removed from this country. And in 2010, the last year of the previous Labour government, the number of asylum seekers was 17916, the lowest in 20 years to that point.

Please let me live in a world where a new government can fix everything in four weeks.
True, but literally the same part, apart from what colour tie they wear,
Me personally voted reform, same 2 party trick doesnt do anything,
Thing is those, tories started to slowly cut taxes,ni for example, and would of no doubt gone further, with labour, i will be paying more

£8 million a day on hotels etc for them, no wonder taxes go up, labour, the party that keeps on giving, unless your british

This is what is whipping up the British people and is why people in various towns are rioting and displaying social unrest. People mistakenly think it's about the weather (perhaps that has contributed) and the recent child murders, but these are things that have only served to break the camel's back. So perhaps it's somewhat unfair to lump this on Labour as it has been boiling away for over a decade now, if not more.

Any modern country needs a certain level of immigration, but it needs to be controlled, selective, and most importantly, benefit the economy and communities already living here. Huge numbers of unskilled people who can't find jobs doesn't benefit our country nor does it benefit the people coming over themselves, who end up going off the radar and working in the black economy.

I am no far-right extremist or Tommy Robinson sympathiser, far from it. I'd describe my politics as for the ordinary working-man and woman, a traditional Labour type of sorts. However, even I can see significant areas of our country have become fractured due to different communities living in parallel to each other.

No mainstream political party wants to touch these topics with a barge poll though, which leaves the likes of Reform UK to speak on it, which is less than ideal.

A lot of people (usually from white majority areas) like to say that ethnically diverse areas are failing, but having lived in one of the most ethnically diverse parts of the UK* for the past two decades I strongly disagree that the rhetoric is based on truth. I have never lived in a less fractured, more welcoming part of the UK - and I've lived in some very different locations. It's not a glamorous part of the capital and it's not perfect, but I love where I live and the local community is part of that. Don't believe everything you read in the press about the failure of multiculturalism.

I'm not going to argue about it being a bad idea to flood the streets with unemployable people with no support (though a lot of the immigrants do want to work and literally cannot because of the huge backlog of paperwork and legal chaos - a lot of them would vastly out-qualify a person like me, too). But as soon as the press and certain politicians stop pitting everyone against one another to distract them from problems with actual solutions, it's quickly apparent that we all have quite a lot in common.

R

* Source: census data, and anecdotal frequency of right wing politicians describing my home as a 'no go area' in the press while theatrically clutching their pearls.

A lot of people (usually from white majority areas) like to say that ethnically diverse areas are failing, but having lived in one of the most ethnically diverse parts of the UK* for the past two decades I strongly disagree that the rhetoric is based on truth. I have never lived in a less fractured, more welcoming part of the UK - and I've lived in some very different locations. It's not a glamorous part of the capital and it's not perfect, but I love where I live and the local community is part of that. Don't believe everything you read in the press about the failure of multiculturalism.

I'm not going to argue about it being a bad idea to flood the streets with unemployable people with no support (though a lot of the immigrants do want to work and literally cannot because of the huge backlog of paperwork and legal chaos - a lot of them would vastly out-qualify a person like me, too). But as soon as the press and certain politicians stop pitting everyone against one another to distract them from problems with actual solutions, it's quickly apparent that we all have quite a lot in common.

R

* Source: census data, and anecdotal frequency of right wing politicians describing my home as a 'no go area' in the press while theatrically clutching their pearls.

I do agree with your overarching point. Multiculturalism can be successful and has been successful in many parts of Britain - it truly is one of our country's success stories, that people can come over, contribute to our society, and integrate into British life. For example, British Sikhs have integrated into British society magnificently, many of whom served Britain in the first and second world wars. All the British Sikhs I have met have been some of the kindest and most generous people, they are a credit to Britain.

In my view, the major issue within this topic, is that we leave the discussion of immigration and cultural integration to the likes of Reform UK and Tommy Robinson types - who have their own agenda and talk about the issue in a derogatory way - Labour and the Conservative party simply do not talk about it (if at all) in a way that makes people who have these concerns feel listened to.

We should help asylum seekers where we can, of course. Our current system for processing asylum claims is an absolute joke at the minute - this needs to be funded properly and improved, then we can process applications more efficiently so that we can accept those who are genuinely seeking asylum and deport those who have their application rejected (instead of the Home Office losing all contact with them and never hearing from them again). I don't think there's any doubt that our asylum process does get abused by some people.

As sad as it is, it's not our duty to help and provide a job to every economic migrant who happens to live in a poorer area of the world. However, if someone from abroad has the skills and experience to benefit our economy and country, then by all means, let's welcome these people with open arms. Even then though, you could also argue that there is a moral and ethical question about taking the best and brightest from poorer countries - but as I said in my previous comment, any modern economy and country needs a certain level of immigration - it just has to be managed effectively for the benefit of the country.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say that Labour's flushed their honeymoon period down the toilet, what with the scrapping of Winter Fuel payments, Rachel Reeves blaming the Tories for it all, and intimating that the promise not to raise personal taxes will be broken at the next budget, and the racists taking any excuse to have a riot.

Things can only get better...
Boomers with paid off mortgages on houses they bought for tuppence ha'penny in 1970 and are now worth half a million quid absolutely deserve to have their winter fuel payments means tested in just the same way younger people aren't allowed benefits if they have more than 6k in the bank and have to wait until they're literally broke to claim anything. Also looking forward to the screeching of the NIMBYs as the turbines and tower blocks go up, perhaps it can be harnessed as another energy source.

As for the horror of the last few days, the justice system serves a purpose where there's doubt about guilt or innocence to be argued over. Human rights serve a purpose for those who haven't violated the rights of others. I think the best way to deal with a positively identified multiple child murderer is to just hand them over to the mob and be done with it.

Rui pretty much said everything I would have wanted to say and better than I could have, but @BrokenPhoenix I don't think I'd agree with you that the Conservative party in the last few years have been particularly silent on the topic of immigration. It's been a pretty endless stoking of fears, and banging on about Rwanda and small boats etc for quite a while. Even Labour chipped in on all that rhetoric more and more in the run up to the election too. Obviously I'd agree that the conversations being had there were all repugnant and unhelpful, but I don't entirely buy the line that immigration was some sort of taboo and ignored issue and these hate fuelled riots are springing out of a vacuum of discourse. Well maybe a vacuum of positive discourse about immigration as both main parties decided to demonise immigrants and throw them under the bus, but I do think these riots we've seen have been fermented by that hateful rhetoric in no small part.

@ayase
I've seen this sentiment been expressed a lot over last couple days, people wishing death on the murderer and saying they hope he gets shanked in prison or something. I really don't get this. What will the murder of this 17 year old child (who I think it's probably reasonable to assume has some serious mental health problems) achieve? It's not going to bring back those children, it's not going to make their families feel any better (I wouldn't imagine anyway). How would that help anything in any way? If anything that line of thought just leads to these sorts of violent riots we've seen recently.

it's not going to make their families feel any better (I wouldn't imagine anyway)
Perhaps it's a difference in attitudes from one person to the next, but I imagine seeing someone who deprived a person I love of their life (particularly if they did so in a horrible, violent way) deprived of their own would prove fairly satisfying and conclusive to me personally, and I suspect that would probably satiate the community's blood-lust rather than inflaming it. I'd hazard a guess that's not an uncommon sentiment throughout the world or throughout history given how historically popular capital punishment has been. It doesn't bring back the victims, but then neither does locking someone away for however many years or decades they have left to live on a life sentence (and this is definitely whole life sentence material, there'll be no redemption here). But depriving someone of the same thing they deprived others of does seem more fair. Once someone has committed a particularly heinous act the whys don't really matter any more, the fact is three kids will not get to live their lives, why should the person who took them get to live theirs? I don't feel any different in that regard to how I feel about world leaders who kill thousands of civilians in wars. It's unfortunate they can't be killed tens of thousands of times over as punishment, unless Hell exists, which I don't believe it does. So I think it's up to us here on Earth to mete out retribution ourselves. The usual argument I see against capital punishment is the possibility of executing an innocent party by mistake, which is why I don't believe it should be used in cases where there is any doubt about guilt. But when someone is certifiably guilty beyond all doubt? In those cases I don't see a problem with it.

With the best will in the world they can't just clean up the mess the tories made without there being a difficult period first. I still would like to give them the benefit of the doubt, they have got a lot to have to deal with.
I don't believe the tories have everyone's best interests at heart, similarly labour seem to be fairly singularly focused but hopefully we can meet somewhere in the middle.

@ayase
Personally I'm not convinced throwing this guy to a mob to tear apart will satiate their blood lust. I don't know that for a fact of course, but to me it seems naive to expect that would have some kind of civilising effect on society. Anyway, I'll never be able to get behind of state sanctioned murder regardless. Although I do think something like this is massively different to world leaders who callously but rationally kill civilians, it seems strange to me to compare. Netanyahu for example is obviously a detestable human who is pursuing a genocide, but it's calculated and rational because he wants Palestinian land and that is how he thinks he'll get it. The murderer in Southport however seems like he was some completely deranged teenager attacking random children. This is an assumption of course, and I'm not saying anyone should feel sorry for him in any case, but I don't think he's comparable to a Netanyahu-type of murderer. They're two very different kettles of fish.

Anyway I'd understand this sort of blood thirsty talk coming from the actual parents. But what I don't understand is it coming from totally random people who are not going through their grief, it can feel sort of preformative (I'm not saying you are being so here, ayase). The ones that really are showing empathy and compassion in my opinion are those who are actually supporting the bereaved community on the ground and actually being supportive and helpful

Last edited:
With regards to Southport, the torches and pitchforks need to be put down for a bit and the families of those killed and hurt need to find out why that guy did what he did if they are to gain any sort of closure.
As for attacking a mosque, that is absolutely deplorable, I was heartbroken at the whole thing, those little children having a fun day dancing to their favourite music, and turned into a nightmare. But then EDL fuelled hoardes attacking a place of worship and injuring a huge amount of police in the process... how on earth will that help anyone.
The most telling scenes were the local people coming together afterwards to clean up the mess. They didn't want that, they just want to grieve as a community and be given support from the rest of the country not hatred fuelled violence towards a religion.
No excuses, ever.
Yes I'm furious and confused at that one young lad, about the age of my own son, to do that shocking act, but that isn't representative of the Muslim faith; other people are not responsible for what he did, he alone is.
He is likely to last about 5 minutes in prison before he is lynched so it is hugely important before he gets put away that he gives answers for those poor families and the entire community. Heartbreaking, honestly.

but @BrokenPhoenix I don't think I'd agree with you that the Conservative party in the last few years have been particularly silent on the topic of immigration.

I see your point. Perhaps I didn't express myself fully. Whilst the Conservative party haven't been completely silent on the issue, their rhetoric hasn't been helpful and their actions on immigration policy haven't made people feel like they have been listened to over the last fourteen years - immigration only increased under the Tory government.

Whatever your political leanings on immigration are, there are significant numbers of people who feel that their concerns aren't being listened to or considered. When you ignore a large chunk of people and their concerns for many years, they're going to snap at some point.

It goes back to a philosophical question: should a government enact the will of the voters or should they enact their own will because "they know better"? For example, I don't think Labour said anything about removing the winter fuel allowance in their manifesto nor in the media during the campaign period.

The Conservative party won multiple general elections whilst running on a policy of "reducing immigration", yet this never happened. Even in Labour's manifesto in 2024, they said they will reduce immigration. You can only promise something for so long and not do it, before people start becoming disillusioned. This is why more extreme parties like Reform UK have become popular, because the centrist parties no longer speak to a lot of voters. If there is not going to be sensible discussion and policy surrounding immigration, then the likes of Reform/Farage and Tommy Robinson's gang will continue to dominate the discourse on immigration in this country.

The way we quell the far-right is by gradually dealing with the immigration and border issues, because then they have nothing to shout about. There's a huge political space for a party that deals with immigration properly but is also socially liberal.

To be clear however, I'm not condoning the riots and violence we have seen over the last few days.

Last edited:
Boomers with paid off mortgages on houses they bought for tuppence ha'penny in 1970 and are now worth half a million quid absolutely deserve to have their winter fuel payments means tested in just the same way younger people aren't allowed benefits if they have more than 6k in the bank and have to wait until they're literally broke to claim anything. Also looking forward to the screeching of the NIMBYs as the turbines and tower blocks go up, perhaps it can be harnessed as another energy source.
Including those pensioners who are just above the threshold to being entitled for pension credit due to having a small private pension? Yes they might benefit from selling their house for a large profit but that money will soon get absorbed with costs of moving to a different house, and some of those older houses might not be as appealing for some buyers due to needing work to bring them up to modern day standards (as a house built in the 1950/60s will be different to a rabbit hutch thrown up in the 2010s).

As for paving paradise to put up a tower block, back to the 1970s with expecting people to live in high rise tower blocks with a tiny communal garden for green space. Living in the countryside is a much better quality of life for some people compared to living in urban areas.

Endless house building is one thing, what tends to get forgotten is improving the underlying infrastructure to cope with the extra houses (sewage, water etc). Or even building houses without providing extra schools or extra healthcare so the existing schools/dentists etc have to cope with all the extra houses. Which in some cases are thrown up quickly by the building company and 5+ years down the line have serious issues.

Last edited:
@BrokenPhoenix

I generally agree with your point that as a country we haven't been having an honest discussion about immigration. Our political leaders haven't been honest with us about the necessity of immigration for our economy and society to function. So you're correct when you say that Conservatives stoking fear and hatred and campaigning on an anti-immigration platform, while knowing full well that they cannot reduce immigration to the level they're promising, is idiotic and short sighted and creating problems further down the road. It's like everyone who campaigned for Brexit on the promise of lower immigration, knowing full well that there wasn't a chance of that happening. I guess my point was though, that the only way some of these deprived majority white areas have been able to be so successfully targeted by more extreme anti-immigrant or racist groups is because our government already propagated that exact message and has used immigration as a scapegoat for inequality for a very long time.

But I don't agree with the other point you seem to be making (and forgive me if I've misread you) which is that we just need to deal with and reduce immigration, and that will solve the problem and the Farrages and Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennons of the world will disappear. That's not going to happen, because it's not possible to reduce immigration as low as Farage and co say they want (and I think Farage knows this very well) and for our country to still function normally. It wouldn't work now, and going forward with our declining birth rates and more climate migration needing to happen it's only going to be less and less viable and more complex, and saying we need to simply "deal with immigration and border issues" isn't really an honest place to start the discussion you want to have either in my opinion. Because we do need to discuss it, and we do need to recognise the problems with the system we have like the exploitation, and communities not being provided the support and infrastructure to deal with the changes. And at the same time also deal with the root causes of society's inequities (I think we both agree neolib capitalism is to blame). It's the kind of thing Corybyn understood and expressed perfectly. ultimately we are going to have to win the argument in favour of immigration.
It's not an easy thing to do, but I really don't think there's really any other alternative unless we want more of these sorts of riots.

Last edited:
But I don't agree with the other point you seem to be making (and forgive me if I've misread you) which is that we just need to deal with and reduce immigration, and that will solve the problem and the Farrages and Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennons of the world will disappear. That's not going to happen, because it's not possible to reduce immigration as low as Farage and co say they want (and I think Farage knows this very well) and for our country to still function normally. It wouldn't work now, and going forward with our declining birth rates and more climate migration needing to happen it's only going to be less and less viable and more complex, and saying we need to simply "deal with immigration and border issues" isn't really an honest place to start the discussion you want to have either in my opinion. Because we do need to discuss it, and we do need to recognise the problems with the system we have like the exploitation, and communities not being provided the support and infrastructure to deal with the changes. And at the time also deal with root causes of society's inequities (I think we both agree neolib capitalism is to blame). It's the kind of thing Corybyn understood and expressed perfectly. ultimately we are going to have to win the argument in favour of immigration.
It's not an easy thing to do, but I really don't think there's really any other alternative unless we want more of these sorts of riots.

I think we have a fair bit of common ground here. I agree that reducing immigration to the levels that Farage and company would like, is not feasible in a modern economy. However, the cause of Farage and Tommy Robinson/Yaxley-Lennon popularity is a result of our system being abused and nothing being done to improve or resolve it. You will always have Farage types in society, but their popularity is always linked to how well a government are handling certain issues.

I agree that immigration is a multi-faceted issue. Right now, we need immigration to prop up our economy and certain industries. Again, I agree, that declining birth rates are a problem (which is why immigration is so high at the moment) and the government needs to be making it easier for families to have children because otherwise we are just kicking the can down the road; all the migrants that settle here will one day be old too and their pensions will also have to be paid for by the working population.

I'm no politician but in my view, a smart government would begin by encouraging British citizens to have more children - get Britain f*cking again, so to speak. Then, you can start creating job opportunities and make it easier for people to train in key areas of our economy (e.g., lifting the cap on doctor and dental training places, for example).

You are right, places are having to accommodate new people that simply do not have the resources for that at the moment.

I think the argument of immigration has already been won. No reasonable person would argue for 0 immigration, the argument is about the levels of immigration we have into Britain moving forward. It goes back to my previous comment - the conservatives won multiple elections on the grounds that they would lower immigration and they failed to make any progress in that regard; it consistently went up over the fourteen years they were in power. Even Labour had a huge thing about "smashing the gangs" and lowering migration during their campaign this year.

At some point, if that's what the people are voting for, then the government has to begin the steps to making that a reality. Otherwise, you are going to end up with large numbers of people frustrated at the government over many years, which will only boil over at some stage; which we are seeing now.

There is a fair bit of common ground. But I'm not sure that the popularity of Farage types are necessarily factually tied to how well the government is or isn't handling immigration. Yes governments totally leave themselves open and look untrustworthy when they lean in to that same narrative about immigration and end up being unable to actually do anything. But why Farage is so effective in my opinion is what he does is points to real problems, like deprivation or unemployment and even some genuine issues with how immigration is handled in our society, but wilfully misdiagnoses the cause, immigration is to blame for every ill. It's basically the same thing Trump successful achieved (but I think Farage is a lot smarter in how he does this than Trump). So I'm not sure it would matter all that much if immigration reduced slightly, or even significantly, because as long as people's lives are crappy and they are struggling to get by, Farrage will always be able to come along and say "the reason you're struggling is because they still haven't reduced immigration enough, there's still too many foreign people taking your jobs etc etc". The same thing he says about Brexit, we left the EU but we didn't leave it hard enough. The only way we will effectively deal with these sorts of demagogues is by actually improving people's lives and living conditions. That's the only way. I also don't think we really have won the argument for immigration at all, and the fact the issue is so consistently exploited and mischaracterised by various factions to achieve power is proof of this. There does have to be a robust yet empathetic argument made that does include people who feel left out of this discussion. And honestly I do think it's going to be incredibly hard to bring people around to the idea that immigration isn't to blame for all of life's problems, but we have to and I think a lot of effort needs to go into this.

Whole system is unfair, always has been and always will be
At the end of the day, they are "economic migrants" most will never work, its just a fact, jobs are being cut everywhere so how and where will they work? Same with housing, not enough houses, so then its supply and demand, i believe farage is right about alot of things, but i do believe we need/want certain migration which will contribute to society, not the boat men
Kick in the teeth that as a brit ive had to pay upto 10k to get and keep my wife here for over 5 years, and then we see people coming here to stay free of charge, absolute pi**take

The migrant problem is a distraction, always has been. Back in the fifties and sixties, during the post-war reconstruction when the country was begging for immigrant labour, they were still treated like crap. All this no room at the inn nonsense now is just an excuse for the same old hatreds.

For forty years, successive governments have been cutting services, cutting investment, centralising. In my area, I've seen schools shut, hospitals close, libraries close, high streets turn to ghost towns, trying to do more and more with less and less. And they keep building boxes to trap people in. They call them houses, but they're urban prisons, and all these new developments lack the hospitals, schools, GP surgeries etc that they need. This is all the government's fault, but before anyone can call them out on it, they pull out a dog whistle and point at the migrants like Donald Sutherland at the end of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers.

EDIT: If people are complaining now, wait till climate change hits, and it's billions of people on the move instead of millions.

Back